Need track tires. Am Clueless

Jbstang87

Established Member
So I am looking for two rear wheels and tires strictly for track use. I DD my MPSS, but need something that will hook at 500 whp (100 shot planned) at the track. I am looking to keep costs down, but whats the best wheel if I just want to buy two rear wheels? Racestars? welds? No problems clearing brakes? What size?
Also, which tire do you recommend to go with? NT05r? MT ET Streets? or slicks?

Trying to keep the total cost of two wheels and tires under a grand.

Thalilbear02

Established Member
MT ET streets are something around $360 each which means you have to spend less than $280 for wheels if you wanted those tires. Tough choice, but under a grand you're going to have to skimp on quality if you want those tires. I'd probably say go for the NT05R's if you can find them in the proper size. Just depends on what size wheel we're working with.

Jbstang87

Established Member
don't racestars come in different sizes like 15s, 17s? or could I mount two SVE drag wheels and mount the ET streets on them. I have 19 inch AMRs on currently.

14GT916

Established Member
So, I am in the same boat as you. I have done tons of research and this is what I have come up with;
- The best wheels to get would be light weight wheels, I believe these would be forged such as weld, race stars, forgestars, etc. These wheels are expensive usually about 400 and up.
- Size: the smaller the wheel and the taller the sidewall, the better it will hook. This is why you see slicks with small wheels. Unfortunately, you will most likely have to install relocation brackets on to work.
- If you go 20" Drag radials, there is very little sidewall and most claim that it will not hook as well.
- Drag Radials are expensive. You also are usually limited to what they have to offer in size. I have found that NT05R's and Mickey Thompson ET streets are the better ones to go with
- Width: most will recommend to go as wide as possible. Make certain that your wheel can take on a wide tire such as _ _ x 10 and up.
Hope this helps. I have decided to go with a used set of wheels and the NT05R's. Good luck on your decision. And, others please chime in if I am incorrect on a lot of what I wrote. I am no expert by any means. I have just been doing a lot of research before I purchase my set.

Last edited:

stroked mach

Established Member
I would keep a eye on ebay and other sites and grab a set used and save some money if a 15 will fit then that's what I would run b/c the tires are going to be a little cheeper and hook a lot better as said as for wheels if their just going to be a track wheel I would grab a racestar a prostar or any of the top brands all are great wheels keep a eye open and save some money and buy used gl

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
I run 15 inch race stars with 275-60-15 mt et streets great tires hook hard. I bought my racestars with tires for 400. Once those tires were trashed I bought some new ones from american muscle for 220 a tire without the forum discount. Look in the market on here I see them sell all day for 500 with tires all the time. To me it was worth every penny.

scotmach

Established Member
So I am looking for two rear wheels and tires strictly for track use. I DD my MPSS, but need something that will hook at 500 whp (100 shot planned) at the track. I am looking to keep costs down, but whats the best wheel if I just want to buy two rear wheels? Racestars? welds? No problems clearing brakes? What size?
Also, which tire do you recommend to go with? NT05r? MT ET Streets? or slicks?

Trying to keep the total cost of two wheels and tires under a grand.

Auto? Manual?

Tx5.0

Established Member
I just bought AM 18x10 replicas of the 2010 gt wheels along with 305/45/18 MT et streets. The wheels look like stock and around 320 for both.

4VFTW

Established Member
what am I missing here....

(2)MT ET streets 275/60/15=$440
(2)SVE drag wheels 15x10=$400
(2)Steeda relo brackets=$42

$882<$1000

M6 car you might consider running Hoosier QTP's instead of the MT's

Last edited:

kbrolly

Established Member
It's important to know if your car is an auto or manual, and if you want to launch on the spray or not. Also what other mods have you done to the car, such as gears, converter, tune which you will need with nitrous, and any suspension mods. I run an auto car with a converter and all of the bolt on's, plus I have a 75 shot on it as well. I have run a set of M/T 275-60-15 drag radials and now a 28x12.50x15 M/T ET street. The drag radials do not hook as well for my application but it all depends on what your set up is. For maximum traction, the ole bias ply ET street is hard to beat

Users who are viewing this thread