Need to replace rod end on BMR Lower control arm.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Anyone ever have to replace the rod end on their BMR LCA? If so, did you get it from BMR or source it elsewhere?

I've got one that has developed a little slop that I would like to replace.

On another note. I had this annoying squeak on the opposite rear side when going over a bump. Went crazy trying to find it. Sprayed a little penetrating oil on the LCA rod end, and squeak gone.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I believe they are Viking 1" rod ends. Give Viking a call, im sure they will get you set straight.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I have that annoying squeak on mine, too. It only happens when the weather is warm. BMR does not recommend putting any kind of lubricant on the spherical bearings.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
I have that annoying squeak on mine, too. It only happens when the weather is warm. BMR does not recommend putting any kind of lubricant on the spherical bearings.

After I squirted it with a little oil, I wiped it down. Makes sense on why BMR would say that.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
I believe they are Viking 1" rod ends. Give Viking a call, im sure they will get you set straight.
I'm pretty sure they're using QA1. Was hoping someone had a part number. Since it's a part that is subject to wear over time, you would think BMR would offer replacement parts. I'm gonna shoot them an e-mail, or perhaps one of their techs will chime in.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I wouldnt hold my breath about BMR chiming in regularly here anymore. We arent the hot platform on an upward growth pattern anymore :/

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I used some sort of rubber seal that goes over the rod end. I know I read about it here. It will help keep road grime out of the bearings that promote wear. If I can find the info I'll post it. Won't fix your rod end, but might help keep the new one from going bad sooner. Pretty sure BMR can hook you up with a replacement.

On edit: The Company is Seals-it and it's called a rod-end boot. Can't remember the size however. A search might turn up that info.

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
I used some sort of rubber seal that goes over the rod end. I know I read about it here. It will help keep road grime out of the bearings that promote wear. If I can find the info I'll post it. Won't fix your rod end, but might help keep the new one from going bad sooner. Pretty sure BMR can hook you up with a replacement.

On edit: The Company is Seals-it and it's called a rod-end boot. Can't remember the size however. A search might turn up that info.
Funny, I found the same thing. http://sealsit.com/?s=rod+end+boot

Dinosgt

Established Member

FWIW I had a similar issue. Over a washboard surface the ends sounded like bearings in a tin can.

I bought the covers, and then lightly coated the mating surfaces in the joint with silicon grease. It was a giant pain to get the boots over the joints, but once I did they are very quiet, and I doubt much junk can get in there.

Full disclosure - I never drive this thing in anything but nice weather. So my solution may not apply to a daily driver.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If they at all help stop them from rattling around ill order them tonight. Im dailying my car fir the next few weeks and.. well... its annoying. Lol

Dinosgt

Established Member
If they at all help stop them from rattling around ill order them tonight. Im dailying my car fir the next few weeks and.. well... its annoying. Lol

I was surprised how well they worked - I hear nothing now. And I hate rattles and noises in my rides...

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Did you double check your lock nuts? One of mine was rattling like crazy and driving me insane. I checked and found one of the lock nuts was barely loose. I tightened it and haven't heard a a single rattle since.

Sent from my STV100-1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
Did you double check your lock nuts? One of mine was rattling like crazy and driving me insane. I checked and found one of the lock nuts was barely loose. I tightened it and haven't heard a a single rattle since.

Sent from my STV100-1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Definitely not a loose lock nut. I only found it when installing their anti rollbar when it wasn't under load.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I know this is not a LCA rod end, but it is a rod end..............Does anyone make boots for these bump steer tie rod ends?

012_zps7pdzonet.jpg

009_zpsd35e8040.jpg

For those who are not familiar, these tie rod ends are recommended for any Mustang/GT500 that is lowered to get the steering and rack geometry back within spec's after the body has been lowered, and the spindles are still at the same height that they were before the body was lowered.

R

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The Seals-it boots should work. You'll just need to figure our which version fits. If those cups on the rod end don't come off, getting them on will be a challenge. Good thing they come in a six pack.

Users who are viewing this thread