new build power predictions

budman5023

Established Member
20161216_163925.jpg looking like progress, transmission is not in but the new torque converter fits and is a little smaller in diameter also there was an idler pulley missing from the driver side accessories.

budman5023

Established Member
Some good news after more annoying news earlier in the week. Wrong water pump AGAIN. HA! But all is sorted. Needed the longer snout. Everything is back together except for the wideband o2 and a start up tune that will be coming in tomorrow or early next week. I might have a truck again next week. Then the tuner will be here shortly after for a dyno tune.

budman5023

Established Member
Stopped by the shop today because of a fueling issue. We needed to find out what injectors and fuel pump. Problem is I cant remember. I think it is ford performance 47 lbs and they look identical to those and couldn't remember if it is a singe or dual walbro or aeromotive fuel pump. All I know about them both is that they were upgraded by the previous shop but with all the other problems, idk. I said to roll with my "guess" and see what happens. We will monitor all parameters associated will the fuel system and go from there.
Also, I got the break in tune so we might make some noise tonight. Went to the junk yard looking for a lightning radiator bracket and upper radiator hose support and cant find one anywhere. I did find a transmission crossmember for my 4r70w as mine was badly dented from the previous owner(my dad lol). $35 what a steal. Hopefully I can get some more pics and maybe a vid this week.

budman5023

Established Member
Got a wonderful call this afternoon. SHE'S ALIVE!!!! they put on a starter tune and all is good so far except for the squeaking snout bearing. I went ahead and ordered a rebuild kit so we can get this thing fixed before romping it on the dyno. Hope it will be ok till then. It might be ready for me to take home for a little break in. Still need to re balance the driveshaft and replace the column shifter bushings. oh and the ss brake lines

budman5023

Established Member
Soooo the truck runs but as soon as you give it any gas, the fuel pump fuse blows. I think the fuel pumps are craping out or at least one of them. Or at least I hope it's that easy of a fix but with this track record, it is probably something more serious. DAMN YOU ALAN MASON!!!

budman5023

Established Member
The fuel issue turned out to be the fuel pump was shorting in the fuel tank. Holy crap, thank you fuse. I have pictures but I cant post them yet. Looks like someone forgot to heat shrink the wires. The heat shrink is there but all loose and not where it is supposed to be. Also there is a sensor on the top of the tank that was epoxied back on but it seems to work and not leak so we are going with it. Now the wires are protected properly and so far the truck runs better and can be driven around the parking lot. I know now I have a single aeromotive 340 fuel pump.
Now they are going to replace the bad snout bearing and finish breaking in the motor according to DSS procedure. I will post the pic of the sensor soon and the messed up wires a little later.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Yikes! That is a bit scary. Glad you caught it before you had a fire or something.

Jon82387

Established Member
The fuel issue turned out to be the fuel pump was shorting in the fuel tank. Holy crap, thank you fuse. I have pictures but I cant post them yet. Looks like someone forgot to heat shrink the wires. The heat shrink is there but all loose and not where it is supposed to be. Also there is a sensor on the top of the tank that was epoxied back on but it seems to work and not leak so we are going with it. Now the wires are protected properly and so far the truck runs better and can be driven around the parking lot. I know now I have a single aeromotive 340 fuel pump.
Now they are going to replace the bad snout bearing and finish breaking in the motor according to DSS procedure. I will post the pic of the sensor soon and the messed up wires a little later.
A single 340?????? So they got rid of the dual pump setup for a single???? I would be very careful and watch your fueling.... these typically come with dual 155lph pumps i think..... so you still have a little more than stock but not much.

I would try and revert it back to dual pumps and put another 340 in there just to make sure you have plenty of fuel.

Good luck with everything sounds like you have been through hell with this truck.

Nvm just realized you installed lightning stuff on your regular 01 truck.... still not a bad idea to think about getting a lightning setup for fueling as you may be very close.
Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

budman5023

Established Member
Here is the fuel pump "mistake" and damaged sensor. Glad we caught this early too. I try not to blame the truck but the previous shop I blame for everything. Supercharger got rebuilt this week and hopefully the finish line is near.

Attachments

• IMG_5116.jpg
    IMG_5116.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5118.jpg
    IMG_5118.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 136

budman5023

Established Member
So the project ran into a couple issuse. The tuner ended up not coming in town and the lack of a alternator bracket breaking a bolt. We decided to try an e-mail tune. That is when the alternator bolt broke and didn't get far with the tune. The shop managed to get a hold of a bracket to borrow for fitment and measurements. Looks like we are back on track but I'm not holding my breath.

Attachments

• IMG_5382.jpg
    IMG_5382.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 133

budman5023

Established Member
Back on the dyno today. A little progress but another fuel issue was discovered in cylinder 1 and 8. Was thought that it was a coil pack and it wasn't. Went ahead and next day ordered NEW ford performance 60lb injectors. Probably overkill for my goals but at least I never have to worry about them again. I should of changed them knowing the track record of this build. Would also like to thank WMS for being patient with the tuning process.

budman5023

Established Member
Back on the dyno today and got the fuel issue sorted out. But..... (here we go again) the transmission wasnt acting right and found burned wires in the harness. The old shop caught that harness on fire and said they fixed it but would skip 3rd then shift back to 3rd then shifted out of 3rd early. Back on the dyno tomorrow.

budman5023

Established Member
Just got a video from the shop making dyno pulls.I will upload in a bit but it's a bad vid. Eeeee I am as gitty as a school girl. Only pulled to 4500rpm so far. Still very rich at 11.2. He said so far 370/340 at 8psi. I thought the trick flow 195 would have lowered the psi restriction. Oh well. I am still gitty. Is it gitty or giddy. F it. HA

budman5023

Established Member
Still can't upload the video. I will get some pics when I go see it. I would have taken more but the mustang is out of commission and I have been having to borrow cars. I am tired of driving the camry and forester. They are sooooo boring. The resolution is terrible anyway.
The dyno O2 sensor was throwing bad numbers and they had to replace it. They said a couple more tweaks. Back on the dyno in the morning. I also learned that those early numbers were with no timing. Don't really know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Thought that it would have more torque but they are still working on it. I need to take a tutorial in tuning. I am clueless. I am thinking about the SCT classes.

Users who are viewing this thread