Needing some information on clutches/flywheels

vita

Established Member
Im needing to replace my TOB in my 99 Cobra and have a few questions. I'll be having a shop do the work, but I can bring the parts in for them and not pay their markup. Plus, I can pick what I want a little easier.

Im looking at a stage 1 or stage 2 clutch (Cobra is going to stay near factory for HP). Only bolt ons.

Which would you recommend? Plus, Im trying to figure out which one I'll need for size to match my flywheel (10.5" or 11"?)

Also, where is the cheapest place you can find a FRPP TOB? Anything else that should be replaced at the same time?

Sorry for the generic questions. :shrug:

marcoc

Established Member
I am kinda wondering the same thing, my TOB is getting noisey and I plan on replacing it as well as the clutch and flywheel next spring/summer. any recommended brands? also fairly stock with bolt-ons, maybe a clutch capable of handling up to 400-450hp even though I am far from that:shrug:.
I was thinking Ford Racing.

marcoc

Established Member
Im needing to replace my TOB in my 99 Cobra and have a few questions. I'll be having a shop do the work, but I can bring the parts in for them and not pay their markup. Plus, I can pick what I want a little easier.

Im looking at a stage 1 or stage 2 clutch (Cobra is going to stay near factory for HP). Only bolt ons.

Which would you recommend? Plus, Im trying to figure out which one I'll need for size to match my flywheel (10.5" or 11"?)

Also, where is the cheapest place you can find a FRPP TOB? Anything else that should be replaced at the same time?

Sorry for the generic questions. :shrug:

How many miles on your Cobra? I have 76k miles

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Throw a new pilot bearing in too, you need the 10 spline 11" clutch kit, the oem 03/04 Cobra is good, Fidanza 2.1...

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
I have a Ford Racing kit in mine and love it. The clutch pedal feel is firm, but not as heavy as I hear the aftermarket clutches to be. Since you're not going to harness a lot more power than stock, I'm sure it'd do well for you.

MT0911

Established Member
03/04 Cobra clutch is great. Valeo makes OEM replacements that are nice quality. They are inexpensive, can handle up 500ish whp and they have really nice pedal effort. Definitely make sure you use a Ford TOB & Pilot Bearing. All T-45 Mustangs came with a 10.5" clutch EXCEPT the 1999-2001 Cobra's so you have a T45 with an 11" clutch/flywheel. Also keep in mind that you'll need to get your flywheel resurfaced if you plan on re-using it.

Top Fuel Friday

Dang!
Established Member
I like the spec clutches. I had a spec 2 in my 00 GT and it was great. When I do a new clutch in the 01 cobra I'll try to pickup a 03 cobra flywheel and a spec clutch for it.

Always use a Ford OEM TOB, I get all my OEM parts from Steve at tasca.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i would also consider aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster, depending on how much more aggressive your new pressure plate is. some aftermarket clutch companies specify their use.

and as others have said, do your pilot bearing at this time too. best of luck with it :beer:

zPipes

Established Member
New TOB, pilot bearing, and pivot ball. All ford. A few extra bucks will get you a new clutch fork. Usually you can get a frpp tob in the market section here for a decent price. You can get these from a dealer, or everything is available at americanmuscle.com

Also, I suggest going to fastenal (website) and getting grade 8 bolts for the bellhousing, or class 10.9 which is the metric version. I think they are metric now that I think of it. I think I still have my receipt from when I bought them so let me know if you want the part number.

Users who are viewing this thread