new best time

TheBooger

umm what?
Established Member
i ran a new best time at the track tonight. i ran a 15.120 at 89.06. my 60' was 2.213. next stop, 14's :rolling: :banana: :pepper:

Lightning Kid

Lightning Addict
Established Member
Thats a good run, what mods do you have? I bet you could get into the 14s with a better 60'.

TheBooger

umm what?
Established Member
i got a cold air, and my timing bumped to 13*. i took off the bed cover and the gate and i also did the snubber trick. im in the process of getting an e fan from 8 yur ss and then i need to get some underdrive pulleys. i think after these two mods and maybe a chip i should be in the 14's.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
good run. that's almost identical to my 15.15 @ 89.01 with the same mods execpt snubber spacers. get a chip! i haven't had mine to the track since i got one, but it's gotta be good for some tenths. i only gained 9hp, but deleting the second gear converter lock up and changing the third gear lock up has really improved the drivability of my truck. alos there is no speed limiter now.

TheBooger

umm what?
Established Member
yea i really want to get a chip i just dont have the $$ for it right now. its def on my wish list though.

and do the snubber spacers really do that much?

Matt95L

Established Member
15.1 is a good time for your mods i'm sure that snubber trick is helping.If nothing else it cuts down on wheel hop.

Last edited:

roostracing

Established Member
hey thebooger...with pullies believe it or not i droped 5 tenths!!! GEt them...i ordered mine through steeda which sent me asp blue anodized pullies

roostracing

Established Member
its cheap and does alot for et....you'd definately be in the 14.6-14.7 range just by bolting on the pullies...i wonder what my truck wouldve ran with low miles like yours

roostracing

Established Member
low miles like yours...sorry thebooger...was thinking of another truck....dont know how many miles you have...sorry for the typo!

John O'Donal

You can improve the performance of your truck with the pulleys though you will need to be cautious.
Many owners just add pulleys then experience charging or cooling issues depending on your set up and driving conditions.
If you do pulleys, you should keep and eye on your gauges and see what problems you experience.

I started modifying my truck after my warranty stopped at the end of 1996.
I tried to build a truck that was both a daily driver and a naturally aspirated bracket racer that can keep up or pass a stock Gen2.
Years later I think I have done it. My truck weighs about 4430 with me in it, and has all emissions components hooked up, its also been my daily driver for over 10 years now.

I still have the original short block and its performed great. just remember as you modify the truck, dont do anything that will hurt driveability or you will probably lose interest.
Heres my truck on Drag truck http://www.dragtruk.com/ENTRIES/J5OTW7M2LLTZ.html

Good luck,

John

EastCoast5.0

Established Member
Run351, you were at FFW in Epping right? I remember your truck over by the JDM trucks.

TheBooger

umm what?
Established Member
RUN351 said:
You can improve the performance of your truck with the pulleys though you will need to be cautious.
Many owners just add pulleys then experience charging or cooling issues depending on your set up and driving conditions.
If you do pulleys, you should keep and eye on your gauges and see what problems you experience.

yea ive heard that pulleys can cause recharge problems. if this happens is there any way to keep the pulleys and correct the problem. bigger alternator, ect? thanks for all the comments guys.

Dave

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
Yep, run a 130 amp alt or a 160 if you have a serious sound system. IDK if I asid this earlier, but those are good times for your mods. -Josh

John O'Donal

To make the most power I could and retain driveability, I added a 180 degree thermostat, a smaller crank pulley, a 130 Amp Alternator (direct bolt in) and a larger Towing radiator along with an Electric fan.
When I added the electric Fan and it greatly reduces the drag of the mechanical fan. The fan uses about 30 AMPs of power, so with stock 90 amp alternator and lights/accessories "on", my truck was not charging at idle.

With the new 130 amp Alternator I am still charging at an idle with the AC, driving lights and fan on.
The Electric fan only activates when my temps get above about 180 degrees.
But even with the extreme heat (above 80) I stay really cool even at a idle (750 rpm in gear). It was over 90 degrees, heading back from Epping a couple years back from FFW, even with I- 95 traffic and the AC running I stayed cool.
Its taken along time to find what works and still makes power.
next I am looking at a Trans temp gauge and a Gen2 trans style cooler.
For many applications I think stocker is fine, but theres room for inprovement.
I want to install the new cooler behind my front bumper vents, and free up the space in front of my radiator for even better cooling.

cooler you keep everything the better/faster it will run.

John O'Donal

I live in Eastern CT, You she must go to UCONN .
I have only seen 1 other Lightning here, though there are alot of Gen1s in CT.

Users who are viewing this thread