Need some help please! Bad EGR valve?

hbk_136

Established Member
Ok here is the deal. I recently replaced the EGR and DPFE sensor on my 2003 supercharged lightning, because it was throwing the P0401 code. Now I have an interesting issue.

Whenever I start the truck up with the vacuum line attached the EGR, the idle hunts up and down repeatedly like a big vacuum leak. However, whenever I remove the vacuum line from the top of the EGR valve and plug it, the truck fires RIGHT up and idles perfectly!? Can someone narrow this down for me, any similar experiences. I am getting no codes except P0171 (lean bank 1, nearly always a vacuum leak code). And for the record, the EGR valve and DPFE sensors were purchased from NAPA, so they are no longer motorcraft parts. But I believe I have the "new and improved" plastic DPFE sensor that replaces the junk metal one I hear are notorious for going bad on these trucks....did I get a bad aftermarket EGR valve? I just want various opinions on which issue to tackle first so I know where to start....someone has to have had this issue.

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
sounds like it may be stuck open....I dont know for sure off hand. Either way id jsut delete the EGR and call it a day man

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
A delete would def be the easiest thing to do. You may be able to take the valve off and try cleaning it if you don't want to do a delete.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
If the EGR valve was stuck open it would do the same thing wether it was plugged in or not. You've probly got a bad controller. If you have any local L buddies with a good functioning EGR buy them some beer and swap it for theirs to confirm that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread