Need Some Technical Support with a Predator

rlearp

Established Member
I just received a new Predator for my 2004 Lightning after an extremely protracted RMA situation (57 days, Diablosport RMA/Support leaves a lot to be desired).

In preparation for the new Predator coming, 12 days ago I had my 2004 Lightning reflashed to factory spec by the local Ford dealer. I have the documentation from the Ford dealer to show that the work was done.

I received the new Predator today and tried to get it to download a 91 Octane Pulley tune. The Predator indicates that it will not download a performance tune to a vehicle with a modified tune.

Now, my old Predator used to work before it went on the fritz and had to be replaced, so, the truck will accept tunes, at least it used to.

My thoughts are that the particular Ford calibration in my truck isn't in the Predator's memory so the Predator refuses to download anything. Ford can certainly change calibrations on a whim and may have released a calibration that superceeds anything put out in 03 or 04.

Is there a way to force it to download a tune?
This is my daily driver and tow truck and I need to get something in there safe so I can tow next weekend (6 lb, CAI, MAF, cat back) for racing.

Thanks,
Ron

Dbl G

Develop-Mental
Established Member
I hate to go here but, Ford hires techs that sometimes are less then,,, Shall we say qualified. I would retrace your steps. Last place first, it must not have re-flashed properly.

Stewart_H

Never Fry Bacon NAKED
Established Member
In preparation for the new Predator coming, 12 days ago I had my 2004 Lightning reflashed to factory spec by the local Ford dealer. I have the documentation from the Ford dealer to show that the work was done.

Well, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's been my understanding that when Ford flashes the PCM, all they do is download the latest updated calibration (or whatever you call it) from the factory, into the module.

That's why some guys have gone to the trouble of securing the OBD II port, so a service tech cannot access it without the owners permission.

It doesn't matter why your vehicle is in the service bay, to get tires rotated, an oil change, or a transmission replaced: Accessing the PCM to flash it with the latest updated calibration is a commonplace thing they do, and they do it without advising you in advance, or letting you know after it's done. You must scrutinize the paperwork, when you pick your vehicle up, which will tell you if it's been done.

Once a flash is done, the dealership cannot reflash the "old" calibration back into the vehicle. All they can do is the latest, greatest calibration.

Eric, is this info essentially correct?

Stewart

rlearp

Established Member
Once a flash is done, the dealership cannot reflash the "old" calibration back into the vehicle. All they can do is the latest, greatest calibration.

Stewart

Thanks Stewart, I hope some folks can respond to you to help me out.

If that is all Ford will do then Diablosport told me wrong to go have it reflashed to stock specs if their Predator wouldn't write to it after the re-flash. Diablosport are the ones that asked me to have the truck re-flashed.

I'm basically stuck with a modified truck and a stock tune, a dangerous combination for my intended towing next week. I'll have to go back and bolt the stock components on if this can't be sorted, and I have little faith Diablosport can solve it. They did charge me $120 though, they can do that well.

ecoastkid

Established Member
Diablosport should be able to tell you how to force a tune on there...but then you wont have the factory backup....Your def in a pickle

rlearp

Established Member
I'm asking them, but I don't know that I'll get an answer. Anyone on the board know how to force it? Seems like if there was a way someone would have written about it on the forum but a search turns up nothing.

ponygrrl

Lethal Performance Rep.
Established Member
rlearp,

No there's no way to force it. Are you 100% positive Ford actually flashed your PCM and didn't just check to see that it was on the latest update? If they looked and saw that your CALID was current, they may not have flashed it. They need to use IDS and flash it as a BLANK PCM. Most techs are absolute idiots when it comes to that and will say they can't do that. Well, YOU CAN. I used to work at Diablosport and flashed MANY PCMs that way.

It really sounds like your last Predator tune is still in there, bc the Predator will see it and say there's a tune already in the vehicle.

Other things to check, although I doubt will fix the problem, is that your Predator is on the latest revision. See if it reads CALID, too.

rlearp

Established Member
Ponygrrl, you aren't Christina are you? No matter, thanks for the help!

The info is as follows:

V.09r10 is shown when the Predator boots
d0024fa is the serial number
u7158 Lightning is the part number

Calibration ID that is read using the Predator (I assume truck calibration ID) is TAUF0YZ

Here is the invoice from the Ford dealer from when I had them reflash it 13 days ago:

workorder.JPG

ponygrrl

Lethal Performance Rep.
Established Member
Ponygrrl, you aren't Christina are you? No matter, thanks for the help!

The info is as follows:

V.09r10 is shown when the Predator boots
d0024fa is the serial number
u7158 Lightning is the part number

Calibration ID that is read using the Predator (I assume truck calibration ID) is TAUF0YZ

Here is the invoice from the Ford dealer from when I had them reflash it 13 days ago:

workorder.JPG

Depends, was Christina helpful? Apologies if not!

That's a very odd situation. Not to discredit Ford but I'm wondering if they didn't really flash it, like I said, but just scanned to see if it was on a current calibration.

If it was an unsupported CALID, it would read a different message, such as "Vehicle Not In Database".

Do you have a friend at a Ford dealer you can slip a 6pack to and have him flash with IDS? I wish you were local, I'd flash it myself! lol.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
Well, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it's been my understanding that when Ford flashes the PCM, all they do is download the latest updated calibration (or whatever you call it) from the factory, into the module.

That's why some guys have gone to the trouble of securing the OBD II port, so a service tech cannot access it without the owners permission.

It doesn't matter why your vehicle is in the service bay, to get tires rotated, an oil change, or a transmission replaced: Accessing the PCM to flash it with the latest updated calibration is a commonplace thing they do, and they do it without advising you in advance, or letting you know after it's done. You must scrutinize the paperwork, when you pick your vehicle up, which will tell you if it's been done.

Stewart

Basically, yes. The dealer more than likely just checked to see if the latest calibration is loaded and they just uploaded the newest calibration into the PCM. When they reprogrammed the PCM did they ask for all of your keys? The keys would need to be reprogrammed to the HEC if a new PCM was installed which is basically what would be doing. We are not allowed to reflash or recalibrate any PCM unless we are told to do so by a Ford publication. We do not need to ask the customer if it is okay with them to do it unless it is COD work.

As far as Ford is concerned there shouldn't be a tune in there in the first place.

As, already stated, it would need to be completely reprogrammed using the As-Built data like it was a new replacement PCM.

But I could be completely reading this incorrectly due to me being one of those "absolute idiots".

rlearp

Established Member
Depends, was Christina helpful? Apologies if not!

That's a very odd situation. Not to discredit Ford but I'm wondering if they didn't really flash it, like I said, but just scanned to see if it was on a current calibration.

If it was an unsupported CALID, it would read a different message, such as "Vehicle Not In Database".

Do you have a friend at a Ford dealer you can slip a 6pack to and have him flash with IDS? I wish you were local, I'd flash it myself! lol.

Yes, Christina was extremely helpful - about the only person at Diablosport that seemed to want to actually solve the problem and take care of the customer.

I left my keys in the truck for the 2 hours I was at the dealer, so yes, they had my keys.

Ok, I'm an idiot. Can you or RIDE THE (man I wish we used real names here) tell me EXACTLY what verbage I should use when I visit the Ford Dealer tomorrow morning to get what I need?

Thanks!
Ron

ponygrrl

Lethal Performance Rep.
Established Member
Yes, Christina was extremely helpful - about the only person at Diablosport that seemed to want to actually solve the problem and take care of the customer.

I left my keys in the truck for the 2 hours I was at the dealer, so yes, they had my keys.

Ok, I'm an idiot. Can you or RIDE THE (man I wish we used real names here) tell me EXACTLY what verbage I should use when I visit the Ford Dealer tomorrow morning to get what I need?

Thanks!
Ron

Then yes, I am Christina LOL!

Ok what you need to do is tell them to flash it as a BLANK PCM. (Basically, treat it as brand new). If need be, they can call me and I can explain it. Just call Lethal and ask for Christy (561-753-8105).

There's no reason the Predator would give that message after a complete reflash.

ponygrrl

Lethal Performance Rep.
Established Member
But I could be completely reading this incorrectly due to me being one of those "absolute idiots".

I wasn't trying to insult the ones who actually know what they're doing.

Working at Diablo I had to deal with NUMEROUS techs who had absolutely no clue. There are many execptions. Hell, the only other person besides me who does anything to my car is my buddy Dennis who is a Ford Tech. Apologies. :(

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
^^^^

No apologies needed. I was just busting your balls. Ummmmmmmmm, not sure if that is physically possible or not????
headscratch.gif

Anyways,

Welcome to SVTP.
:thumbsup:​

rlearp

Established Member
Thanks for all the help with this - the fault lay at the Ford dealer. When I went in this morning it turned out they'd reflashed something else - ABS or Airbag stuff, not the PCM. There was a bit of a discussion about it, and I finally said please just do what is written here - reflash it as brand new as per this post - 30 mins later everything was good and I was able to download the Predator tune to the truck. Thanks again for the help!

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread