New Addition - Our First Great Dane

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Nice pup man. Please be careful with bloat on these big dogs, we lost our 3yr old male bullmastiff due to his stomach turning inside out after dinner, and it killed him on the spot.

They really should not exercise, run at all after a meal.

Big dogs just seem so human like. you are going to have an amazing relationship and journey with your boy. He is going to be massive, has huge paws.

Our big babys

FxCam_1338682683935.jpg

FxCam_1338682657880.jpg

Last edited:

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
Awesome. Where did you get your Great Dane at?

We picked him up from a breeder near Celina Ohio. We were very lucky because all the pups had been sold when we stopped by to see them. We decided to leave our name and number in case anyone backed out. Sure enough, a person backed out and we got the call. We raced over there and picked "Gunner" up that afternoon. :dancenana:

Thanks for all the great information and advice everyone is giving, and love the pictures of everyone's pets.The wife and I are very excited and looking forward to having one of the greatest Dane's ever.:beer:

icd_rob

Sonic Blue PGT
Established Member
We picked him up from a breeder near Celina Ohio. We were very lucky because all the pups had been sold when we stopped by to see them. We decided to leave our name and number in case anyone backed out. Sure enough, a person backed out and we got the call. We raced over there and picked "Gunner" up that afternoon. :dancenana:

Thanks for all the great information and advice everyone is giving, and love the pictures of everyone's pets.The wife and I are very excited and looking forward to having one of the greatest Dane's ever.:beer:

Very nice. The reason why I asked, my cousin breeds them and it's the same kind of pup you just bought. Duke Danes || dukedanes.com

2001sleeper

Established Member
I have a Dane mix (110lbs) and we started off crate training him. Now he roams the house to scare off people and use use te crate as his timeout spot.
I always thought is was lame to have a big dog locked up in a crate as I wanted a big fog for some security.

ASUSMC

Oh Hi!!!
Established Member
Actually the whole purpose of crate training is to avoid the issues you mention. You don't use it as a place of punishment, you make them go there for a place of comfort. Never throw them in their in anger, just place them in there for bedtime or during the day if you work and usually with a treat and/or some choose to feed them in it as well. They learn that is a place of safety and then also don't hate it when you put them in there when you leave.

We used this method with both our current dogs and it worked great. However after about a year to two years, depending on the dog, we ended up not crating them at all and they just have free rain of the house... which is what we wanted in the first place. It's just when they are puppies and/or younger they can tend to get into things and when your "puppy" is 100+ lbs and has jaws the size of a bear trap "getting into something" can mean eating half your couch! :)

You mean like this....
4edbf871.jpg

2271dfce.jpg

or this...
dd11ae3a.jpg

Nanner

Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice

We have 2 females. 5 & 6 yr olds. Taste of the wild blue bag- fish is great choice.

I agree with NO people food, their stomachs are VERY sensative - dane diarrhia is not good. We over fed our first girl, they dont need much as they are not too active. try not to over feed.

Last...and i'll bow out - walk them a lot as a pup making sure they dont tug on the leash. This would be bad news when they get older and kids try and walk him/her.

Booky

Established Member
We are currently feeding him Eukanuba large breed puppy food but I just ordered a 30 lb bag of Precise Holistic Complete Large Breed Puppy Formula. It is supposed to be one of the best foods for a Great Dane puppy.

qA6RONH.jpg

Edited To Upload Lost Pictures

Last edited:

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Very nice

I agree with NO people food, their stomachs are VERY sensative - dane diarrhia is not good.

Last...and i'll bow out - walk them a lot as a pup making sure they dont tug on the leash. This would be bad news when they get older and kids try and walk him/her.

Both great pieces of advice. I'll just say that explosive diarriha that starts 3ft in the air makes QUITE the mess!!!!!!!! Especially when near a wall... ask me how I know! :nonono:

And one other item, which you've probably already considered, but don't let them on any furniture (possibly not even that little chair you took the pic in) unless you want them on it when they are 100-200 lbs. It's much easier to keep them off now than it is later! But I understand that it sure is easy to let that little ball of cuteness up on the couch or in the bed with you now but you'll regret it a year from now, lol.

Booky

Established Member
I am going to try and post new pictures of Gunner every couple weeks to document his growth. Here he is at 10 weeks.

y87851k.jpg

HDMlxAm.jpg

Edited To Upload Lost Pictures

Last edited:

noco5.0

Established Member
Beautiful dog. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere but I would strongly suggest getting the gastropexy procedure done. They basically attach a small part of the dogs stomach to the outer skin. It won't prevent bloat, but it will prevent tortion which is what will kill the dog. I have my second English Mastiff and we did this with him when he was neutered. Definitely comforting to know that his chances of dying from bloat have been greatly reduced.

100_2002-1.jpg

Last edited:

otter

Established Member
Our Dane is 5 months old and we got her when she was 10 weeks. She is our first Dane. We did a lot of research on the breed before we got her. We've had dogs before, but wanted to make sure that we were prepared to care for her. Between the feeding and some of the health issuses they can have. Just be careful not to over feed. You would think we starve ours the ways she acts when we get her food. The puppy stage is frustrating, but just reamin calm and it will be fine. Enjoy the goofiness that comes with the Danes personality

Booky

Established Member
The puppy stage is frustrating

We are definitively finding this out. Between the frustration of buying very expensive dog food only to see him enjoy eating mulch, leaves and rocks in the yard, to having him play "dead" and act like a big rock every time we put the leash on him.:-D

We had a trainer come over and walk us through some exercises with him. He was a perfect gentlemen when she was there. He went along with all the training like he was the best dog in the world. As soon as she left he turned into Satan.:nonono:

Gunner is very intelligent and 95% of the time a complete joy to be around. We just have to figure out how to work around that other 5%.:beer:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Ex just sent me pic of Queenie on sat.....i asked to buy her off her and she said no shes breeding her, so i asked for a puppy, hell i even asked to buy queenie or a puppy, she said no.....I hate my ex wife.....

q-1.jpg

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
I am going to try and post new pictures of Gunner every couple weeks to document his growth. Here he is at 10 weeks.

]

Easy to tell that dog is a lazy bum! The picture of him asleep with the treat in his mouth is awesome.

Ex just sent me pic of Queenie on sat.....i asked to buy her off her and she said no shes breeding her, so i asked for a puppy, hell i even asked to buy queenie or a puppy, she said no.....I hate my ex wife.....

Great looking dog you had.

That bitch..

Users who are viewing this thread