Need some quick input on gear installation...

vita

Established Member
Im looking at going to 4.10 and was wondering, when buying a kit from AM, would you recommend picking up anything else? There's the rear end installation kit, the installation and bearing kit, the Traction-LOK rebuild kit...

I do have a small squeal starting from whenever my clutch is engaged, so I imagine my throw out bearing is going out. Is there a better kit I should buy separate to get it replaced or would one of the above cover it?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would go ahead and get the rear end rebuild kit unless your car has 30k or less on it. If your clutch is squeaking when the pedal is out it could be your tob. If you buy one get a frpp one.

vita

Established Member
The vehicle has 100K miles on it, so I'll look into the rear end rebuild kit. When buying the TOB, is there a separate kit for that as well needed?

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
Throw Out Bearing and rear end rebuild kits are two entirely different animals. If your TOB is bad, you'll need to buy a new one separately and drop the transmission to replace.

vita

Established Member
Would I need to only replace the TOB when I get it fixed? Nothing else is needed to be changed?

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
I don't understand your question. Replace the TOB when you get it fixed? The TOB isn't a serviceable part. It is a replaceable part. If it is whining, you'll need to buy a new Ford item in its place. And you can change it separately without having to change anything else. However, while you're in there I'd also look at the pivot stud and clutch fork. Maybe even a new clutch/pressure plate if you aren't sure of their age.

zPipes

Established Member
Yea, your TOB is up by your clutch, opposite end of your drivetrain as your rear gears lol. If you want to replace your TOB, you will want to just go ahead and get a new pilot bearing, clutch fork, pivot ball, and clutch kit. You don't just drop the transmission for a TOB.

As for the rear, yes replace it all at the same time you get the new gears installed.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I disagree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you do ALOT of clutch dumps and have lots of power, just do the complete rear install kit and the TOB if you think that is bad.

zPipes

Established Member
I can usually agree with you oldgrey. I say this to him because I don't think he does his own work, and the labor on that can be pretty high to drop the trans. So I suggested to replace it all while it was out to save the high labor costs of having it redone when the clutch goes.

But OP as far as the rear goes, its pretty clear everyone has the same suggestion to replace it all. I know its another 80 bucks, check the section here in the market, can usually find parts there even bnib. GL

Users who are viewing this thread