Need some schooling on nitrous

old_goat

Established Member
First of all, please allow me to put things in context before starting. I purchased a 2005 auto Pontiac GTO with the LS2 and it was the first performance car I had owned since the late 1980's when I had two 5.0 Mustangs. I was looking to bump up the performance of the GTO and was watching some youtube videos when one showed an intake manifold blowing off a car being dyno'd due to nitrous. Unfortunately the wife was looking over my shoulder and asked what happened. I mentioned nitrous, and she mentioned that it was a good thing that our cars would never have nitrous. Her hint, but she's been cool as I've modded the GTO, a G8 GXP, and my present car and never bitched about it.

Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO_IKre1cBk

Now to our present days.

I read a nice article in the March 2014 issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords (pp 72-79) about a nitrous kit from BBR called the Reaper H/K nitrous kit. The article was very interesting, however it didn't take into account nitrous newbies and things such as tuning (if needed), when to turn on the nitrous, etc. It seemed like the article was written for those who are familiar with nitrous, but it was a bit advanced for nitrous newbies.

The article did give an explanation between a wet and dry shot, which helped, but that's about all at my level.

Since I'm old school, advanced things I would see would be things like head/cams, but nothing concerning as Paul Walker would say..........NOS.

My cars have all been just bolt ons, tune, long tubes, Nitto's, CAI, 3200 stalls in the Pontiacs, so I never did any advanced mods to any cars.

No, I don't need NOS, but I'm curious about it. Mainly the safety of using nitrous, when to turn the switch on (this would be used only for running the quarter miles at Royal Purple a few times a year in my daily driver), the safety of the drive train, and the tune if needed.

Just for the record, until I read this article, I never even considered nitrous, however the idea of getting a $500 10 second quarter mile pass, and getting kicked off the track is very compelling.

So if anybody could link me to a quick nitrous primer or give me a quick schooling, it would be appreciated.

Last edited:

CharlieR

Established Member
Let's see, Tune? without a doubt but I believe the BBR comes with it(not sure, new MMFF is in kindle will read it).
When to turn it on? At the track, after burnout, before launch leave it on till your win light is on. :)
I'd also recommend a window switch to keep the nitrous from spraying below 2500(you may be slower, o.k. You will be slower than spraying off idle but it is safer. And a high cut off somewhere before the rev limiter. I've been spraying a dry kit for almost 3 full years(1st dyno on spray was 2/11). One thing you must know about any(all) power adders is there is risk involved. Just because Others have done N2O(or blower,turbo whatever)does not mean nothing can go wrong.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
You'll love nitrous! The guys here were very helpful when I was hitting snags wiring up my kit. I was in your same situation. I didn't know much about nitrous, but I wanted to go faster without putting boost on stock internals. I just read as much as I could about it, Frankenstein'd a kit together from the classified section, and started blowing fuses until I got it right. Good times!!

clean92lx

Established Member
Call Steve at BBR. He can answer all your questions and concerns and get you set up with a good tune. Nitrous is just as "safe" as a supercharger or turbo when the car is properly tuned and definitely get a window switch for added safety.

And I doubt royal purple raceway will kick you off the track for running 10's even though they would be justified, but that place is a joke when it comes to tech inspections and following rules on ET's.

CharlieR

Established Member
Looked at it, doesn't "come with" the tune for 399 but bet it wouldn't add much $$ as you have a handheld already. No window switch either, so factor that in also.

P.S. Hidden dry kit, never been done before? lol guess things that happened in 2011 (and were in April 2012 issue)didn't really happen. Silly, silly magazine. :)

Users who are viewing this thread