Need some help...fraudulent charges on wife's credit

mhays26

Whats that sound?
Established Member
My wife has been getting some calls on strange charges to a card that we cant find she has ever owned or opened. The strange part is that the goods that are being purchased are being sent to my parents house 250 miles away. We have been able to get the last 4 of the card, the expiration and we know its Visa, but cant track it further than that. The card being used is also in her maiden name still. We have been married for over a year and a half and she has changed everything. Anybody have any help or pointers? We have already put an alert out to the big 3, but we would really like to figure out the number on the card to cancel it or at least inform them. Oh yeah, we also have an email address that they left for one of the orders. Figure I will at least pile nasty emails in it.

TexRob

Established Member
I would contact Visa first,hopefully by giving them the last 4 Numbers,& where the purchases are being made from,they can track the card & get it cancelled,Good luck,the same thing happened with my wife 5 years ago,she still has the fraud alert on her credit.

mhays26

Whats that sound?
Established Member
I would contact Visa first,hopefully by giving them the last 4 Numbers,& where the purchases are being made from,they can track the card & get it cancelled,Good luck,the same thing happened with my wife 5 years ago,she still has the fraud alert on her credit.

First thing I thought of. They said since they had so many banks and what not that have their card, there was no way they could do that simply on the last 4. Sounded bs to me, but thats what they said. And of course, I cant talk to them because its her card, so I am trying to coach her while shes on the phone in tears to the people. Thanks for the help though.

Juruense

Banned
Go to www.annualcreditreport.com and pull her credit for free. If the account is in her name it will be listed on the report along with the account number, account limit, and account balance. Then contact the creditor and inform them of the identity theft.

birch

Go 'Eers!
Established Member
Get a credit report too. (Transunion, Experian etc) Just in case some other crap is opened that you don't know about yet. With Experian, you can get it for free and print it out immediately, and not have to wait for it to come in the mail.

Me and the wife has gone through the same crap, so I know how you feel.

Last edited:

TexRob

Established Member
First thing I thought of. They said since they had so many banks and what not that have their card, there was no way they could do that simply on the last 4. Sounded bs to me, but thats what they said. And of course, I cant talk to them because its her card, so I am trying to coach her while shes on the phone in tears to the people. Thanks for the help though.
That Sucks! Well stupid question, but have you tried contacting the Companies shipping these Items to her Parents house? They should have the Full C/C Number that is being used to buy these items,if they won't give you the info,file a Police Report & I bet they will give it up for the Detective assigned to the case,may take awhile,but it would be worth a try at this point,Good luck,I think Identity thieves should be Shot,these scumbags create so much havoc it's not funny!:fm:

Sonic_GT

Established Member
does your wife have an existing account with this bank? sometimes what will happen is that you may have an existing account and it will be converted or they will change the account number due to the account being bought out. if she does have an existing account with that bank, have her call in with her existing account# to the customer service # on the back of the credit card and ask them if they are able to pull up the account that has the fraud charges on it. if they can pull up the account, ask to speak with their fraud department or identity theft unit. calling the big 3 was a good step. did she have an account that she thought was closed off before you got married? sometimes people think that by not using the account it will automatically be closed after a period of time. that could explain why the items are being sent to a family members house. another thing to take into consideration is family fraud.

mhays26

Whats that sound?
Established Member
Go to www.annualcreditreport.com and pull her credit for free. If the account is in her name it will be listed on the report along with the account number, account limit, and account balance. Then contact the creditor and inform them of the identity theft.

Going to try this. Already did the experian credit report and asked each institution to check all those accounts and asked if there were any others in her name. Still havent found it so far.

does your wife have an existing account with this bank? sometimes what will happen is that you may have an existing account and it will be converted or they will change the account number due to the account being bought out. if she does have an existing account with that bank, have her call in with her existing account# to the customer service # on the back of the credit card and ask them if they are able to pull up the account that has the fraud charges on it. if they can pull up the account, ask to speak with their fraud department or identity theft unit. calling the big 3 was a good step. did she have an account that she thought was closed off before you got married? sometimes people think that by not using the account it will automatically be closed after a period of time. that could explain why the items are being sent to a family members house. another thing to take into consideration is family fraud.

We dont know what bank it is, thats the problem. Cannot find a trail of the card with that number anywhere. We have one account through a bank that she closed when we moved away from home. That is the only one we havent been able to check so far. Maybe thats it?? It was one of those small town bank credit cards.

That Sucks! Well stupid question, but have you tried contacting the Companies shipping these Items to her Parents house? They should have the Full C/C Number that is being used to buy these items,if they won't give you the info,file a Police Report & I bet they will give it up for the Detective assigned to the case,may take awhile,but it would be worth a try at this point,Good luck,I think Identity thieves should be Shot,these scumbags create so much havoc it's not funny!:fm:

One of the companies shipping the stuff is where we got the information from. They "said" they didnt have the full number, but gave us the last 4 and the expiration and told us it was Visa. We filed a police report last night, now we gotta try to get them to do some investigating on it.

Last edited:
go to http://www.lifelock.com and sign up for that...it's instant credit lockdown, anyone tries to take out a loan, use your SS#, or get a credit card in your name, the lender must contact you and get your direct approval, costs about $9 a month, and they guarantee you up to $1,000,000 to represent you, track down the people who did it, and cover any expenses you may incur because of it. $108 a year is a very small price to pay for peace of mind.

mhays26

Whats that sound?
Established Member

OK this didnt work for her. Because we put the fraud alert out on the big 3, it wont let us get a credit report online. I guess that means its working at least a little bit.

ff500

Established Member
try equifaxmonitoring service, its $99 for the year but you can pull unlimited equifax reports for the year and one report from all 3, its done online and you'll be able to pull her report right away. I check mine weekly as someone twice has tried to use my SS#.

Juruense

Banned
I would suggest you contact you local credit bureau, every major city has one call them up. They will be able to give you the most accurate advice and they will not charge you anything.

Users who are viewing this thread