Need TV selection advice: LCD or Plasma?

coreseller

Established Member
Here is the scenario: the new TV will be going into a windowless room in the basement, 13 ft. wide by 17 ft. deep. Lighting in the room is supplied by 2 ceiling can lights which are mounted in the opposite end of the room from where the TV will go. 60 to 70% of usage will likely be XBOX 360, other will be movie watching. I already have the home theater set-up picked out. I've decided on the size, in the 50" range due to furniture / door / wall space. I've also decided on 1080p regardless of LCD or Plasma. I've been to several Best Buys, Circuit Citys and surprisingly got several reasons for buying one or the other (glare, burn-in, refresh rates, price, longevity, etc.). Price difference isn't too big of a deal since I'll hopefully have the set-up for many years and would rather spend a little more for the right TV up front. Up to this point the supposed "expert" guidance has been near a 50 - 50 split on LCD vs. Plasma. Any home theater experts / installers out there?

Coiled03

Established Member
Based on the description of your room, my Sony 60" LCD Grand Wega is in an almost identical environment.

I went LCD primarily because of price differential. The picture difference between plasma, and LCD isn't anywhere near great (it's practically zero, IMHO) enough to justify the extra expense of a plasma. The other, secondary reason I went with LCD is becaue I have no need, or room to mount a TV on my wall. I vote LCD (might want to make this a poll, btw).

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
If you watch sports....plasma without a doubt. I've done a little bit of research here recently about the two. Since LCD doesn't refresh as fast as Plasma, sports and quick stuff doesn't look as good.

The anti burn-in technology out there has apparently came a long way. Doesn't happen as often, but you're more susceptible with channels with the "ticker" at the bottom, or the stationary logo in the corner.

I plan on the Panasonic 42" plasma w/o the anti-glare shield because the shield supposedly kills some of the "blackness" that plasma are known for. The price is relatively similar with bown having 60000-70000 hrs of watch time.

But, I'm by far not an expert!

BlueOvalAvenger

Beerknurd
Established Member
Plasma. The reason why is Plasma will look better in a naturally darker room. Plasma has a better picture quality regardless of what anyone says. LCD has made a big improvement over the years..but its still not plasma. Can lighting shouldn't produce much glare on the screen. If you are worried about it there are a few tvs out there that have an anti glare film on the screen.

DravenGSX

Established Member
If I were you, I'd look into front projectors. In a room with no natural lighting, that is, without a doubt, the best way to go.

LCD Vs. Plasma is basically in the eye of the viewer. Plasma will run hotter and requires more power. This means higher power bills. LCD has a "screen door effect" that some people can see, some can't. LCD has a 4-6 ms refresh rate now which is plenty fast for football or other fast motion. Both will last 10-15 years+. Pick whichever one you like best.

If you decide to go with LCD, get a good one. Otherwise the motion blur and screen door effect will be noticable.

But yeah, front projector in your room would kick butt.

mytjojo

Established Member
I just bought this one 4 days ago: The Panasonic TH-50PZ700U it is a 50" plasma that consumer reports has listed as the higest and best tv that has ever been reviewed
It scored an 83 out of 100 which is HUGE
This is a brief summary from consumer reports about the Plasma:

Highs
Excellent picture quality across the board. Makes the most of its 1080p resolution, reproducing very fine detail. Accurate, vibrant colors, above-average contrast, and very deep blacks give images an almost three-dimensional look. It did a good job smoothing out jagged edges in movies and other film-based content.

Lows
Depth of black level is slightly dependent on the overall brightness of program content. Slight greenish tint on the lowest black levels. Lacks separate RGB level adjustments.

Bottom Line

A first-class 1080p plasma TV (the only one in this Ratings) and the best flat-panel TV we've tested so far. Picture quality is outstanding, raising the bar for the whole category.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have a Sony Grand Wega 60" that I bought in 2003. Been to the stores several time since then and have yet to see anything that makes me regret my decision. Refresh rate is just fine, no issues with "screening" that I can see HDTV is awesome and I play World of Warcraft on it when I am home. I am going to get another TV for my masterbedroom when I am home this time but have not decided which one either but will most likely get another LCD since I just cant justify the difference in price.

coreseller

Established Member
mytjojo said:
I just bought this one 4 days ago: The Panasonic TH-50PZ700U it is a 50" plasma that consumer reports has listed as the higest and best tv that has ever been reviewed
It scored an 83 out of 100 which is HUGE
This is a brief summary from consumer reports about the Plasma:

Highs
Excellent picture quality across the board. Makes the most of its 1080p resolution, reproducing very fine detail. Accurate, vibrant colors, above-average contrast, and very deep blacks give images an almost three-dimensional look. It did a good job smoothing out jagged edges in movies and other film-based content.

Lows
Depth of black level is slightly dependent on the overall brightness of program content. Slight greenish tint on the lowest black levels. Lacks separate RGB level adjustments.

Bottom Line

A first-class 1080p plasma TV (the only one in this Ratings) and the best flat-panel TV we've tested so far. Picture quality is outstanding, raising the bar for the whole category.

What kind of prices are these sets out by you? Found one on Dealtime for $2210 delivered, not real keen on buying something like this over the net though.

Last edited:

exdeath

Established Member
I agree with DravenGSX, put $1500 or more into a HD projector and don't look back. Your light control in that environment is perfect for a projector, and once you see the image you can get out of a projector, you'll never want to look at plasma or LCD again.

Last edited:

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
exdeath said:
I agree with DravenGSX, put $1500 or more into a HD projector and don't look back. Your light control in that environment is perfect for a projector, and once you see the image you can get out of a projector, you'll never want to look at plasma or LCD again.

Only problem with this is that if you move and don't have a room set up like the original your projector tv could be worthless ..

coreseller

Established Member
exdeath said:

I looked into the projector and for my set-up it won't work out. It would have to mount where my I-Beams are boxed / drywalled in leaving it dangerously low (have you ever seen a group of boys playing Xbox? My boys go freakin nuts lol). My set will have to wall mount.

blk96SVT

Established Member
I just bought a 42 inch Samsung plasma two weeks ago and I absolutely freaking love it. Dish HD channels are amazing (I can't wait till all the channels are in HD). I had some burn-in from watching football on ESPN the ESPN 2HD logo was burnt in. The Samsung has a image burn in feature and now its gone. The only complaint I have with it is it does put out some heat when it is on for a few hours straight, but other than night I would recommend plasma.

Users who are viewing this thread