New best 1/4 mile time, lost a halfshaft doin it !~#$

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I took my Cobra out tonight after I got done with evening classes to the "local" strip, LACR in Palmdale.

For those of you who arent familiar with the track, its about 2700ft above sea level, is never prepped on "grudge" nights, and is generally not cool but its the only place around here.

My first two runs got me [email protected] and [email protected], which, when converted to sea level times, 13.35@108 and [email protected].
Nothin to write home about, but at least a little consistency :shrug: 2.3 60 footer on the second run, didnt get a time for the first.

Let it cool down, took it back out.
Slipped the clutch off the line, got some spin, but felt like a good launch. 2.12 60 footer on the F1s. Hit the shifts pretty hard (put my Tri-Ax in this morning) and crossed at [email protected]. This converts to a [email protected]. Getting better. 5th pass ever with the car.

Pretty excited by this, went back to the lanes to try and duplicate it. Lined up against my buddies 5.0 that was doin 10s, no pressure. Hopped BAD off the line, I mean BAD. I wasnt expecting it, so I didnt react fast enough to get off it. Hit second gear, nothing... WTF? Put it in neutral, back to second, motor revved up and I heard and grinding noise? :mj:

Had to get towed to the end of the track, had my buddy check it out, sure enough, half shaft was done, limped it back to the staging lanes, looking at it for myseldf for the first time, the #@%@ halfshaft is sitting on the A arm.

So the car is spending the night at his shop, gonna get it towed to my dealer in the morning. They just did the driveshaft and rear end for the vibe issue, maybe they messed up the halfshaft doing the rear end? :thumbsup:

Might I be able to shag one under warranty? Its not like I was being a total idiot and trying to launch at 6k on slicks, I didnt even burn out first, what I was doing was no different than driving hard on the streets, and what the hell is this car for???

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Man, soory to hear this. First one I've heard of let go on F1's. I've got about 25 runs under my belt with F1's. Had wheel hop a few times, but was able to get off of it soon enough. Hope it turns out well at the dealer.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Man, sorry to hear this. First one I've heard of let go on F1's. I've got about 25 runs under my belt with F1's. Had wheel hop a few times, but was able to get off of it soon enough. Hope it turns out well at the dealer.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
If you get wheel hop - you can easily break a half shaft. I try to have a spare around when I go to the track, I get consistant 2.0 60' times launching at 3000 RPMs with my stock F1's - I expect a break any day... :-D

46stang

Established Member
wow, sorry to hear that man!! That kind of takes the thrill out of your nice times!! Very nice times for lacr btw!! congrats! Wheel hop is a killer! my car didn't break when i launched at 4200rpms on slicks, when i was there a few weeks ago! It's probably only a matter of time though:( Clean all the rubber off the back of the car before you go to the dealer so they don't try to screw you!!
Leon

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Thanks guys, I was pretty stoked about my times with just a intake.

Funny thing, they did my driveshaft two weeks ago for the vibe, didnt work, took it back a few days later and they replaced the entire rear end. I just got it back a day before I went to the track.
Think somethin screwy happened with the install? I didnt expect the thing to break on my 5th ever pass with the car still on F1s and pretty close to bone stock...

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Sorry to hear your car broke. Hopefully you'll be able to join the AV gang soon. That said this has been my fear from the beginning, I've been lucky so far. I knew it was a matter of time before something failed on mine with the # of passes I have. That's why I'm giving my car a break and going through my car looking for problems to fix (not saying your problem was preventable). Once I got stuck @ the track with my '94. Trying to fix your car in the dark, w/o tools and alone sucks and an experience I don't want to repeat. Good luck.

auyon

svt freak
Established Member
It happend to me, dealer covered the warranty. It happened so easilly I couldnt belive it.

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
Man, soory to hear this. First one I've heard of let go on F1's. I've got about 25 runs under my belt with F1's. Had wheel hop a few times, but was able to get off of it soon enough. Hope it turns out well at the dealer.

My brother popped mine on the F1's. I posted about it a few months ago. Covered under warranty, after calling in a favor :beer:

Joe Lynch

Established Member
I feel your pain. I felt it 3 years ago. Even on street tires, the stock halfshafts are going to break on the '03s, just like they do on the 99s and the 01s.

I hope you get it warranteed.

Joe Lynch

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Its at the dealer getting fixed. I thought I had all the rubber cleaned out of the fender. My service advisor told me the tech found them, and just laughed at me :)

I might be going with Amazon's halfshaft kit down the line, dont have the cashola right now. Looks like they're the only game in town now..

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Yep...go with the Amazon setup....(our 03 Cobra's do have beefier axles than the 01 and ealier,still not enough though)I think it will be our best bet as of now. Then we will have to worry about the center sections blowing up.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

Team13Racing

Established Member
The same thing happend to mine. The dealer said that SVT was replacing the stock ones with Dana ones. Havent been back to the track yet though..

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
New halfshaft going in at the dealer :)

Im just gonna be happy to get the damn car back, its been gone two weeks for the vibe issue, now almost a third week from my halfshaft :(

Users who are viewing this thread