New Civic Type R just got to the dealer

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I ordered and bought my 14 Shelby for MSRP when everyone was paying mark ups. I don't know why I couldn't get a R for the same. If you order it and don't buy the dealers car you can do it too, dealers are getting adm because it's their car, not yours, If that makes sense. It's like a private party sale.

The R is VERY limited. The only people getting that car at MSRP are the heavy hitters like Leno. 99% of people will be paying heavy mark up on it. $20-30k mark up is common practice on those cars. Unfortunately.

Branhammer

Established Member
I wouldn't pay a ADM on a mustang either. I feel like most of the negative comments here are because it is a car we don't typically like/buy.

I wouldn't pay ADM on anything because I have common sense and I'm not financially retarded. Most cars are a poor investment to start with, and throw ADM on top and you're...what...about $20k upside down within the first two years of ownership? That's full retard right there. Not to mention a lot of those cars will sell for MSRP or less after they've been in production a couple years. Blows my mind what stupid decisions some people will make to be the first kid on the block with a certain car for about....six months.

ADM is based on demand, so just like with the death of the manual transmission, I blame the consumers. If you people would stop paying ADM (not pointing at anyone. Totally generalizing), it would stop happening. Just like if you'd stop buying womens' transmissions and demand a better manual, companies would start putting the proper R&D into manuals and give us some good options. It's all based on demand...

I wouldn't buy this car, but I am only hating on it because I don't love the looks and the ADM is laughable. As far as performance, if you could actually get it for MSRP, it's not a bad little performance car at all.

It's ugly as **** though.

72SBC

Established Member
The R is VERY limited. The only people getting that car at MSRP are the heavy hitters like Leno. 99% of people will be paying heavy mark up on it. $20-30k mark up is common practice on those cars. Unfortunately.

If the new GT500 blows my socks off I'll post up my msrp invoice haha.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
If the new GT500 blows my socks off I'll post up my msrp invoice haha.

The GT500 will still not be as special. The alure to the R is the limited run production. Thats why the mark up is so high. Had Ford mass produced them like GTs, they would have sold like hotcakes and there would have been no mark ups.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
This thread made my day. I read page 1 and it was all about the Civic. I skipped to the last page, and all of the sudden we are talking about the GT500... LOL

08mojo

Established Member
More track ready than a tech pack gt350 tho. Lmao. This car is gonna be a track beast. Apparently they put down 295whp. Not to shabby considering it's rated at 305 crank. All u guys are hating on it bc its a jap car. Lol. So narrow minded.

Nope, hating on it because it's just plain ugly and it doesn't offer the performance to justify the cost.

Car and Driver said it perfectly in their review, take a look at the low points:

Lows:
Could stand to have a more thrilling exhaust note; it looks like a 2017 Honda Civic Type R.

I wouldn't pay a ADM on a mustang either. I feel like most of the negative comments here are because it is a car we don't typically like/buy.

Nope, just like above it's just not worth the asking price. There are other options out there for the same price that perform better without offensive looks, and the other options are a much better platform to build-on.

Let's allow the numbers do the talking. I wish I could find instrumented tests of the Type R, but haven't had any luck. I'm willing to bet the cars listed below can keep up with the Honda in the corners and on the brakes. Below are the only numbers I could find for the Honda (without much effort), so straight line performance it is. I know that's not the point of the car, but all of these cars are pretty capable on a track. I don't think the Honda has an advantage in cornering or braking--especially not a big enough advantage to overcome the power differences of the Camaro or Mustang.

Civic Type R ($35k):

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 5.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.3 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.6 sec

2016 Mustang GT ($33k new):

C/D TEST
RESULTS
ACCELERATION
0–30 MPH 1.7 sec
0–60 MPH 4.4 sec
0–100 MPH 10.5 sec
¼-MILE @ MPH 13.0 sec @ 112

2016 Camaro SS ($38k new)

C/D TEST
RESULTS
ACCELERATION
0–30 MPH 1.6 sec
0–60 MPH 3.9 sec
0–100 MPH 8.9 sec
¼-MILE @ MPH 12.3 sec @ 116

2015 VW Golf R ($37k new)

0-60 MPH 4.5 sec
QUARTER MILE 13.1 sec @ 104.9 mph

2016 Ford Focus RS ($38k)

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.4 sec @ 102 mph

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Nope, hating on it because it's just plain ugly and it doesn't offer the performance to justify the cost.

Car and Driver said it perfectly in their review, take a look at the low points:

Lows:
Could stand to have a more thrilling exhaust note; it looks like a 2017 Honda Civic Type R.

