need some help with a clunk

jamescb77

Established Member
Ok guys i just bought this car a few weeks ago and im trying to get everything lined up so it's in tip top shape. The car has MM full sfc and the full coilover package from MM. as soon as i got it it needed rear wheel bearing so i got those done and had it aligned. everything went in pretty good except for the rear camber on the passenger rear is pretty positive instead of a little negative(sorry don't have the sheet with me). Also from the passenger rear a get a good clunk but im not sure where it's from. IM thinking upper strut mount. Does anyone have any idea what this might be and if it is connected with the camber being out. thanks james

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
First, get it aligned properly. You should not have positive camber at all. Remind the alignment guy it has an eccentric bolt for camber adjustment or take to somebody more competent.

Second, you bought coilovers. You are mistaken if you assumed and expected the car to be quieter.

Third, it's an IRS Cobra. Clunks are part of the game. Sorry.

Fourth, your description is lacking a bit of information. In between using the search function and checking the responses that are flowing into this thread, update the details of this "clunk." Does it just happen when you look at the car? Accelerate? Change gears?

jamescb77

Established Member
First, get it aligned properly. You should not have positive camber at all. Remind the alignment guy it has an eccentric bolt for camber adjustment or take to somebody more competent.The car was aligned and he said the eccentric bolt is maxed thus he could not get the camber to come in properly this is my concern

Second, you bought coilovers. You are mistaken if you assumed and expected the car to be quieter. I don't expect the car to be a lexus but this clunk is not somethign normal. I understand normal full suspension car sounds i have rode in many cars with full suspension and i fully expect the carr to have a decent bit of rode noice.

Third, it's an IRS Cobra. Clunks are part of the game. Sorry. Once again this is not a normal clunk. IM not and idiot and i have search but haven't came up with anything that is relevant to what i am hearing.

Fourth, your description is lacking a bit of information. In between using the search function and checking the responses that are flowing into this thread, update the details of this "clunk." Does it just happen when you look at the car? Accelerate? Change gears?
Ill try and be a bit clearer in the description so maybe i can get to the bottom of this. The clunk comes from right behind the rear passenger seat. It is a hard thunk sound. It happens when you go over bumps. under normal smooth driving there is no sound or anything like that. It's not the same sound as the left side and i know it's not a normal sound. Do these cars have a problem with wearing upper shock mounts? this is what i think it may be. I haven't had time to tear the trunk apart and get to the shock mount from the top and see what it looks liek yet though. I was under the car yesterday at the dyno and everything seemed to be ok from the bottom side. I wish i could explain it better threw words but it's a little hard.

mu22stang

Established Member
The MM coilover kit comes with entirely new upper shock mounts. I would make sure the lower portion of the upper shock mount is seated properly in the shock tower hole. The white high density plastic has a circular groove shelf that must fit inside this hole in order to completely seat the coilover. Assuming you don't have the spherical hard mounts, the upper portion of the upper shock mount should be new and made of rubber, so it shouldn't be a source of the clunk. The rubber upper mount may creak under normal driving. This can be remedied with grease.

jamescb77

Established Member
ok thanks ill check that and see if that is it. It's far from a creak but sounds like something is slightly loose almost. maybe that lower portion of the mount didn't get seated. like i said i didn't install the kit it was on there when i bought the car. IM trying to make everything as it should be and good to go so i have no worries while ripping on the car

mu22stang

Established Member
It's easy to check the seat of the upper shock bolt.

-Pull out trunk interior side panel
-Remove upper shock nut, washer, bushing
-Inspect alignment in the hole

If it is out of alignment, you only need to jack the corner of the car that's not seated properly an inch or two until the lower portion of the upper mount comes loose. Hold the coilover in place from the topside and slowly lower the jack.

It wouldn't hurt to poke around with the car on a lift or jack stands, too. Run a torque wrench on all the suspension hardware and check the integrity of all the bushings.

Users who are viewing this thread