Need suspension help. Wheels started rubbing

Justin81

Established Member
Ok guys. I'm looking for some suggestions. Car is a '13.

It has Relocations brackets, adjustable panhard bad, upper adjustable Control arm and Steeda billet lowers. It also has sway bar relocation bracksts and possibly more. My bill from the shop says Remove bumpstops and bumpstop relocation kit. Not sure if that's front or rear though.

I had Weld 15x10 on the back with 275-60's and I believe there were no problems. I never heard them rub or anything. I took them off and put the stock 19's on with 245's and no rubbing at all.

Today I bolted on a set of 20x11 Forgestar F14's with 305-35-20 rear M/T radials. When I drive slow and cut the wheel to the left the passenger side rear makes a loud rubbing sound. I looked around and don't see any rubbing marks on the tire anywhere. I don't see where anything was hitting but I do see where the bump stops on both sides are very close and show signs of hitting. Thing is, I don't know if those happened today or if they have been like that for a while?

I also have Ford K-springs (1.5 inches) and Koni Yellows which I feel like gave it another 1/2 inch. The car sits pretty low from stock. I had the rears on full loose and than switched them over to full tight but no changes. Something is still rubbing.

28F35DF8-C1E7-4816-B474-7A1FA5EDB241.gif

The wheels fit great and sit nice in the fenders.

Justin81

Established Member
Below is a bunch of pictures to show how low the car is sitting. And also to show where the wheels are in relation to the fenders.

Is it possible to just unbolt the bumpstop and remove it just to verify if it's making the noise?

4863EC63-9F52-466D-8988-45EB2B4135CB.gif

7C47BD1A-16BB-40AD-B767-94055897654F.gif

0099C687-8197-42A1-9489-21FFD5E78EBE.gif

4B233B63-7935-410E-AC18-39CA33DF5A55.gif

2D25474B-F37E-4B04-9911-82A379F7036D.gif

Jabooh1

Established Member
If you can't see any rubbing might be difficult to find. What are your offsets? I have 19x11 with a 305/30 and no issues at all. The closest thing it would rub on is the dust shield of the rear shocks.

Last edited:

benzopyrene

Established Member
I believe I have heard of guys cutting the bump stops if there were rubbing issues.....but maybe someone who has actually done that can chime in. Maybe the panhard bar needs adjusting too....those are the things I can think of off the top of my head

BMR Tech

Well, first - I recommend going ahead and chopping 3/4" off the bumpstops.

Then, let's see what happens from there.

Justin81

Established Member
Thanks for the insight. I actually found what was rubbing and making the loud sound. It was a piece of the inner fender liner sticking out. I razored it right off and no more noise.

However, when I was doing that, I put some blue chaulk on the wear spot from the bump stop to see if it was a current condition and after driving around the block for an "easy" ride the chaulk was all worn off.

At the track, I have an issue with shifting into 2nd. No matter how good the car hooks from the line it does a burnout into 2nd. Almost like it's on ice. I had the rear Konis at far loose and thought that was the problem. Now i'm wondering if the car is hitting the bump stops and unloading the tires or something else?

Is there a way to replace the bump stop with a shorter one as opposed to cutting it down?

sloppymax

Established Member
Eibach offers a shorter universal version that can be purchased separately from any other of their products. You will just have to press it into the mount that you remove from the oem bumpstops. I do not have the part number handy but I have seen it referenced on Jegs before. Not sure if any vendors offer it.

The FRPP bumpstop is not shorter, just made of a slightly softer material.

Last edited:

INEEDA_TERMI

Established Member
Thanks for the insight. I actually found what was rubbing and making the loud sound. It was a piece of the inner fender liner sticking out. I razored it right off and no more noise.

However, when I was doing that, I put some blue chaulk on the wear spot from the bump stop to see if it was a current condition and after driving around the block for an "easy" ride the chaulk was all worn off.

At the track, I have an issue with shifting into 2nd. No matter how good the car hooks from the line it does a burnout into 2nd. Almost like it's on ice. I had the rear Konis at far loose and thought that was the problem. Now i'm wondering if the car is hitting the bump stops and unloading the tires or something else?

Is there a way to replace the bump stop with a shorter one as opposed to cutting it down?

You're hitting and unloading. Just cut them down and be done. Not worth the hassle of replacement. There's still some left even after you cut so I wouldn't worry about it.

Justin81

Established Member
Here's the thing. I've seen pictures of them hacked down. It's not pretty. It's looks like just that, a hacked in half part. With these wheels, you can see clearly into the center and see the bump stop.

So, no one makes a direct replacement BS that's shorter and bolts right on? Weird? BMR? I'll check into the Eibach one now.

BMR Tech

We drive our car. Like, everyday. Bumpstops are not sealed / protected, so they get somewhat "dirty"

I would find it hard to believe, that someone who does not know that people cut their bump stops....could know that we cut ours when looking into our wheel well:

IMAG1372.jpg

Last edited:

BMR Tech

And yes, unloading from bottoming out on the bump stops is VERY common.

I would say, I deal with that exact issue 5-10 times a month with customers.

sloppymax

Established Member
Is there an average distance between the frame and top of the bumpstop that is ideal? I realize it can differ due to weight of driver, passengers, gas level, cargo, etc.

BMR Tech

Is there an average distance between the frame and top of the bumpstop that is ideal? I realize it can differ due to weight of driver, passengers, gas level, cargo, etc.

I like to see "about" 1.25" to 1.50" of gap/clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread