Need your help: intercooler or aftercooler

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Right now I am stuck on which direction I want to go. I have looked at the Vortech aftercooler system as well as the air to air front mount system from paxton. I have been running my car for over 2 years with no problems without a cooling system running 8lbs. When it gets hot outside I do not beat on it at all by I was thinking of making an upgrade to be a little safer. What do you guys recommend?

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
I like a/a, it's really just personal preference though. If you take it to the track a lot I would say aftercooler because you can put ice in it which would help you a little. Otherwise i would say a/a. With an a/w setup on the street, the water will never be colder than ambient and will eventually heat up like and be less efficient. I think it may weigh a tad more too. With an a/a setup the air will stay the same temp so you avoid heatsoak, and you can run an open bypass if you do a blow through maf. It would sound like a BOV. I think it sounds kinda cool. With an a/a though you lose 1-3 psi probably and will have to spin the blower slightly harder to make the same psi as and aftercooler which may lose 1psi or so.

I'm no expert by any means, but there's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

WDW MKR

Established Member
Actually, the vortech aftercooler setup can be quite restrictive at higher boost levels. A properly sized air to air will be less restrictive. I don't think it will matter at 8 psig. I prefer air to air for a street car.

scotts99snake

Established Member
I think it depends on how you drive. If you go to the track quite a bit get the a/w. If you only go on occasion, I would stick to the a/a.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I like my Procharger set up. I just had to cut a hole in the fenderwell for the pipe leading to the TB.

blownfox

Established Member
I know this was not one of your options but what about a snow kit. They are a lot cheaper and from what I'm being told they drop the inlet temp more than the aftercooler.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
I like a/a.

I don't want to add another system with several failure points. Think about it.

You have A) Electrical wiring, b) an electric water pump, c) many kinkable water lines, d) many water connections that can leak.

The A/A is so simple and easy, I never think about it. I don't have to wonder if my pump is working, or if the water is leaking, etc. Get in and go.

I have the paxton setup. The core is huge, and probably not the best flowing, but it works like a champ. Top of a 20psi pull in 90 degree ambient, I see maybe 110 IAT

01Cobra896

Established Member
So let me get this straight. I know BTI used to sell intercooler kits for the Vortech. Does anyone know of a source for info on the Paxton kit as to where I could purchase one? Are there other kits like BTI? Just curious what is out there.

Tunnelvision

Established Member
I had the Vortech aftercooler and its core was just way too small for anything over 550 rwhp. Spearco and Bell intercoolers offer comparable size A/W cores to the one used by Vortech (4" x 4.2" x 8.6")and rate these cores for up to 500bhp / 700cfm. Also, the ~6 gpm pump in the Vortech kit and the heat exchanger are weak nuts.

If you should decide to go A/W, I would recommend building your own! Bell intercoolers e.g. has a wide selection of cores and can build a custom one for you.

Probably easier and cheaper to go A/A.

Last edited:

Bluebullit

Established Member
I like a/a, it's really just personal preference though. If you take it to the track a lot I would say aftercooler because you can put ice in it which would help you a little. Otherwise i would say a/a. With an a/w setup on the street, the water will never be colder than ambient and will eventually heat up like and be less efficient. I think it may weigh a tad more too. With an a/a setup the air will stay the same temp so you avoid heatsoak, and you can run an open bypass if you do a blow through maf. It would sound like a BOV. I think it sounds kinda cool. With an a/a though you lose 1-3 psi probably and will have to spin the blower slightly harder to make the same psi as and aftercooler which may lose 1psi or so.

I'm no expert by any means, but there's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!

:beer:

A/A is the way to go man. i did it and i love the bov when i shift cause people look and think thats not supposed to come from that kinda car and the paxton is good man but i bought the procharger piping and an intercooler from Treadstone intercoolers and i lost about 2 psi at the most but not changing the pulley i went up 10 hp and then i added 2 psi and i gaind 27 hp so man do what you want on what kit you buy but dont waste your money on the aftercooler. thats almost 2k anyways :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread