Need SVTP help!

usmcrebel

Established Member
With My second child on it's way my wife is looking for a good camcorder. I have no idea what to look for what to even begin to research on them. I would like to have a used "prosumer" camera. We've had a handycam and i would love for it disappear as it is absolute garbage. I am trying not to do the guy thing, and walk into best best and use my all time strategy for things i don't understand...
"Iny meny miny mo that trash looks good lets go" I know she is wanting to do lots of video of our children and that kinda thing and it will also double as a "documentary" cameraWhat the difference is i have now idea.
Used is my friend, so help me get started and all that kinda stuff.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Last edited:

usmcrebel

Established Member
After some more reading, i think i am looking at the Canon XL1, XL1s, GL1, GL2...anyone have any personal use with these?

lokslikasolstic

Mrs. 203Cree
Established Member
We got one of The Flip last year and love it. It's small so it's easy to carry around and all you have to do is stick it into the computer to move your videos over. It's so easy. I can't remember how much we paid for it though.
Flip video cameras

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
OP translated = "We about to do some baby makin and wanna get it on camera, but I want HD."

We have a Sony HD HDD camcorder thats pretty badass. Love drag-drop connectability.

Jefe

Established Member
Holy crap youre looking at some nice cameras. Honestly, if its just for home movies get one of those small HD cameras. Less than $200 and shoots in 720P and some in 1080P. Great quality and it fits in your pocket.

usmcrebel

Established Member
We got one of The Flip last year and love it. It's small so it's easy to carry around and all you have to do is stick it into the computer to move your videos over. It's so easy. I can't remember how much we paid for it though.
Flip video cameras

Got one, works pretty well except battery life lasts about as long as a nat fart

OP translated = "We about to do some baby makin and wanna get it on camera, but I want HD."

We have a Sony HD HDD camcorder thats pretty badass. Love drag-drop connectability.

HAHA already did the making part, but my wife wants something "nice" and i want something that i can steal away for nights at the strip/ stuff for me too.

Holy crap youre looking at some nice cameras. Honestly, if its just for home movies get one of those small HD cameras. Less than $200 and shoots in 720P and some in 1080P. Great quality and it fits in your pocket.

Yeah they are AWESOME cameras, and ith my wife wanting to do "documentaries" and wedding videos i figure it can serve multiple purposes and will pay for itself...Not to mention used they arent to bad.

I thought about the small HD ones but i've never had a good experience with the after 2 sony handycams i just use them as paperweights now.

dpj99cobra

NC Mustanger
Established Member
I have the cool job of shooting and editing video every day. I also do live directing of multi camera shoots. I've got both a Sony DSRPD150 and a Canon GL1. Side by side the Sony is my first choice everytime. Primary camera is a Sony DSR500WS and for standard def it shoots some pretty video.

Look for as many manually controlled features as you can get. The "auto everything" cameras will work great if your subject is lit decently and doesn't move much otherwise the iris will start "hunting" and the auto focus may well sharpen up on something that you don't care to have in focus.

The HDD cameras are nice but I'd wanna make sure it could also record to a card or tape at the same time. Moving files to your computer will certainly be easier with a memory card/HDD recording rather than one that shoots on MiniDV or some other tape format.

Good luck. If you're interested in a quality SD camera there are many good entry level professional or high end prosumer cameras available used on ebay or craigslist and you'll get more usable features than on a bargain priced HD consumer model.

Enjoy the hunt!

Users who are viewing this thread