New 3.2 KB on its way!

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
So I decided to pull the trigger on the new 3.2L Kenne Bell with a full Fore return style fuel system. I wanted to get a hood first but Van said it should fit with just the lowering mounts. I also did not want to lower my motor due to my headers already being low but in the grand scheme of things it isn't lowering it much more. At least I hope not. The wife's stipulation on me getting the KB was that I not spend another $2-3K on a hood. So that's that. Anyway, everything should be in Monday/Tuesday and install will start later on in the week. Anyone with the KB lowering mounts and Dynatech long tubes have any advice on lowering? Will I have to deny the headers? Any thing else I need to look for during the install aside from just reading the directions? Thanks all and I can't wait to get this thing on! By the way, I'll be running E85 most of the time and 91 as a back up. ~15psi for 91 at elevation and 18-20 for E85 I think.

Last edited:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats on getting a KB. The KB engine mounts are easy to put in, but getting the stock mounts out is a pain.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Thanks! Yeah I bet it's going to be a pain. Especially with the LT's in the way. Luckily I have a lift, so that should make things a little easier.

jazz

Established Member
Nice. Im running 2.8 kb, headers with return style fuel sytem. I didnt use the lowering motor mounts instead made a small notch in the hood and it fit fine. I have a pic of it in one of my threads, i think under revanracing banner...

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Nice. Im running 2.8 kb, headers with return style fuel sytem. I didnt use the lowering motor mounts instead made a small notch in the hood and it fit fine. I have a pic of it in one of my threads, i think under revanracing banner...

Interesting. What size pulley are you running? How much clearance do you have between the blower and hood?

Edit:I tried to look for it but I couldn't find it. Do you have a link? I could just be blind too...lol

Last edited:

jazz

Established Member

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Nice! Love the color combo! ;-) I wonder if it's different between the years? I think Van said the deck height can differ between the engines up to a half inch. I may just do the lowering mounts to be safe.

jazz

Established Member
Nice! Love the color combo! ;-) I wonder if it's different between the years? I think Van said the deck height can differ between the engines up to a half inch. I may just do the lowering mounts to be safe.

Thanks bud. Dont know about the years...
Your gona love the whistle of that 3.2 Kb

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Yeah I can't wait! I'm super excited to feel the difference between the TVS and the KB. I just wish I had a built block so I could really turn it up. Next year though, next year....lol

jazz

Established Member
You ll prolly have better traction with Kb, not as much low end tq. Im planning on building my motor too next year hopefully... Lol
Better rods and pistons. Goals is around 850 to the wheels

jazz

Established Member
I thought the KB's still had a ton of torque? Not 1:1 like the TVS's but still up there...?

Compare to tvs no. Kb still makes some tq tho. I love my KB. They make more power up top. Also depends on your combo. As well. Are you running a lower pulley too or just upper? Lower one gives you more tq. Im just running upper and i plan on keeping it that way. Im prolly gona run 2.5 upper after built motor...

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Looks like you got the pair of dueces, elevation and only 91 octane. That sucks! Congrats on the KB though, the top end pull will definitely make all the work worth it when you are done!

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Compare to tvs no. Kb still makes some tq tho. I love my KB. They make more power up top. Also depends on your combo. As well. Are you running a lower pulley too or just upper? Lower one gives you more tq. Im just running upper and i plan on keeping it that way. Im prolly gona run 2.5 upper after built motor...

No lower for me either. Maybe in the future with the built motor but not currently. I think I'll miss the torque but most of my pulls are done "on a closed road at highway speeds". So I think that is where the KB will shine. Besides, like you said, traction is tough to get down low with the TVS unless you are setup for drag and have some good drag radials as a bare minimum. We shall see though!

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
Looks like you got the pair of dueces, elevation and only 91 octane. That sucks! Congrats on the KB though, the top end pull will definitely make all the work worth it when you are done!

Lol Yes, and a greedy Mustang dyno to boot! I know they're just numbers, but when you don't have a decent track around you to practice at, you kind of have to ball park where you want your car to be based off the numbers of others who have achieved that goal. There are a ton of great and inspirational people on this forum so I have to look at their lessons learned and develop my car around them. One piece at a time. However, I have the 91 and elevation fighting me the whole time. Finally got E85 dialed in, but I'm switching to the return style system which should prove to be more reliable and having the bigger blower will hopefully put me to where I want to be.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
So I finally got everything installed and went to start it tonight to set the base fuel pressure and it won't turn over. It just keeps turning and turning. I've never delt with a return style system nor a KB so I am trying to figure out what the heck is going on. So many changes its hard to pin point, but does anyone have any ideas? Changes include: 3.2LC KB kit, Fore triple pump hat, FC3 controller, regulator, return line, and JLT 148 super big air intake.

69b302

Established Member
What is the fuel pressure key on? My 07 would run without any tune modifications for return fuel(it would CEL), but believe the 10s and newer require tuning. I swap back to my stock wiring harness and run the 465s in a returnless manner for state inspections, and the 465s work ok in this manner. If you left all the stock wires, might be able to swap and verify if it is return fuel or blower related. Regulator should be above the returnless pressure, so it does not return the fuel, if you run the pumps returnless.

Last edited:

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
I don't know as to whether or not I have fuel pressure to the regulator because the key on position only turns the pumps on for 2-3 seconds. I don't know if me turning the key would send pressure to the regulator or not, (it should...) but I have no way to tell with me in the car trying to start it. Lund is tuning it. Any way to datalog it while trying to start to see what the issue is?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I know when I did the return style fuel system in brothers 03 cobra I could key on engine off and the fuel pumps would be running full time so I could adjust the fuel pressure on the regulator before I started the car. I have yet to do a full fuel system on a Gt500 but I would imagine you would want the fuel system to be running full time when you key on, you're probably not getting enough fuel to the rails with it only running for 2-3 seconds. Who makes the fuel system you bought? maybe give them a call directly and see what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread