Need Some Help! New Engine Start.

BarneyOnSteroid

Established Member
So first I used the garden sprayer method to prime everything before I tried to crank it. On my first attempt to start it, it cranked nicely but I got no puff, cough, or pop telling me that their was anything going on in the cylinders. I then checked the compression and considering this is a freshly built engine with rings that haven't had the chance to seat yet, I got pretty strong readings, so I marked that worry off of my list. I proceeded to check to see if it was a fuel delivery issue by spraying some starter in there... Nothing. This is when I concluded that my problem had to be ignition (although I still probably need to change out my fuel considering how old it is). I checked for an arc on the spark plugs and worked my way up. No arc coming from plugs. Put voltage tester on COP's. Nothing from them either, so I checked the individual connectors going to the COP's and didn't get anything from them either. So all that has me thinking that it is probably a computer related issue. I figure something may have been left disconnected and it won't send ignition without it. I plan to borrow a code reader from a buddy of mine later this week. Let me know what you guys think on the situation. I would love to hear some more opinions, thanks!

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Did you work on the ignition recently? What changes did you make while the engine was being rebuilt?

BarneyOnSteroid

Established Member
I put in some new spark plugs and thats about it. I think something might have been left disconnected and the computer doesn't want to send ignition without it.

RPM4DAZ

Because stock sucks!!
Established Member
Check and make sure the crank pick up is plugged in. That is the sensor that gets trigger by the wheel behind the crank damper. Plug looks like an injector plug if I remember correctly. When they fail it is pretty instantly.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Yup double check all connections and grounds. Did you reattach the driver side ground from the block to the frame rail?

BarneyOnSteroid

Established Member
RPM4DAS- I'll have to look into that, that is a good thought. Hopefully I didn't mix up the trigger wheels I had laying around... smh

99COBRA2881- All grounds were labeled and connected back to their stock location, but I will go back and check it over, thanks for the info.

BarneyOnSteroid

Established Member
Might have mixed up the 96-98 trigger wheel that was supposed to go on there with the 03-04 trigger wheel which is thinner and shaped different. I cant remember which one I used though and I would hate to take that timing cover back off just to see that the right one is on there.

Users who are viewing this thread