New chrome wheel info needed fast

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I just got new Nitto 315 DRs installed at lunch, and the guy showed me where the replacement chrome rim I got a few years ago is peeling chrome on the inside bad and making the tire hard to seat. I wanted to replace the wheel, so I called Ford, but they told me $600+ for one chrome 03 Cobra wheel - BS on that! :mj: So, I was thinking about getting one from AFS - I heard they look just like the oem wheel. Anyone have any feedback on them? Is the inside width exactly the same as stock (will my 315s I just bought fit it, and without hitting the IRS bolt)? I am pretty sure the stock size is 17 X 9, can someone confirm before I order?

Thanks,
Dan

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I had my factory 04 Cobra chrome wheel peel in the same spot. when I had my new Michelin Pilot 2's mounted they noticed one wheel was corroded under the chrome. He mounted the tire on that wheel and put some bead sealer on it but it ended up leaking at the bead anyway. I took the wheel to Ford and it was replaced under warranty and they even let my tire installer mount it. they did not want anything to do with mounting that chrome wheel.

Later, 04MysticCobra.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Is that not a warranty issue?

Appearance and finish issue or something?

I'd be pretty upset if my chrome started coming off the factory wheels.

In regards to the AFS units, they are not EXACTLY like the factory ones. They aren't painted on the inside, kind of a ribbed machine look, so the chrome doesn't blind you.

The 10.5's with a Nitto 315 will fit, but you WILL need to grind the IRS bolt so that they don't rub at full suspension drop. (assuming you don't want to run spacers).

Hope this helps.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
I'm scheduled to take the Cobra in next Monday now that I got a tip on a decent dealer close to me. We shall see if the rim gets replaced under warranty or not. I am also having them look at a whine that has just developed (sounds exactly like a power steering pump whine, but does not change when you turn the wheels), the driver side lumbar support that has been blown out and "repaired" at other dealers three times so far, and a front end rattle when I go over bumps. I am going to drop the rev limiter down to 2k RPMs to deter spirited "test" drives and hope for the best. I do not have a lot of faith in dealerships based on past experiences - I sure hope this one is better.

Thanks for the replies,
Dan

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Just a side note, I would tell the shop foreman that you've got a rev limiter set.

I'd hate for them to pull out and have it shut down/stutter when pulling out in front of someone....

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
mblgjr said:
Just a side note, I would tell the shop foreman that you've got a rev limiter set.

I'd hate for them to pull out and have it shut down/stutter when pulling out in front of someone....

I do - and give it to them in writing along with the list of issues for that exact reason.

Dan

King03Cobra

Established Member
Dan,
Isn't your original warranty up yet? I know you are one of the originals on this board. My warranty expired August 30, seems like I just got the thing yesterday.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Sept 23 is the day :thumbsup: I only have 28k miles on it though, and I have an extended warranty. I just don't want to pay the co-payment...

Later,
Dan

Mr. Freeze

Established Member
i had the same problem, the chrome wheel was peeling from the inside and making my oem f1 go flat every 3 days. So the tire install noticed the peeling after 900 miles on my odometer, so i had ford warranty a new one & told me if i had anymore peeling from the others to bring it in

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Another update. Just got my car back from the dealer - they put another brand new Ford chrome wheel in under warranty due to peeling on the inside. I was really shocked they didn't give me any crap! Any Dallas peeps should check out Bankston Ford for service work, there customer service is top notch. They even hand washed my car and put the tire treatment on - no spots :thumbsup: They aligned it under warranty (inside passenger front wheel wearing faster), fixed the annoying rattle I had in the front suspension, and fixed my blown out lumbar support (that has been to two other dealerships) for good using a technique they developed themselves to stop return trips. It is nice to have a complete car again.

Later,
Dan

King03Cobra

Established Member
Bankston is where I got mine and I have had pretty good luck with them too. Another good one is Payton-Wright in Grapevine which is a sister dealership of Bankstons. They actually were the ones that repainted my hood because Bankston 's body shop was really backed up and I got treated real well there as well.

Lee

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
DD2000GT said:
Another update. Just got my car back from the dealer - they put another brand new Ford chrome wheel in under warranty due to peeling on the inside. I was really shocked they didn't give me any crap! Any Dallas peeps should check out Bankston Ford for service work, there customer service is top notch. They even hand washed my car and put the tire treatment on - no spots :thumbsup: They aligned it under warranty (inside passenger front wheel wearing faster), fixed the annoying rattle I had in the front suspension, and fixed my blown out lumbar support (that has been to two other dealerships) for good using a technique they developed themselves to stop return trips. It is nice to have a complete car again.

Later,
Dan

Sounds like a great dealership. Well above what most Ford dealers would accomplish. :bowdown:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
flyn high again said:
Sounds like a great dealership. Well above what most Ford dealers would accomplish. :bowdown:

Yeah - I have gone through 4 other dealers that either gave me crap about everything (like refusing to fix my very loose front bumper cover because of light scratches on my chin spoiler), didn't fix what they were supposed to, or one that even put 36 miles on my car that I took in for cosmetic issues (and "miraculously" my throw out bearing and clutch went out on the way home from picking it up...) I have been living with these problems for quite some time (except the chrome wheel) because I did not want to deal with the hassle of dealerships again.

Users who are viewing this thread