Need your feedback - 1991 Mercedes 500SL

BULLITT - 566

Established Member
I'm interested in knowing feedback on a 1991 Mercedes 500SL. A family member is looking at one at the moment to use as a 2nd car or weekend car. It's a higher mileage , 1 owner car with an automatic transmission, 5 litre engine.

Mechanically, I know very little about the Mercedes products and I'm asking the people on this forum for advice on what to look out for mechanically on an older Mercedes. How are the engines, transmisisons, etc. Are there reliability issues? Are there certain "bugs" and glitches worth knowing about? Do these older 500 SL's have any problems worth noting?

Cosmetically it's extremely clean and all body panels line up perfectly. The black paint is in excellent condition, the car does not have any major dings, only a few minor "rock chips" on the edge of the hood, nothing that detracts from the beauty of this car. The gaps are even where the hood, doors, and fenders meet. All trim is in excellent shape.

What are some things too look out for when purchasing a preowned Mercedes? Obviously, the timing belt and the usual mechanical items are to be looked at,

The alternator was replaced as it was apparently overcharging, I do not know if the timing belt has been changed, the brakes are new on all 4 wheels, I noted it has 4 Michelin Pilot 's installed with very even wear, the leather seats are in great condition (not cracked or worn). This car has defintiely been pampered.
I'm interested in hearing from the Mercedes owners on this forum. Need your help/feedback. Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread