Negotiate salary when applying for job within company?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Applied for a position in another department within my company and was wondering if it's normal to discuss salary or I take or leave what they have. I'm more concerned about an easier schedule so if it even remains the same I'll be happy.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Assuming by your location that you work in O&G.... so yes, always negotiate. Big shortage in talent in that field right now and any company would prefer to keep things in house rather than hiring someone from somewhere else. Worst they can say is no. Make your desires clear but don't come on so strong that they end up offering you nothing.

jbs$

Established Member
Within the same Company, you get promotions and salary increases, set by establish policy. If you try negotiations for more, you will be considered ungrateful and possibly not a team player. Be very careful. Written by a former Senior Corporate Executive.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
It's O&G. I'm more worried about being offered less than what I'm making now, than a raise (which would of course be better). The only other major factor is having a better schedule to make getting an MBA not so draining on my life. As it stands, if I did the program I'd have my weekends taken away for almost 2 years. I only get every other weekend off now. I guess I just ask how the pay is if they offer.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
GE Oil & Gas?

Yes, always negotiate. Ask for another 2% and as justification note your excellent performance ratings (assuming you are rated excellent) and the fast pace of the new role.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
GE Oil & Gas?

Yes, always negotiate. Ask for another 2% and as justification note your excellent performance ratings (assuming you are rated excellent) and the fast pace of the new role.

Apache Oil.

Great thoughts. I was rated as exceeding expectations on the last review. The job I'm applying for is actually less hectic, which is why I'm interested.

jbs$

Established Member
OP, in the real World "exceeding expectation" is not the same as an excellent rating. Just by the fact that you are looking for a lower stress job and you are concerned that it may pay less, should tell you a lot about yourself. Be careful about whose advise you take and how you approach this. You may not like the answers if you over reach.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
OP, in the real World "exceeding expectation" is not the same as an excellent rating. Just by the fact that you are looking for a lower stress job and you are concerned that it may pay less, should tell you a lot about yourself. Be careful about whose advise you take and how you approach this. You may not like the answers if you over reach.

It tells me that life is too short to spend your life at work, but not to be an idiot about weighing consequences. The way it was explained to me is very few top ratings are given out so not to feel bad, I still got the max percentage raise so I'm satisfied. I've been averaging 60 hours a week for the last few years; I'm in need of a break. Most of that was working nights and as I'm sure you're aware the negative health effects are compounded. I know what you're getting at bud, and it's not the case. I've been going all out trying to make it the last ten years since I've gotten out of military and want to slow a little. My job isn't nearly as bad as working nights and going straight to class though. That sucked big time! If they kept me at the same salary I'd still be taking a loss since I currently rate OT. Just don't want to take that big of a hit.

Last edited:

INNOVATE_1

Part-time Dream Crusher
Established Member
OP, what is it about your current job that is "hectic"? Hours? Labor? Responsibilities?

Typically but not always, hours and labor will not grant a raise. Increased responsibilities on the other hand, work in favor of requesting or receiving one.

Does the new position entail more responsibilities? It sounds like being less "hectic" in your industry does not, unless you are moving up in management.

Be wise in your negotiation but definitely ask to be compensated accordingly in a given position. Prepare to intelligently defend/justify your request. If you just "ask" then you run the risk of being looked as ungrateful or greedy like already mentioned.

GL

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
OP, what is it about your current job that is "hectic"? Hours? Labor? Responsibilities?

Typically but not always, hours and labor will not grant a raise. Increased responsibilities on the other hand, work in favor of requesting or receiving one.

Does the new position entail more responsibilities? It sounds like being less "hectic" in your industry does not, unless you are moving up in management.

Be wise in your negotiation but definitely ask to be compensated accordingly in a given position. Prepare to intelligently defend/justify your request. If you just "ask" then you run the risk of being looked as ungrateful or greedy like already mentioned.

GL

In short, I'm on a team responsible for the well being of every employee and contractor worldwide. I also help coordinate disaster response. The job, while not labor intensive, is very stressful. I work 12 hours at a time minimum, along with holidays, weekends, and nights. My group is the only position that doesn't have the M-F schedule, and that's the biggest appeal for me to lat move. I saw how laborious the oil industry is working in the patch, which is why I finished school. Talk about motivation to get a degree!

The new job has about the same level of responsibility if not a hair less. I think I'm just going to approach it as inquiring about the salary vs. making requests if I even get offered it. The thing that sucks about this is I'm really good at what I do now, love it, and have a great team.

Last edited:

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
I would think hours worked is irrelevant in the oil field. IMO it's understood most will work long hours. When there's work, you work. When there's no work, it gets bad. There's usually nothing like a 40 hour week.

As for raises, i cant comment on that. I see way too many people go chase 2-3 dollars an hour in the oil field down here with machine shops. It's nuts.

Coiled03

Established Member

And this, folks is the best advice to die early, if you're interested.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I would think hours worked is irrelevant in the oil field. IMO it's understood most will work long hours. When there's work, you work. When there's no work, it gets bad. There's usually nothing like a 40 hour week.

100% correct.

I worked on average 100 hours a week.. BUT when it got slow for about a month last year. I got 8 hours a week for 3 weeks.

It's all dependent on where you are... Colorado/Wyoming/Utah.. Yeah you will get your slow times. Texas, and North Dakota.. Nah you're full blast 24/7/365.

I heard West Virginia and Lousiana were " okay" but they don't pay squat.

Stanger00

Established Member
Apache Oil.

Great thoughts. I was rated as exceeding expectations on the last review. The job I'm applying for is actually less hectic, which is why I'm interested.

Last company I worked for sold a bunch of parts to the company you work for when an engine on a platform blew 2 pistons on an enterprise engine.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
100% correct.

I worked on average 100 hours a week.. BUT when it got slow for about a month last year. I got 8 hours a week for 3 weeks.

It's all dependent on where you are... Colorado/Wyoming/Utah.. Yeah you will get your slow times. Texas, and North Dakota.. Nah you're full blast 24/7/365.

I heard West Virginia and Lousiana were " okay" but they don't pay squat.

Frac life motha****a. I've had a 40 hour week before - it was my last 3 days at Halliburton :lol:

Today marks exactly three months since I've worked, gonna screw around for another couple before I head back up to the fields but this time for a company that actually pays their engineers. Contemplated a move to OKC but realized I'd much rather stay with the rotational work and keep my home in CO but work in ND.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Frac life motha****a. I've had a 40 hour week before - it was my last 3 days at Halliburton :lol:

Today marks exactly three months since I've worked, gonna screw around for another couple before I head back up to the fields but this time for a company that actually pays their engineers. Contemplated a move to OKC but realized I'd much rather stay with the rotational work and keep my home in CO but work in ND.

****ing frac life.

I'm contemplating going back to ND, but actually working with a company that pays their people.

It's a shame.. different companies paid more for a guy in a water truck than my old company paid Hazmat Drivers. Go figure.

RocketSurgeon

Established Member
Yup - pretty amazing the disparity there can be in pay between different service companies. A lot of the smaller companies that finally established good footholds are starting to expand and add crews so they're throwing a lot of money out right now.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member

As for raises, i cant comment on that. I see way too many people go chase 2-3 dollars an hour in the oil field down here with machine shops. It's nuts.

I work at corporate. No more field for me.

galens47

Established Member
Absolutely! Aim high too. Do some research on what equivalent positions make and aim for the high end of the range. The worst they will do is say no, then you renegotiate for a lower amount with a review and consideration for a raise within 3-6 months. Say something like this: I'm bringing many years of experience to the table.

Do the negotiation after they offer you the job, but before you sign off on it.

Users who are viewing this thread