Need some aftermarket hood ideas

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
Had a slight fender bender the other day and cracked my hood. I'm thinking it is going to have to be replaced. I think I want to go with something other than the stock hood. Anybody have any suggestions on hoods that look good on 01 Cobras? I would like something with functional heat extractors but I think I read 03/04 Cobra hoods have a large gap up front when used with 01 front bumpers. Anybody know if that's true? Other than that any suggestions would be appreciated. Pictures would be great. Car is mineral Gray with all stock 01 body parts and wing delete. Thanks.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Yea there is a pretty big gap with an 01 bumper and terminator hood. I like the 00 cobra r hood especially on wingless for some reason. Check out boss inc. hoods. Made from a direct copy of the real hood and then they added a nice cowl vent. It doesnt have the gay cut outs with the chicken wire screens in the back. Super light @ like 23lbs or so and durable. Very little to no prep work needed for the hood either.

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
I have a 03/04 Hood on my 99 Cobra and I love the look. The gap really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. The 99/01 bumper with the wingless look is amazing and people notice it too......or maybe it is because I haven't painted it yet ;-)

Here are a couple pictures of it for you to see

PIC-0402.jpg

PIC-0401.jpg

DT3.jpg

Auto-X.jpg

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
^ your car looks good but even in your first pic that hides the gap the best, there is still a noticeable gap. Your second to last pic from close to dead on shows a pretty large gap. The 03/04 cobra hood is slightly shorter than a stock hood and the "horns" of the bumper are slightly different. Add those 2 together and you get the gap. Lots of people drill new holes in the horns of the bumper to pull them back and towards the hood more to lessen the gap.

Im not saying all this to argue, cause its clearly all opinion on what looks good, but gaps that are relatively large like that just look unfinished and almost cheap IMO and are a pet peeve. Hoods that are on crooked drive me absolutely nuts for example.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Not the best pictures but you get the idea.

Old wheels
Newwheels3.jpg

New wheels
newwheels.jpg

Darkc0bra

....Pass
Established Member
^ your car looks good but even in your first pic that hides the gap the best, there is still a noticeable gap. Your second to last pic from close to dead on shows a pretty large gap. The 03/04 cobra hood is slightly shorter than a stock hood and the "horns" of the bumper are slightly different. Add those 2 together and you get the gap. Lots of people drill new holes in the horns of the bumper to pull them back and towards the hood more to lessen the gap.

Im not saying all this to argue, cause its clearly all opinion on what looks good, but gaps that are relatively large like that just look unfinished and almost cheap IMO and are a pet peeve. Hoods that are on crooked drive me absolutely nuts for example.

I agree with you it all comes down to what you really like. That little bit of a gap doesn't bother me and all my buddies around here that are car people really didn't notice it till I showed it too them :rolling: I just don't like to look of the 03/04 Front bumper, it is too "bulky" for my taste. So I have to deal with that little gap :beer:

I know you aren't arguing about it I completely understand where you are coming from and respect all opinion on stuff like this. As you said it all comes down to what "you", as the car owner, likes. Just FYI it drives me nuts about the hoods being on crooked as well :rockon: This 04 Hood fits beautifully all the way around but on the back passenger side it gets really close to the fender. No way around it I have tried everything :nonono: Outside that it clears everything 100% and all lines match up great.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
I agree with you it all comes down to what you really like. That little bit of a gap doesn't bother me and all my buddies around here that are car people really didn't notice it till I showed it too them :rolling: I just don't like to look of the 03/04 Front bumper, it is too "bulky" for my taste. So I have to deal with that little gap :beer:

I know you aren't arguing about it I completely understand where you are coming from and respect all opinion on stuff like this. As you said it all comes down to what "you", as the car owner, likes. Just FYI it drives me nuts about the hoods being on crooked as well :rockon: This 04 Hood fits beautifully all the way around but on the back passenger side it gets really close to the fender. No way around it I have tried everything :nonono: Outside that it clears everything 100% and all lines match up great.

Yea i threw in the not arguing part cause so many people take things way out of perspective on the internet haha. I agree with the 03/04 bumper seeming bulky, and thats why ill never change the 99 bumper i have now. Just aggressive enough and still sexy.

Is your passenger side fender set in a little at the hood area... maybe you could slide it out a 1/16 or something. I cant tell from the pic how all that lines up but its just a thought, if you havent already checked it.

99PunisherSVT

Established Member
IMHO the 99/01 Cobra front bumper is the best/most aggressive of all the new edge mustangs.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I'd go with a small cowl hood personally, I think it looks great on TBCobra's car.

The gap w/the Terminator hood and 99/01 bumper makes it look like the front bumper is sagging in the center.

fangs99

Established Member
H.O fibertrends 4 inch cowl...... They made the 95R, 00R, and cobra jet hoods for ford.... So the OEM quality is there.

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions. Anybody have a Saleen style or Tru-Fiber heat extractor hood? I found a couple of pictures on the web but not any real good quality ones.

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
Also Mr. Bodykit sells an 03/04 style heat extractor hood that they claim has no gap when used with v6/GT hoods. I called them and their rep said that they do sell a GT fit and an 03/04 front bumper fit made by VIS but the stock photo of the hood still shows a gap. I can't find any pics on the web of a 03/04 hood without the gap.

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
H.O fibertrends 4 inch cowl...... They made the 95R, 00R, and cobra jet hoods for ford.... So the OEM quality is there.

That is why I bought their 00 R hood. I wanted a hood that I knew would fit correctly and be a good quality piece. I had HO cut out my vents and install screens. Hood fit perfect and didn't need any major work. Just the basic prep you would do to any new panel you install on a car.

Neos281

Speedlab
Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions. Anybody have a Saleen style or Tru-Fiber heat extractor hood? I found a couple of pictures on the web but not any real good quality ones.

If you wait a few months, you may be able to pickup a Saleen Extreme (heat extractor hood). Now that Steve Saleen is back with the company, they are supposed to start back producing parts again. Below is the hood of my "E".

7004210326_92389e91c1_c.jpg

svt_vnenoso

Established Member
If you wait a few months, you may be able to pickup a Saleen Extreme (heat extractor hood). Now that Steve Saleen is back with the company, they are supposed to start back producing parts again. Below is the hood of my "E".

7004210326_92389e91c1_c.jpg

Do you have any updates on this? IMO this hood is the most aggressive OEM looking hood for a Cobra. Hopefully Steve hops on this and it comes to fruition soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread