Need workout plan for next 3 weeks

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'm leaving for basic in 3 weeks and my workout has been slacking slightly for the past few weeks cause we've been trying to move out of our house. The biggest thing I need to improve on is my running. I've been gradually improving but it's my weakest point that needs to be improved.

Here's where I'm at:

Dead hang pull ups - Did 23 last week.

Sit ups for 2min - Did 103 about a month ago. My best is 120 so I'm up and down a little and might be under 100 now, but not worried about getting back over that.

2 mile run time - 15:30. My first mile is decent (under 7min) but after that I hit a brick wall and can pretty much only jog for most the rest. So my endurance is really lacking.

I'm just looking for some tips that will speed that up and prepare me for anything else I'm gonna come up against that I might not be prepared for. My friend that just got out of the Marines told me since I don't have a lot of time to run probably twice a day and to just go in and bust out two miles on a treadmill at 8mph every day.

Appreciate any help.:beer:

Slow04Cobra

ROLL TIDE
Established Member
I'm leaving for basic in 3 weeks and my workout has been slacking slightly for the past few weeks cause we've been trying to move out of our house. The biggest thing I need to improve on is my running. I've been gradually improving but it's my weakest point that needs to be improved.

Here's where I'm at:

Dead hang pull ups - Did 23 last week.

Sit ups for 2min - Did 103 about a month ago. My best is 120 so I'm up and down a little and might be under 100 now, but not worried about getting back over that.

2 mile run time - 15:30. My first mile is decent (under 7min) but after that I hit a brick wall and can pretty much only jog for most the rest. So my endurance is really lacking.

I'm just looking for some tips that will speed that up and prepare me for anything else I'm gonna come up against that I might not be prepared for. My friend that just got out of the Marines told me since I don't have a lot of time to run probably twice a day and to just go in and bust out two miles on a treadmill at 8mph every day.

Appreciate any help.:beer:

I didn't even know this section existed, but alas I stumbled upon this thread. I'm not nor have I been military, but I can offer my insight being a runner and triathlete.

There is little hope for you to improve on your time in three weeks; sorry. I'm not sure of the requirements for time or distance, but I would advise some mixture of farltek and interval training leading up to your basic stage. The only way to get better at running is by running. You don't have much time, so I would just do a mixture of the two and hope for the best.

Example for a M,T,Th,F,Sat split:

Day 1: Interval 8x400 speed, 4x100 sprint

Day 2: Fartlek 1 mile at a steady pace, 2 miles speed pace, 1 mile steady pace, 800 meters at a sprint, 800 meters at a walk, 1 mile steady pace, 1 mile cool down(walk/jog.)
Repeat!

Don't forget the benefits of cross-training either. This would be far more beneficial if you were a few months out, but it can still help you at 3 weeks out. Once a week for the next three weeks try swimming, a spin class, or some kind of a body pump class. It is close, but anything to tax your muscles and lungs in a new way will help.

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
I didn't even know this section existed, but alas I stumbled upon this thread. I'm not nor have I been military, but I can offer my insight being a runner and triathlete.

There is little hope for you to improve on your time in three weeks; sorry. I'm not sure of the requirements for time or distance, but I would advise some mixture of farltek and interval training leading up to your basic stage. The only way to get better at running is by running. You don't have much time, so I would just do a mixture of the two and hope for the best.

Example for a M,T,Th,F,Sat split:

Day 1: Interval 8x400 speed, 4x100 sprint

Day 2: Fartlek 1 mile at a steady pace, 2 miles speed pace, 1 mile steady pace, 800 meters at a sprint, 800 meters at a walk, 1 mile steady pace, 1 mile cool down(walk/jog.)
Repeat!

Don't forget the benefits of cross-training either. This would be far more beneficial if you were a few months out, but it can still help you at 3 weeks out. Once a week for the next three weeks try swimming, a spin class, or some kind of a body pump class. It is close, but anything to tax your muscles and lungs in a new way will help.

This will work great.:beer:

03DOHC

Established Member
If you're going into the USMC you have to be able to do 3 miles in 27 minutes. If you can't do it now you will be able to do it when you get out of boot camp, LOL. You're better off being able to do it going in though. So do what you can now.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
If you can do 2 miles in under 16, you are probably 75% more ready than most who enlist. Id do what the other suggested, but dont hurt yourself before you get there. zGood luck

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
The interval training Slow04Cobra posted is good. Interval training will help speed up your 2 mile run but overall endurance is going to be important. Try to run 3 miles in under 24 min consistently. Then gradually speed your 3 mile by aiming for 21 min and then for 18 min. Also getting in a few long runs about 5 miles long will help. Idealy you want your body to feel as though 2 miles is a short and easy run(it is compared to the many other running tests you may go through durring your career). So by improving your 1.5, 3, 4, 5 and 8 mile tiimes your 2 mile will improve drastically.

Thats more of a plan for the long run but because you are 3 weeks away really focus on the interval training already posted. Good luck.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Cool, thanks guys! I figured it probably wasn't enough time to drastically improve on that time, but anything helps so I will try out that plan. I already meet the minimum requirements so Im not worried about failing, I just don't want to be struggling at the back of the pack.

Anything else outside of running I should be preparing for or that I can prepare for?

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Cool, thanks guys! I figured it probably wasn't enough time to drastically improve on that time, but anything helps so I will try out that plan. I already meet the minimum requirements so Im not worried about failing, I just don't want to be struggling at the back of the pack.

Anything else outside of running I should be preparing for or that I can prepare for?

Get in the mental mindset that you will be living in the suck for 9 weeks. Other than that just good old muscular and cardio vascular endurance will be the biggest thing. Be ready to do push ups, to flutter kicks, back to push ups, to squat jumpers, to flutter kicks, to mountain climbers, back to push ups, to side strattle hop, back to mountain climbers, etc. It can go on for hours. But its nothing you cant handle. There is an end to the day, there is an end to the week, there is an end to the month, and there is an end to basic training. Just take it one day at a time and you will be fine.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
youll be fine trust me. theyll whip you into shape. 15 min 2 mile isnt bad at all going into it

AlanSVT

Established Member
15 min 2 mile is pretty good. I was about there when I was in basic, after basic and AIT. I came to my unit and my first PT test 2 mile run was a 12min 15 sec. So they will whip you in shape no problem. So dont worry about it.

Alan

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
15 min 2 mile is pretty good. I was about there when I was in basic, after basic and AIT. I came to my unit and my first PT test 2 mile run was a 12min 15 sec. So they will whip you in shape no problem. So dont worry about it.

Alan

lol, man,you will get in shape or you wont make it. Trust me. Since you are running that pace now you will be ok. I was on the thin line initially as far as PT tests and shit went, since i didnt do crap before i went in. When i went to basic i was very out of shape. I made BF % but not weight, i was probably 15 pounds over weight. My first APFT 2 mile run was 17:45, i did 42 pushups (min) and 54 sit ups (1 over the min) and i was 18 years old. PATHETIC. by the end i was running a consistent 12-13 minute 2 mile and scoring 300 on the APFT. For our posts Fit to fight run we did a 4 mile run and it had to be in under 32 minutes which i think my best time in that was 26:39. Fastest ive ever ran in my life.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member

Alan

lol, man,you will get in shape or you wont make it. Trust me. Since you are running that pace now you will be ok. I was on the thin line initially as far as PT tests and shit went, since i didnt do crap before i went in. When i went to basic i was very out of shape. I made BF % but not weight, i was probably 15 pounds over weight. My first APFT 2 mile run was 17:45, i did 42 pushups (min) and 54 sit ups (1 over the min) and i was 18 years old. PATHETIC. by the end i was running a consistent 12-13 minute 2 mile and scoring 300 on the APFT. For our posts Fit to fight run we did a 4 mile run and it had to be in under 32 minutes which i think my best time in that was 26:39. Fastest ive ever ran in my life.

Ok, that makes me feel better and a little more prepared than I thought I was. I run with a lot of other recruits and Im usually towards the back so I didn't see that as a good thing. But if Im right in there with a good pace going in I won't stress about it as much.

Thanks!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Ok, that makes me feel better and a little more prepared than I thought I was. I run with a lot of other recruits and Im usually towards the back so I didn't see that as a good thing. But if Im right in there with a good pace going in I won't stress about it as much.

Thanks!

You will get into decent running shape in basic. If you can pass the 2 mile APFT now you wont have any issues in basic. Consider you will probably lose some weight which will reduce your run time and you will be running every day. I only ran a bottom 14 going in then at the end of basic ran a 13 flat. Now I run a 12 flat 6 years later LOL!

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
+1 on doing fine. Hell, i can barely do 3 pull ups so you are way better than i am.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Do what Slow04Cobra said about the interval training. And swim. A lot. Swim as far as you can underwater too. That will help your running immensely. Good luck man, Boot isn't THAT bad, just remember "water off a ducks back", because if they don't have a reason to yell, they'll find one. Here's a little motivation for you :D =

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJpwlvIIDcY"]YouTube - MARINE Boot Camp[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread