New 2.2 KB setup

724COBRA

Established Member
I am very pleased to say that I the soon-to-be proud owner of a KB 2.2. I have a couple questions. First, as you can see in my sig I have done lots of IRS upgrades and my car has NO wheel hop at 465 hp. What are guys running TS with a built IRS experiencing? I hope the hop is not too bad. Second, what clutch are people running. I don't expect the stock to hold up long. Should I keep the stock flywheel? The stock one is aluminum correct? Third, how well do the stock bottom ends hold up with a TS compared to an Eaton?

Sorry so many questions, just excited!

Thanks,
Jamie

CobraMac

Established Member
Well coming from personal experience, I don't have any upgraded bushings other than MM diff bushings, and I have a BF irs brace. I used to have a ported eaton making 509/507 and I had wheel hop like mad, now with the whipple I don't really get wheel hop, it just spins the tires. BUT that's because I have not put my DR's on yet. If you talk to most guys with TS's a lottt of them like to upgrade their halfshafts, so that might be something you will want to look in to. I'm talking like this because I am yanking my IRS this weekend and throwing in a built solid. If you really want the most solidified feeling from your IRS though, throw on some leve 5 halfshafts and then you will be done with it all!

Clutch wise most TS guys upgrade to the 26 spline input shaft and are running all types of clutches. The most popular seem to be the Spec 3+ and the Centerforce DFX. I had the centerforce dfx and didn't like (thats my own personal experience, so many others love it, so its up to you obviously) so I replaced my clutch with the Ram HD and I LOVE the thing. It's amazing, feels amazing, and grips like no other. I have not had the spec 3+ before, but I know that I am going to throw in a dual friction clutch when I burn through this one. If you don't mind spending a little over a grand for a clutch, than definitely go with a twin disc as it will hook up like no other. Only setback may be that some of them aren't the best for street driving. If you want a twin disc than definitely do your research.

You will definitely be fine keeping your stock flywheel. Yes it is aluminum and it is a very light flywheel compared to the steel ones out there. That is one really good thing ford threw in our cars when they made them. Just have it resurfaced and throw it back in there and you'll be good to go!

Now with the stock bottom ends, our cars hold up fine. It doesn't matter if you have a TS, turbo or an eaton, boost is boost. Our cars (as you probably already know) have forged internals, so they can handle a good amount of boost. Once you start getting into the 20's though you might want to think about going with a built shortblock. To get to that range though you will have to be running a high octane fuel. So street wise on pump gas you will be looking at about 17-19(max) psi so you will be totally fine with our stock bottoms ends.

I hope all this helps you out some. Luckily I'm bored so I had the time to type this all out haha. Good luck with everything and congrats on going twin screw! You'll loveee it! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread