New Cams!!!

FearblueR1

Established Member
I agree - I've kept my eye on this thread.

Most companies, even small ones will usually take on donor cars to keep them from purchasing a vehicle that is $34,000. That is the benifit to them.

The deal usually goes as no time or labor is charged. But the donor will pay for whatever hardware is needed. (ie. cams, sprockets, etc.) Especially in a situation where product development is involved.

You would think that at the very least they would pay for dyno time, to dialin a tune. I think they need to step up to the plate and complete this for the donor, no questions asked.

Now the donor car is sitting, the product has no real data, and no real numbers.

Everyone is losing in this situation.

Hueco

Established Member
Just a note here as the thread is getting longer and longer. Crower makes 4 grinds - billet - for 4 valves. Specs are online at their web site. I know that several people in the bay area have been thinking about getting a set. I called Comp and they have several "custom grinds" that are available now - you have to call. They had a set for my KB blown engine that sounded real nice. They said they are doing final runs now and will have them on their site very soon. SHM also has 3 grinds for 4 valve cars. It's not that cams aren't out there - just seems noone has done comparisons and dyno runs. The wo big mags always say we have tsted X cams but never on a stock motor and never using the same car. 5.0 had that SHM cam and head test and spent 4,000 for 35 hp. What a joke. Also I have never seen anyone install and dyno the FRPP cams. Has anyone?? What a joke a 10 year old engine and no one knows anything but turn up the boos. Sorry about the length.

predator

Established Member
Originally posted by Hueco
Just a note here as the thread is getting longer and longer. Crower makes 4 grinds - billet - for 4 valves. Specs are online at their web site. I know that several people in the bay area have been thinking about getting a set. I called Comp and they have several "custom grinds" that are available now - you have to call. They had a set for my KB blown engine that sounded real nice. They said they are doing final runs now and will have them on their site very soon. SHM also has 3 grinds for 4 valve cars. It's not that cams aren't out there - just seems noone has done comparisons and dyno runs. The wo big mags always say we have tsted X cams but never on a stock motor and never using the same car. 5.0 had that SHM cam and head test and spent 4,000 for 35 hp. What a joke. Also I have never seen anyone install and dyno the FRPP cams. Has anyone?? What a joke a 10 year old engine and no one knows anything but turn up the boos. Sorry about the length.

I am surprised if Crower, Comp and whoever cannot provide some dyno info on their cams, but then I am not sure how they are tested before they are put on the market. I did see an article on a 03 Cobra with the FRPP cams and ported heads that was doing well over 700hp with a KB blower. It was in one of those MM&FF offshoot mags with scantily clad women all over the car. The car was setup for some kind of endurance or road race event that lasted about 1,400 miles in a series of events where the rules were you had to drive the car to each event and then compete. Maybe somebody remembers what I am rambling about. Anyway, the cams are there. The problem seems to be that a lot of tuners are still on the learning curve with these cars.......and those that know are not talking.

I will add that .....although the R&D for these cams might have been done differently ..... the conversation with L&M says they are not happy either. I don't think they expected this kind of problem.

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Buy Dave's

Originally posted by 03InThe11s
you are a brave man. :beer: might want to bring a trailer. ya know, just in case:rolling: on a serious note, is there any information on the cams? the first manufacturer to show me dyno results is probably going to be the first one to get my money. hint hint, nudge nudge.

Extreme Motorsport (Dave S)...says his cams give 60HP...I read it on this very board....what...isn't that enough proof for you??

Sorry...couldn't resist...stop setting me up like this...

Yah, Yah.....I'll crawl back under my rock.....

Joe King

Visual molester
Established Member
Hun???

Originally posted by predator
In the process, the owner of the car has run out of funds to have the car worked on anymore.

I thought the donor car was Joe's brother's.....this is starting to sound like a bad soap opera....

Dave Harrison

Established Member
Originally posted by predator
I am surprised if Crower, Comp and whoever cannot provide some dyno info on their cams, but then I am not sure how they are tested before they are put on the market. I did see an article on a 03 Cobra with the FRPP cams and ported heads that was doing well over 700hp with a KB blower. It was in one of those MM&FF offshoot mags with scantily clad women all over the car. The car was setup for some kind of endurance or road race event that lasted about 1,400 miles in a series of events where the rules were you had to drive the car to each event and then compete. Maybe somebody remembers what I am rambling about. Anyway, the cams are there. The problem seems to be that a lot of tuners are still on the learning curve with these cars.......and those that know are not talking.

I will add that .....although the R&D for these cams might have been done differently ..... the conversation with L&M says they are not happy either. I don't think they expected this kind of problem.

I believe it was in a Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords 12 car round-up special issue.

This is the car, sponsored predominantly by Kenny Brown:
http://www.kennybrown.com/News/OpenTrackChallenge.html

Here is also a mention of the car in Muscle Mustangs, about half-way down:
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/events/0310mm_knotts/

I have the article at home (at work right now), but will try to see if they have any more info later.

Dave

03'Darin

Established Member
Coleman.....your car is going to be sick!! I can't wait to hear the numbers that thing is going to put down either.

I don't want to tease anyone......well maybe a little.....but I know someone that is putting a set of the adjustable rockers on their car and will be able to give before and after dyno #'s. The results will be available in two weeks..hahahahahaha...not really, they actually won't be available for about a month. I'll post a new thread then.

BTW....any company that relies on a customer for their donor car and that customer to foot the bill for THEIR r&d work is very suspect to me!!

RESTOMAN

Established Member
DONOR CAR

THIS IS JOE FROM JD'S AUTO REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE CENTER

THE CAR IS MY BROTHER'S I WAS DOING THE TESTING ON--HE WAS NOT BEING CHARGED FOR ANYTHING--HE EVEN PAID FOR ALL THE PARTS AND GASKETS NEEDED--HE DID NOT HAVE TO--HE WANTED TO.

THERE IS NO NUMBERS YET BECAUSE IT SEMS LIKE THE STAGE III CAMS ARE GOING TO HAVE TO BE USED WITH A KENNE BELL OR WORKS BLOWER--THEY ARE DESIGNED TO WORK BETWEEN 4500-6500 RPM OR SO--THE EATON STOPS MAKING POWER AT 4500,IT JUST HEATS THE AIR UP AND WHEN THE DEMAND FOR AIR IS GREATEST THE EATON IS FINISHED.

IT STILL MADE 525 RWHP---580 FT LBS TORQUE--
BUT FALLS OFF AT 4500 RPM.

JUST SO YOU GUYS KNOW I WASN'T CHARGING MY BROTHER-

I WILL TRY STAGE I CAMS IN ANOTHER CAR AFTER CHRISTMAS IN ANOTHER CAR AND I WILL POST THE RESULTS.

ANY QUESTIONS GIVE ME A CALL 215-938-9270

THANKS
JOE

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Re: DONOR CAR

Originally posted by RESTOMAN
IT STILL MADE 525 RWHP---580 FT LBS TORQUE--
BUT FALLS OFF AT 4500 RPM.
Thanks for the update Joe, how much boost was he running to make the 525 with the stage 3 cams?

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
and why does it fall off so early? seems like even the ineffecient heaton would do better than 4500rpm. and even if it does fall off, it still makes more power than the stock bumpsticks, right?

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
Okay guys I will try and say everything I found out form talking to Micheal today at L&M. First off the cams are ready and in stock. as are the cam gears and the lifters. call Micheal if you guys have questions or want to know about the cams these are going to do wonders for our cars, I am going with a extreme setup. I strongly feel these cams will be the best because of the cora desgin, if is completely unquie. JDM's cams are great too, don't get me wrong Jim and company know everything there is to know about these cars. I just want to do the mods now and driving to jersey all the time takes a toll on ya if ya know what I mean. Give micheal a call or ask whatever questions you want.

First off the quoted horsepower gains are flywheel #'s not rwhp

Thier not the cheapest but the best never is
Cams are $395 apeice
Cam gears are $895
Lifters are $24 ea.

and you don't need all of these parts you can buy some or all or none. Whatever suits your need for speed!:D

Hope this helps

coleman

Established Member
i went with stage 1s because i've never had cams on a car, they were having problems turing with stage 3s (mentioned above & possibly not an issue), and they are essentially half-price with your core exchange...

i wanted stage 3s, but my car is a daily driver -- or will be again.

BALDSNAKE

Stop the Car Tax
Established Member
Coleman....talk to us about cooling your beast on those volcanic hot Texas road racin tracks. After market HE? Evans coolant? Spal puller fans? Or, are you shutting her down after 11AM?

coleman

Established Member
for one, i have the KB which runs cooler than the eaton.
but still, i'm looking for a good H/E with fans as one complete unit.
no one has one yet & so many are on the horizon.
being winter right now, i have a little time to mull this all over.

i did get a canton oil pan & am getting an accusump system to prevent oil starvation as well...

but i also need more gauges to better keep an eye on possible overheating ... during my last open track event, i was only monitoring the temps from the odometer diagnostic mode... :lol1:

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
I might be able to give some kind of numbers once my car is back together...but the thing is many things are changing in my car as well.

Before I made 485rwhp/517rwtq with a 2.75 upper, 4lb lower, catted midpipe and magnaflow exhuast.

What my car will be in about 2 weeks (hopefully) will be:

2.93 upper and 4lb lower
Ported Heads/Valve Job/Port matched Upper Mainfold (from lmengines)
Stage 1 Cams (from lmengines)
Ported Blower (from lmengines)
CP Pistons (17cc dish), Moly rings...boring block .020 over
Focus Fuel Pumps
Siemen Delka 55lb High Imp Injectors

My hopes is to be the first 600rwhp cobra with the eaton blower on top :) Stay tuned...cause I WILL POST DYNO SHEETS :)

Last edited:

coleman

Established Member
lRageATMl, you may have your car back before me :cryying:
someone is jerking me around :gt:
i'm still awaiting my block... :(

TRDNiteLife

UVBNBIT
Established Member
I'm gonna keep everyone's hopes up by bringing this thread back to the top every once in a while......jerks. Haha. :D

Users who are viewing this thread