Neighbor w/a Typhoon

Tim Bindon

Established Member
3 doors down is a sharp looking Black Typhoon. Everytime I see it i'm tempted to put a smart ass sticky note on it that says your truck is slow. So last Saturday as i'm sitting in the my truck with my buddy who is buying my POS winter beater he sneakily rolls up next to me and floors it. I immediately drop it into drive and head out after him. I pull up behind him at a light (there was a car in the other lane) and wait for the green. My buddy is telling me that he'll crush me out of the hole but I might be able to come back on him. He takes off at about half throttle and ride up on him. Then he lets her have it. I nail it and real him back in and pull up next to him and then right by. I slowed down, he gave the polite wave and that was the end of it.

Question: Do I have a chance if we hit it out of the hole?

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
They are quick but I don't think they are a match for an L. They benefit from very little turbo lag but the L's don't have lag either so it would probably come down to a drivers race.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by Booyah
They are quick but I don't think they are a match for an L. They benefit from very little turbo lag but the L's don't have lag either so it would probably come down to a drivers race.
having all wheel drive on a start would be very advantageous for the Typhoon......

wilEcoyotE

Established Member
I own an '87 grand national - has the same drivetrain as the typhoon but wieghts a little less. These V6 turbo cars can be modded up quite succesfully. A stock 3.8 turbo car - syclone/gn/t type buick/typhoon should run about a 14.0 but have 0-60 times more like 5.0sec, where a stock L will do approx. same 1/4mi, 0-60 times are slower. So yes, in good running order the turbo 6 should take you on launch - esp with the AWD of the typhoon, but the L should get to 100mph quicker - ie - it's a close race up to 70 80mph, then you should take him.
The turbo 6 cars can easily do 12's and even high 11's with as little as 1500.00 in parts. Those engines are built to cram lots of air down thier throats. There are twin turbo V6 buicks running 9's and lower at the track. Don't get me wrong I love my L but hey, juice is juice - I think the only turbo 6 that looks ok is the gn....... just my .02 - stevet

wilEcoyotE

Established Member
Sorry none - but once I have it rebuilt, maybe then. I'm hoping to mod it up to run mid to low 12's.......wish me luck. :-D

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by wilEcoyotE
Sorry none - but once I have it rebuilt, maybe then. I'm hoping to mod it up to run mid to low 12's.......wish me luck. :-D
shouldnt take a lot to get it there either, those cars are simply bad ass!!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by sohowcome
steve, I would love to hav a GN............ kinda a dream of mine... they are awesome cars.... do you have any pics of yours??
GN-X !!

That is an awesome vehicle 0-60 at 4 secs.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
Er, how do the drivers really matter in an Auto?? Besides launching its a no brainer...

Originally posted by Booyah

wilEcoyotE

Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
Er, how do the drivers really matter in an Auto?? Besides launching its a no brainer...

Ok, when you are driving a vehicle with a lot of torque and you have only street tires on, you can get a lot of wheel spin even on dry pavement. So if two vehicles are very close in hp/lbs ratio and both are autos then it is very important at launch how much spin you allow as you launch before you let off, just a little to let the tires gain traction before you hit it hard again. I used to have a modded '96 T/A and it would move, but I lost several races at launch due to excessive wheel spin until I realized that I could reduce my time to 100mph by using less throttle at launch. If we all rolled around on slicks all the time, then ya - no brainer w/auto.
In the real world it's a little different. I have been taken in the 1/8 mile by cars with much less hp than my L simply becuase I could not keep the wheels from spinning through 1st gear. With caltrac traction bars, stickyer tires and a lowered rear I could beat all those guys easily - with the same hp. It is the whole setup, not any one part that wins the race, and of course the driver always adds/subtracts from the ability of the vehicle.........
Just me .02 :D :D :D :D :coolman: :D :D :D :D

MiamiWhiteSVT-L

Established Member
Originally posted by wilEcoyotE
I own an '87 grand national - has the same drivetrain as the typhoon but wieghts a little less. These V6 turbo cars can be modded up quite succesfully. A stock 3.8 turbo car - syclone/gn/t type buick/typhoon should run about a 14.0 but have 0-60 times more like 5.0sec, where a stock L will do approx. same 1/4mi, 0-60 times are slower. - stevet

Steve, aren't the Ty's and Sy's turbo'd 4.3's and not 3.8's.....plus AWD???

Therefore, how much of the drivetrain can they really share.....what are the similarities and differences.......I'm curious.

Not flaming, just a little curious as to the true similarities.........I wasn't aware of that.

thx,
JC

wilEcoyotE

Established Member
Doooh.....

Of course your right - they are 4.3 and turbo buicks are 3.8, the
diff. is not much, kind of like the old 327 to the 350chevy, same block bored out. There was also a 4.8 that they put in the astro vans and even 1500 pickups! My point was that the hp/weight ratios on these vehicles are almost identical (stock to stock). They actually share a great deal of nos parts - and in fact tbuick guys upgrade many parts on thier cars with nos S10 parts - wheel pieces, brake parts, suspension , etc... And yes, there are many unique drivetrain parts as well - AWD on sy/ty's and the buick 8.5 posi rear end being two of them. I was just trying to est. the similiarity between the 3 vehicles so that my ownership of a gn would make sense in the thread........I have raced a typhoon that I think is close to stock when my gn was stock and it was a very close race - he actually took me by 1 1/2 lenghts up to 100 or so. And yeah, I think the AWD made a big diff. on his launch - he has better traction by??? some anyway. Of course once I get my new setup installed tuned - around 450hp - I will be ready to try him again !!!
:burnout:

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Just for kicks Chevy had a 8.1 Liter Chevy 1500 AWD pickup at the Auto show, had somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 ponies....... but geeez was it ugly!!

Users who are viewing this thread