New 04 Cobra Owner Questions

Go Heels

This space is useless
Established Member
Well, I finally did it..bought an 04 Cobra Coupe with 20,000 miles. Awesome car..I do however have some questions. The Ford Dealership I got it from Ford Certified the car, which means it has a powertrain warranty until 2010 or 75,000 miles. The car has exhaust (cat-back), a BBK CAI, and I think an aftermarket thermostat (it takes about 20 min to get to normal temp). The dealership agreed to put all the stock stuff back on the car..at my request because I live 6 hours away from the dealership I got it from. I'm worried that the dealerships around here will balk at warranty work if mods are done..to me the warranty is more important than 20 horsepower. I'm planning on driving it back..6 hours to the dealership to have the stock stuff put back on...my question is..if I decide to NOT have the stuff put on..what are my chances of A. Something bad happening to the motor and B. If something happens my chances of the dealership telling me to fly a kite because mods are done. Now, I can always take it back to the dealership 6 hours away if anything happens..but that would be one heck of a tow bill.

nighthawk756

Who? Me??
Established Member
If all it has is those mods, they within themselves won't cause a problem with the motor. You will be fine. Although I'm not sure about the thermo thing but you could always change that yourself or just have them change just that.

But if you leave the mods on it, I would get it in writing that the dealership will cover the warranty with them installed. That way, whatever other dealership you carry it to might possibly honor it if they see that the warranty was given with the mods installed.

AzianStang

Third Eye Slanted
Established Member
But if you leave the mods on it, I would get it in writing that the dealership will cover the warranty with them installed. That way, whatever other dealership you carry it to might possibly honor it if they see that the warranty was given with the mods installed.
That is your fail-safe right there. Make sure the managers/owners sign and date it, and make sure it states all details of your warranty. You can't trust Ford nowadays.

Keep the mods because I doubt you will have any trouble with the car. If the thermo goes bad, just replace it. It would be cheaper to replace it locally or by yourself than have it towed/trip money back to the dealership.

Oh yeah and welcome to the Terminator family! :beer:

Go Heels

This space is useless
Established Member
Thanks guys..and I'm faily sure I will have it put back to stock..that's the surefire way to no problems. It's going to be my garage queen and I don't see any trips to the dragstrip in it's future. I'm trying to figure out what kind of exhaust it has..it's got DroneMaster mufflers..but the cat back system has flanges(sp) right after the rear axle..it's not any fancy metal because it's rusted..so it ain't Borla..and Flowmaster cat back systems are one piece from the mufflers..any ideas what it might be. I know one thing...it drones like a mofo going 70 MPH..

Users who are viewing this thread