Need suggestions for a new computer...

SVT8U

Established Member
criteria.....

No more than $1200 .... going to use it for pics, games, copying dvd's, internet, and music.

Desktop only

dell preferred

any/all suggestions opinions appreciated. Im computer retarded BTW.....

Coiled03

Established Member
If you want to play games, the hardware you need to play today's games will probably put you over $1200. Go to Dell's website, and price it out yourself. It's not that hard to do.

Last edited:

MuscleHead

Banned
Coiled03 said:
If you want to play games, the hardware you need to play today's games will probably put you over $1200. Go to Dell's website, and price it out yourself. It's not that hard to do.

are you kidding me? don't go to dell. they're garbage. you can get a very good computer for gaming for under $1200, i got mine for 800 and i play every game that is out now on max settings with no lag. and i got the computer a year ago.

www.newegg.com is a very good site for your computer part needs. there is also another site that's cheaper but idk the name of it. good luck!

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I have a Dell Inspiron 1505 (think that's the number) with 256 meg seperate video card, Intel Core 2 Duo at 2 ghz and 1 gig of ram.. it does everything I want it too (game wise) and beats the pants off the old Pentium 4 2.8 ghz Sony Vaio I bought a couple years ago..

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
don't buy a dell. its a mistake, they make a lot of parts proprietary (sp?), their tech support is SHIT, you can never actually go into a store to get something taken care of. Dell is good for big business but they really arent great for personal use. Computer models change very very frequently because of the rapid change in technology. Only ask for help if you are looking to purchase NOW. I sold comps for over a year. When you are sure youre ready to buy, pm me and I will help you find something.

Coiled03

Established Member
Cobrasvt43 said:
don't buy a dell. its a mistake, they make a lot of parts proprietary (sp?), their tech support is SHIT, you can never actually go into a store to get something taken care of. Dell is good for big business but they really arent great for personal use. Computer models change very very frequently because of the rapid change in technology. Only ask for help if you are looking to purchase NOW. I sold comps for over a year. When you are sure youre ready to buy, pm me and I will help you find something.

I've had probably 5 Dells in the last 10 years, not a one of them gave me any trouble at all. Because of that, I don't give two shits about their tech support, and neither do most other people because they don't need it! Who the hell buys a computer for the tech support?

Dell is GREAT for personal use. All you have to do is spec it out with the correct components for what you're doing, order it, and it's at your door within two weeks. Plug it in, and go.

Orrrrr......you can sit in your workshop and try to put it together yourself for the next 3 months. Considering you said you're a computer retard, I think a pre-fab unit would be best for you.

SVT8U

Established Member
Coiled03 said:
I've had probably 5 Dells in the last 10 years, not a one of them gave me any trouble at all. Because of that, I don't give two shits about their tech support, and neither do most other people because they don't need it! Who the hell buys a computer for the tech support?

Dell is GREAT for personal use. All you have to do is spec it out with the correct components for what you're doing, order it, and it's at your door within two weeks. Plug it in, and go.

Orrrrr......you can sit in your workshop and try to put it together yourself for the next 3 months. Considering you said you're a computer retard, I think a pre-fab unit would be best for you.

Exactly..... Ive been using dell the last 5-6 years and have had VERY limited probs with them. And the probs were mostly my fault anyway. Youll be talking to someone in pakastan anyway with any major tech support nowdays

Its not going to be just a gaming PC.... it might just get a need for speed or some Quake or somethin thrown in once in a while. The only thing its really going to be used for is the internet, pic and home movie storage and editing. I want it to be as fast as possible, and have enough memory that I wont be looking for upgrades next year. $1200 is the budget and I dont have any desire to build it myself. Just looking for some suggestions from yall on what is the best deal I can get on a computer for about $1200.

Any all LINKS and suggestions appreciated. Thanks for the help guys

Last edited:

SVT8U

Established Member
G2Mach1 said:
Buy a MAC! it is the best for what you are talking about.

Ok just go buy ANY MAC?

Im hardware illeterate and have no idea what im looking at when I browse dell or mac websites....

Could you please post a link or specs or something ?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Macs are overpriced and have limited available software.

Also, if you really want to play games, you'll be sorry with a Mac.

If you want a computer that will do what you described AND also be able to do REAL work, get a good PC.

I've known people that had good luck with Systemax desktop computers. They're built in the USA and have excellent tech support if you need it. I have a bunch of their servers and laptops at work and have been happy with them.

Systemax Computers

Also, you might want to consider getting a PC with Vista on it instead of XP.

Allanon

SVT Druid
Established Member
Macs are very expensive, he would not be able to get one for his $1200. Browse this forum for help www.hardforum.com Build your own through www.newegg.com you will be glad you did. As far as the guy that plays every game available today at max settings with butter smooth framerates on an $800 PC, your full of it.:nonono:

JasonSnake

Established Member
you can go to tigerdirect.com and look for the "barebone" systems. Some good deals with Athlon FX cpu's and motherboards. You just have to buy the memory, hard drive, video card, cdrom, etc

ParamedicMXr

Established Member
over 10 years and several Dell's. never had a problem. Had an inspiron 9300 for about a year and havent had a single problem yet. Still as fast as the day i bought it and i have so much crap on here it would take me a week to delete a portion of it.

Users who are viewing this thread