New blower 2.3-2.9 or 3.4 whipple???

98kingcobra

Established Member
I already have a whipple 2.3 1st gen on 22lbs with supporting mods I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger blower my goal is to have 800hp on boost alone or very close to it.. I do not want to go with a bigger blower and sacrifice a lot of tq as I'm afraid I will with a 3.4... What is everyone's opinion? Also I have cp pistons otherwise stock with alittle head work not stroked or bored..

03cobrarocks

Established Member
I am by no means a blower expert, but if you get a 3.4 and run 24+lbs I wouldn't think you would loss lots of torque...

01yellercobra

Established Member
Go with the 3.4. Buddy of mine has one along with pretty much every other mod. He's in the high 700's with room left. And if it's low on torque I didn't notice it from the passenger seat.

Just to add on...my buddies engine is a stock stroke 4.6 with 8.5:1 compression. The heads were ported by Fox Lake and it has Crower cams.

Last edited:

JustaGT5408

Established Member
2.9 with E85 FTW. It is IMO one of the best 'streetable' blowers around, you can Make killer power yet maintain a ton of torque. My numbers in sig are on 21-22psi on a pretty conservative tune (11.0-11.3 AFR) on a hot day. I bought the car from OK where it was tuned on true E85, up here in IA we only get E70 so it runs a little rich. I am putting a different pulley on to hit 24psi or so and getting it re-tuned to bump the AFR up to the 11.7 mark where it should be. There are plenty of guys with 2.9 and E85 hitting well north of the 750rwhp mark though.

Last edited:

SILVER-BULLET

Established Member
I don't think I would make the switch to a 2.9 from a 2.3. That's just my opinion. Unless you were going Crusher on the 2.9.

My 03 Cobra/3.4 Setup Ran 145.8 mph/Made 700+ rear tire on 110, and through a C4. It would pull the wheels on the highway from a roll. Trust me, it had more torque than you could possibly use.

I was pulling launch timing on 28x10.5 Stiffs, and cutting mid 1.3x 60's. (5.9x@117 1/8 mile).

This was all on a stock modified inlet/small single blade TB. (Before the Crusher was available). Stock lower, and 3.5 upper.

E85 would have picked up a good amount at that power level, and helped with IAT issues due to the stock inlet.

98kingcobra

Established Member
Yah I want close to 800 on just boost tho..... If I go with a bigger blower it will definatly be with the crusher inlet... Also mine is staying 6 speed and will mostly be used on street but occasional track... How much boost were you on silver-bullet?

Swervedriver

Established Member
Where on earth did this low torque myth come from? Yeah if you don't spin the blower hard enough it won't produce as much torque as a properly sized blower, but spin it up near it's MAX RPM and engine stroke/displacement isn't going to matter.

What really matters is drive ratio and octane. If you're going to put a 3.4 blower on a low compression 4.6 and putt around at 16psi boost burning 91 octane, it's a waste and would definitely have a stronger torque hit with a 2.3 at 16psi...

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
I've ran both the 2.3 and now the 3.4! No comparison between the 2 blowers. When you here people say the 2.3 is more street able and make more torque down low, that's a flat out lie. The 3.4 is nasty on that 3.5" pulley and strong on the 4" pulley as well. My 3.4 drive just like the eaton did until you get into the throttle and you better have some good tires or you'll be in the ditch, behind and tree, or in someone's house.

stangfreak

Established Member
The only way your going to feel that loss of low end tq on a big blower is if you run it on low boost. I see people buying a 3.4 whipple and running 18lbs of boost. Just doesn't work that way.

when you spin a big blower to where it wants to be, it will be violent.

I went from a 2.3 whipple to a 2.9. Huge difference. My setup now would piss all over my 2.3. Im running 22lbs of boost stock inlet and my car made 710rwhp 650rwtq. vp100 which is only 96 octane.

Keep in mind, even people that know me in person, can tell you my car is a under achiever. It makes 20hp 20tq less than most cobras. I have a soft motor.

2.9 does NOT need the crusher. The 3.4 wakes up with the crusher. The 2.9 is one violent blower. Plus I don't have to worry about any crank issues

419forest

Established Member
I've ran both the 2.3 and now the 3.4! No comparison between the 2 blowers. When you here people say the 2.3 is more street able and make more torque down low, that's a flat out lie. The 3.4 is nasty on that 3.5" pulley and strong on the 4" pulley as well. My 3.4 drive just like the eaton did until you get into the throttle and you better have some good tires or you'll be in the ditch, behind and tree, or in someone's house.��

He's speaking the truth!

Users who are viewing this thread