Need your guys help on 97 Cobra

Chuckieduck

Established Member
I am looking at a 97 Cobra. It's black on black with 77,000 miles. The body looks great except for the back bumper fading out a little. Just like my 94. The interior is in great shape also. The only two things wrong with the car is the exhaust and the transmission and steering.

The exhaust is long tube headers with no cats, no h or x-pipe. Then it's straight pipes into two mufflers running out back with these huge polished tips. Sounds like s**t. Easy problem to fix.

The steering is a little loose. When you hit two sections of pavement the car slightly pulls. I can replace all that stuff up front too.

What I need help with is the trans. I know the clutch has been replaced. When you push the clutch in it's crazy stiff. I'm not use to a clutch so stiff. The problem with it is that you have to let the clutch out so much before it engages and the pedal is pretty far away from the brake pedal. Closer to the seat I mean. The is no aftermarket clutch quadrant. The clutch engages fully. I gave it a few hard launches and everthing engages fine, just it's awkward. Do you guys think it's an easy fix? Is there somewhere else to adjust the pedal? Couldn't hear anything odd coming from under the car, but how could I with that exhaust?

Also the check engine light is on. There are no 02 sensors which is why I guess the light is on.

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
You may be able to adjust from below where the cable goes to the shift fork but a after market quadrant would be a good investment. Sounds like the ball joints and tie rod ends need replacing to fix the steering.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
so the exhaust goes from the headers into straight pipes back to the mufflers, no x, or h? What kind of redneck stuff is that? When I bought my Cobra, the clutch felt that same way. In about two months it was toast.

Users who are viewing this thread