Need some trouble shooting help

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
Hey guys. Trying to figure out why I can't get my Cobra running and was hoping to get some tips/advice on what the culprit could be. Swapped out the timing cover, lower intake, replaced my gen 1 JLT pre filter/K&N open filter for a catch can setup and after getting the car back together I can't keep the thing running for the life of me. First turn she fires right up but dies after a second or two and if I give it gas she dies instantly.

The car has been sitting without a battery since November and I noticed that the theft light was flashing like crazy, so I contacted my tuner to get a revised tune with PATS disabled after reading a few threads pertaining to that sort of issue. After getting the tune loaded I am unfortunately getting the same results as before so that doesn't appear to be the problem. I then took a look at my IAC and saw that it was stuck open so I sprayed it with some brake cleaner hoping that it would break loose, but ended up with no luck. I also noticed that if I unplug my IAC she has the same symptoms, yet if I completely remove the IAC then she'll start up and stay running at about 3k followed by some backfiring.

I checked for codes after these steps and the only one I found was P1000 which doesn't really help me.

Any trouble shooting tips you could send my way or have any idea what the problem could possibly be?

Last edited:

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My gut reaction is MAF sensor, but I'm no expert. Could be dirty or clocked wrong?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Easy check for the MAF is to unplug it abs try to start the car. You'll get a CEL, but it'll start if the MAF is the problem

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
My gut reaction is MAF sensor, but I'm no expert. Could be dirty or clocked wrong?

Sounds like MAF sensor in backwards.

Easy check for the MAF is to unplug it abs try to start the car. You'll get a CEL, but it'll start if the MAF is the problem

Go freaking figure guys, checked the MAF and I had it mounted backwards. It's the smallest items that create the biggest issues.

Re-clocked the MAF and she started right up like a champ. Now I'm noticing that the intercooler pump isn't flowing so I'll hit the return line with my shop vac before I purchase a new one.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the assistance.

jwcobra03

Established Member
Take the upper hose on the intercooler tank off, blow into it. You'll hear it flow through the intercooler and the air will be purged out. Should flow fine after that.

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
All set with the intercooler pump now. Removed the upper hose and ran a shop vac through it till the air pockets came up. Reattached the hose then tripped the pump and bam I've got the proper flow.

Thanks guys.

Stangra

Established Member
If it's time to flush & refill anyway this is a simple and easy tool and process. complete fill, no burping needed:

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
Found another issue when I attempted a test run last night. I rebuilt my power steering pump and replaced my fill bottle so I needed to burp the system.
Here was the process I used to burp,
1.) Lifted the front end to remove weight on the suspension
2.) Popped the cap
3.) Turned the key to accessory
4.) Turned the wheel left to right then right to left in five intervals followed by three pumps of the brake pedal
5.) Did this sequence 90 total times
6.) Started the car to see if the fluid dropped and there appeared to be a small drop of about a millimeter.

Didn't think that was a huge concern so I took the car for a quick drive, boy was I wrong because I don't have power steering or decent braking power. I'm going to attempt the same process to get the rest of the air out of the system.

Are there any other techniques or procedures aside from what I mentioned to burp the hydroboost system?

03' White Snake

Established Member
Hopefully you didn't air lock the pump. If that's the case, might need to be replaced, which sucks. Just did it on my friends car that was having similar issues. Previous owner replaced the pump and didn't do it correctly so it needed to be replaced again. The job sucks. Need to rent a special puller/install tool.

You need to do the wheel turn sequence with the car off and tank open. Then repeat with it running. Holding it at lock for a few seconds to force the pump to work. I did it again with the car on the ground before driving it. I did about 10 cycles, not 90.

Users who are viewing this thread