need some help ASAP guys

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
hey gang,heres the problem.................ok,so im 600 miles away from home and the car is acting up.im so pissed.

heres the deal. the car runs good,but has a intermittant problem.like its running great then all of a sudden there is a loss of power,not completly,but if i try to push the gas it sputters and bucks its sounding like its running out of gas,but it has gas.then it will run ok then do this shit again.

also ,yesterday just cruising along and i can feel the car starting to sputter,then it wont rev past 2200rpm and when i got off on the exit ramp it died.so i let it sit for a sec. checked all fluids(all ok)tried to start,it wouldent,turned the key a few times to prime the fuel pump,and it started up and ran fine for a while till it started sputtering and bucking about a hour of driving later?

i made a few stressed phone calls yesterday on the side of the road and the suggestions were to either check the fuel filter or the pump.but if it was the pump would there be any gas?the last time the filter was changed was 40,000mi ago and in that time my car sat for 9 months for a motor swap,could this be it?

its been about 1500mi since the motor swap and the car ran perfect till now.i dont know what to do?

p.s anyone know of a shop i can bring this thing to in madison, wi.

any help app.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I'd change the fuel filter first. If it has that many miles on it and sat for that long, most likely something is lodge in there....

Another thing like already stated is the Fuel pumpp. Sounds like the fuel pump could be getting hot. Does this happen when its low on gas or all the time?

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
thanks for the replys,funny you mention the pump heating up,on one stretch of road i had about a 1/4 tank and it was acting up,so i filled up and it drove great for about an hour,then the same thing.but it happens regardless of how much fuel i have.

how is the car coming brian?

Brian's 00GT

Established Member
The blower is bracketed on, but the piping isn't hooked up yet. We decided to make some changes to the intercooler and piping. It should be finished this weekend. That T-trim is sick sounding. It sounds like a herd of cats are caught in my fanbelt. :lol:

I hope that you can get yours working right again.

Brian

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
well before this it was doing awesome.the 5.4 has soooo much much more tq. the power band with the 4.6 was 2800 to 6500,now its 1800 to 6000.nuff said.and this is not a very optimized set up but im glad i went this route.the engine is begging for some forced air.

the sound of a dohc 5.4 is very deep compared to the 4.6.

how are things in the south brian.?now that im in pa. i need to keep in touch w/ everyone,take some pics at the get togethers for me.

Brian's 00GT

Established Member
Everything down here is fine. I haven't been out much lately due to work. How long are you in PA for? Your sig still says Hammond. I'll be sure to take some pics the next time everyone gets together.

Brian

forged5.4dohc

Established Member
thanks for the the help guys,i got the fuel filter changed,and it runs like a champ again.it was really clogged.

i lucked out and found a good local shop to do it,they only charged me 43$ total.

im in pa for wyotech.i'll be here for the next year.got to get my education you know.

im taking high per. engine,and tube frame fab.

Users who are viewing this thread