+need Your Opinions On My Setup+

contourSVT93

SVTtour98
Established Member
i was wondering which option would be better??

OPTION ONE
Get a full new Magnaflow Resonated Trubendz catback exhaust and get rid of my stock resonator and switch it with the Magnaflow replacement. I wouldn't change the y-pipe though.

OPTION 2
Get a full new y pipe with the interchangeable cat and get rid of my stock resonator (replace with the magnaflow replacement) but KEEP the stock catback (mufflers and tips)

Which would sound the best??
Which would perform the best??

OR YOU CAN TELL ME IM A COMPLETE IDIOT AND NOT TO SPEND THE MONEY ON SHIT... haha im new at this... just help me outthanks so much, im new to this and want to spend little money with the best performance and sound

I jsut really need to talk to someone who cna tell me the best mods from personal use. I want to spend just about 1000 dollars. I think i should get intake, duh, catback y pipe and then a custom tuned chip... woudl that be the best?

PS IM NOT MEXICAN .... I JUST LIKE THESE COLORS...

Last edited:

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
The only thing you are going to get messing with any catback is sound a few miniscule HP, if any. If you want actually decent HP gains gut the pre-cats or get headers. If you want a decent 'growl' I recommend the Bassani, but its pricey.

contourSVT93

SVTtour98
Established Member
difficulty

how hard would it to swap in and out the catylitic converter when emissions time is needed with the interchangeable cat on trubendz.com??

PickPerf

Go Away!!!!
Established Member
I'd go MSDS header optimized y, then a catback of your choice.
THis would be the most cost effective power maker.
As long as your o.k with uncoated headers otherwise it can get expensive.

Y2KSVT

Established Member
www.msdsinc.com - buy a set of coated headers for under ~$400 shipped. (You'll have to call for exact pricing, as Marty only lists the full racer package on his site.)
Have your stock SVT y-pipe optimized for better flow ~$80
Magnaflow resonated catback ~$400
K&N filter & MAF adapter ~$80

Come up with another couple hundred, and get an Xcal2 to tune everything, and you'll have a really nice setup.

Mark

Last edited:

Pudmunkies

Established Member
What mark listed is what ill be running very shortly.

Only downfall in my system is the 2.25 inch borla catback ive got

DemonSVT

The Mad Modder!
Established Member
Modifying the stock Y-pipe can give 2-10 HP/TQ. Typical is 4/8.
Having a chip elevates the torque gain to double digits. (I've seen 7/13 on a "properly" chipped car and not including the chip gains)

A quality catback will gain about 4-8HP & 4-6TQ. Typical is 7/5.

For ref - The Borla and Bassani (with tip resonators) give very little gains. Borla chose very poor mufflers and Bassani's tip resonators are the proverbial potato in the exhaust pipe.

So using that and with an open air conical filter you are looking at 175-180/155 at the wheels. That is the typical range for these bolt ons. If you throw in a good tune 185/160-165 at best.

Y2KSVT

Established Member
DemonSVT said:
Bassani's tip resonators are the proverbial potato in the exhaust pipe.

And not to mention, doesn't sound much different than stock. They are a b!tch to remove from the tips, but very worth it. Definitely opens it up, and sounds 10x better. I actually noticed a slight boost in performance from the catback, which was the first mod I did.

Mark

dpa43

Established Member
Y2KSVT said:
www.msdsinc.com - buy a set of coated headers for under ~$400 shipped. (You'll have to call for exact pricing, as Marty only lists the full racer package on his site.)
Mark

So the $660.00 he has listed is not correct? If thats the case then I will need to pick up a set.

contourSVT93

SVTtour98
Established Member
ok so now the headers i know are a must... how do i go about MODIFYING the stock y pipe..... ive decided to get headers and modify the stock y pipe and replace the stock resonator..... how do i mod the stock y pipe????

Users who are viewing this thread