New best for my 01 Cobra

warpd

Established Member
I was really amazed how much learning to launch the car picked up time.I thought for sure I was never going to get better than a 2.1 60' on street tires. I was wrong, I went from running 8.80s to running a best of 8.58 tonight in the 1/8 mile. It just took playing with the air pressure, alot of RPM and slipping the hell out of the clutch. I don't know my 60' on the last run (the 8.58) because it was blank for some reason on my slip, but the previous run of 8.64 I had a 2.0 60' so I am assuming the the 8.58 run was sub 2.0 as that would be the only thing that would really change. Just wanted to give guys with IRS cars some hope, it takes alot of practice but it is well worth it and I am confident I can do it again now any time. Oh btw this was with me bouncing off the rev limiter right before the finish line.

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
I was really amazed how much learning to launch the car picked up time.I thought for sure I was never going to get better than a 2.1 60' on street tires. I was wrong, I went from running 8.80s to running a best of 8.58 tonight in the 1/8 mile. It just took playing with the air pressure, alot of RPM and slipping the hell out of the clutch. I don't know my 60' on the last run (the 8.58) because it was blank for some reason on my slip, but the previous run of 8.64 I had a 2.0 60' so I am assuming the the 8.58 run was sub 2.0 as that would be the only thing that would really change. Just wanted to give guys with IRS cars some hope, it takes alot of practice but it is well worth it and I am confident I can do it again now any time. Oh btw this was with me bouncing off the rev limiter right before the finish line.

Good times man. Have you ran the 1/4 mile yet? You should be in the high 12's. Launching is definately the hardest part on street tires. I finally cut a 2.0 on street tires at the track last weekend. Most of the time though I would spin or bog out of the hole. I would also spin hard going into 2nd sometimes. Next year I definitely using drag tires. I kept my tire pressure at 32 because I have nitrogen in the tires. BTW, I was "launching" just over idle.

Last edited:

16kOrBust

Established Member
Nice job, man. The only thing that sucks (from personal experience) is that slipping the clutch like that is going to fry it pretty quick in most cases, but that's really the only way to hit a decent 60' on street tires with a stick car. It sounds like you've got it down, though. Now get some drag radials and drop your 60' and ET like a rock.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Something doesn't seem right... with all those mods you should be going much quicker in the 1/8th I would think.

Can you post the full numbers up?

16kOrBust

Established Member
Something doesn't seem right... with all those mods you should be going much quicker in the 1/8th I would think.

Can you post the full numbers up?

If you really look closely at his mod list, his only real power mods are x-pipe, catback, and a boxed tune. The rest is all mostly suspension, shifter, etc, which isn't going to improve his mph much, if at all. No headers even, so I'd say he's doing pretty well.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
get a good tire and you'll really see that 60' go down.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
If you really look closely at his mod list, his only real power mods are x-pipe, catback, and a boxed tune. The rest is all mostly suspension, shifter, etc, which isn't going to improve his mph much, if at all. No headers even, so I'd say he's doing pretty well.

I accounted for the suspension...which is why I would think he should do better in the 1/8th. :shrug:

Of course without MPH or any other details it is really hard to know what was going on.

16kOrBust

Established Member
I accounted for the suspension...which is why I would think he should do better in the 1/8th. :shrug:

Of course without MPH or any other details it is really hard to know what was going on.

You can have the best suspension in the world but with street tires and basically stock power, you're not gonna go much faster than stock.

warpd

Established Member
I was trapping between 78-79 mph but I was also not shifting into 3rd by the end of the track and was bouncing off the rev limiter so once I got to the point where I was supposed to be shifting into 3rd I basically wasn't accelerating anymore. The stock gears I feel are just all wrong for the 1/8 mile, I've never run a 1/4 mile but I think the car would do alot better there based on the fact that the car doesn't seem like it even gets going till the end of the 1/8.

Users who are viewing this thread