need stereo help.

Neko

THE ANTI-RICE
Established Member
ok, i have one 12, that im wanting to hook up to a rockford fosgate power 650 and turn the amp way down. it is a 4 channel, or 2 channel amp, with built in x-over. now the low side, which is the side i will be using, has 2 channels, and the 12 is a DVC speaker. so how would u hook it up. the power, ground, remote, and line in( RCAs) are already taken care of, i just need a run down on how someone else would hook up the four amp wires from the amp, lets call them Lr+, Lr-, Ll+, and Ll-, how would u hook them to the dual voice coil 12?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
There are 3 ways to hook up a DVC. + to + and - to - is in parallel. Whatever each coil is the total load is 1/2 of that. For example (2) 4 ohm coils in parallel = a 2 ohm load. If you Hook The amp + to a coil 1 + and connect the coil 1 - to coil 2 + and connect coil 2 - to the amp - that is in series. In series the total load is equal to 2x a single coil load, so if you had a dvc sub with 4ohm coils in series you would get a 8ohm total load. Option 3 is to bridge the amp into 2 channels and run a channel to each coil. I wouldn't do it that way, but it's doable with some fancy wiring.

The trick is to get your amp to put out as much clean power as it can. You have to find out how much impedance (load) you amp can take before it starts to distort or shut down due to thermal or other type or protection.

In a nutshell I think you bought the wrong amp. You should of gotten a 2 channel amp thats bridgable to 1 channel or just a mono 1 channel amp. You can bridge you 4 channel amp into 2 channels and use one of the 2 channels to run your sub.

What sub are you using? Coils? 2,3,4 ohm coils?
Can you get another sub?
What type of box?
How much air space does your sub have?
How load do you want it?

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Dual voice coil subs should be connected to the amp like this:

1_2ohmDVC_4ohm.gif

Use the left channel only. If you can run the amp in mono mode, that's the best way to go. You may want to add another 12 later. Do not connect both channels of the sub to the DVC speaker unless you run the ampt with the same signal on both RCA inputs.

Even then it can pose a floating ground problem.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I don't know if I would bridge that amp and run a 2 ohm load on a channel. We need more info on the amp.

Neko

THE ANTI-RICE
Established Member

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Run each coil separately on the subwoofer. Check the amplifier temperature and any distortion. The amp should be stable to 2 ohms. MOSFET amplifiers can run way down there. Just make sure you don't get any humming or distortion. Otherwise you are getting a floating ground issue.

If you want to feel more secure, you can also wire the 2 coils in series. Wire together 1+ to 2- on the DVC.Then connect the 1- on the DVC to the - of the left channel of the amp. Connect the 2+ on the DVC to the + of the left channel of the amp. This will guarantee 4 ohms.

The other channel can be left alone in an infinite resistance state. It is perfectly healthy for the amplifier to do so.

I'd try the first one. The amp can take a beating and will protect itself quite well, especially if you're running it at a lower gain level than needed.

Neko

THE ANTI-RICE
Established Member
speaker info
Patented Thermo-Cooling Motor Structure
2” Hi-Temp Kapton Voice Coil Structure
New Patented Black Die-Cast Basket
Platinum Plated Block Terminals
Compound Polypropylene Cone
High Profile Rubber Surround
Copper Wound Voice Coils
400W Rms
800W Max
Dual 6-Ohm Voice Coils
180oz. Double Stacked Strontium Magnets
Mounting Depth: 6.1”
Mounting Diameter: 11.2”
Optimum Vented Box: 2 Cu/Ft
Round Port Diameter: (3) 3”
Square Port Area: 21 Sq/In
Port Length: 14”
Optimum Sealed Box: 0.75 – 1 Cu/Ft

Amp
Power 650 MOSFET, fan cooled 650 watt RMS 4 channel amplifier
325 watts continuous power per channel into 4 ohms with less than .05% total harmonic distortion from 20-2000 HZ.

And yeah. everything here i already had, or was given to me so i cant really grip, its not as much as i have had in everything else, but i dont wanna rattle the top loose, and this is to nice a car to have all my 15s in there.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Bridge the amp and wire the sub just like Platinum said in post 5. The only difference is the total load will be 3 ohms and not two. If your amp puts out 325x2 at 4 ohms it will try and put out 487.5wrms at 3 ohms on a single channel.

Honestly, I would sell that thing on ebay and get 200-250 bucks for it and use that money to by a JL 500.0 at a RD BD500 for 300-400 bucks. That is really the wrong amp for your application.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5751246659&rd=1

The 500/1 is a really nice amp. It puts out the same power from 4-1.5ohms so it is very flexible for multiple speaker configuration.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
bassin247 said:
Bridge the amp and wire the sub just like Platinum said in post 5. The only difference is the total load will be 3 ohms and not two. If your amp puts out 325x2 at 4 ohms it will try and put out 487.5wrms at 3 ohms on a single channel.

Honestly, I would sell that thing on ebay and get 200-250 bucks for it and use that money to by a JL 500.0 at a RD BD500 for 300-400 bucks. That is really the wrong amp for your application.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18797&item=5751246659&rd=1

The 500/1 is a really nice amp. It puts out the same power from 4-1.5ohms so it is very flexible for multiple speaker configuration.

Thats a nice amp for sure. :beer:

The amp should work OK. It's just going to be sheer overkill for 1 speaker.

Users who are viewing this thread