Nope, just like above it's just not worth the asking price. There are other options out there for the same price that perform better without offensive looks, and the other options are a much better platform to build-on.

Let's allow the numbers do the talking. I wish I could find instrumented tests of the Type R, but haven't had any luck. I'm willing to bet the cars listed below can keep up with the Honda in the corners and on the brakes. Below are the only numbers I could find for the Honda (without much effort), so straight line performance it is. I know that's not the point of the car, but all of these cars are pretty capable on a track. I don't think the Honda has an advantage in cornering or braking--especially not a big enough advantage to overcome the power differences of the Camaro or Mustang.

Civic Type R ($35k):

PERFORMANCE (C/D EST):
Zero to 60 mph: 5.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.3 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.6 sec

2016 Mustang GT ($33k new):

C/D TEST
RESULTS
ACCELERATION
0–30 MPH 1.7 sec
0–60 MPH 4.4 sec
0–100 MPH 10.5 sec
¼-MILE @ MPH 13.0 sec @ 112

2016 Camaro SS ($38k new)

C/D TEST
RESULTS
ACCELERATION
0–30 MPH 1.6 sec
0–60 MPH 3.9 sec
0–100 MPH 8.9 sec
¼-MILE @ MPH 12.3 sec @ 116

2015 VW Golf R ($37k new)

0-60 MPH 4.5 sec
QUARTER MILE 13.1 sec @ 104.9 mph

2016 Ford Focus RS ($38k)

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.4 sec @ 102 mph

As much as I am repulsed by that abortion looking car.... I do have to say that performance is actually quite great. Its purpose is handling and not 1/4.

I believe it currently holds the record for fastest FWD vehicle around the track (if you dont mind riding around on something that has the same visual appeal as a used up menstrual pad).

Ughh... just threw up a little bit in my mouth... "Defending" that thing.....

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

08mojo

Established Member
As much as I am repulsed by that abortion looking car.... I do have to say that performance is actually quite great. Its purpose is handling and not 1/4.

I believe it currently holds the record for fastest FWD vehicle around the track (if you dont mind riding around on something that has the same visual appeal as a used up menstrual pad).

Ughh... just threw up a little bit in my mouth... "Defending" that thing.....

I get it if FWD is your thing. But if you're going for performance, why start from such a big disadvantage? That's the part I could never wrap my head around in the Honda world (yes, I'm using Honda to generalize everyone that is a devout FWD warrior). Straight line or turning, that's asking a lot from the front tires.

I digress...I (and others) am not hating on it because it's a Honda. I'm hating on it because it's atrocious and there are better options out there for the money. It's a shame that Honda has such a great presence in racing, but cannot bring it to the streets in a practical manner. They can pull it off on two wheels, but why not on four?

Before the NSX comments start pouring in, I'm aware it exists. They had a good thing going with the S2000. I just wish there was more competition out there for the Mustang/Camaro, you know, the cars us common folk can afford.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
FWD can be very, very fast. But it takes a car set up so far on edge that the lawyers of these big companies would never let it out of the factory.

That little red civic comes to mind. That car is on edge and the driver is insane lol.

blk02edge

Established Member
I get it if FWD is your thing. But if you're going for performance, why start from such a big disadvantage? That's the part I could never wrap my head around in the Honda world (yes, I'm using Honda to generalize everyone that is a devout FWD warrior). Straight line or turning, that's asking a lot from the front tires.

I digress...I (and others) am not hating on it because it's a Honda. I'm hating on it because it's atrocious and there are better options out there for the money. It's a shame that Honda has such a great presence in racing, but cannot bring it to the streets in a practical manner. They can pull it off on two wheels, but why not on four?

Before the NSX comments start pouring in, I'm aware it exists. They had a good thing going with the S2000. I just wish there was more competition out there for the Mustang/Camaro, you know, the cars us common folk can afford.
I was just watching a civic make a mockery out of 3x 997.1 gt3RS, superformance daytona coupe and a 16 ACR at my local track lol... not saying it would be close with equal drivers but still fwd can be capable. Also on a tight track my focus ST is far superior than the old gts viper.

08mojo

Established Member
I was just watching a civic make a mockery out of 3x 997.1 gt3RS, superformance daytona coupe and a 16 ACR at my local track lol... not saying it would be close with equal drivers but still fwd can be capable. Also on a tight track my focus ST is far superior than the old gts viper.

On the last track day, well HPDE day, there was a nissan sentra making a fool out of the majority of the intermediate class. And the sentra did not look to be prepped! I never caught the story behind the car, but I suspect it was some sort of bet between friends.

Look, I'm not saying FWD is not capable. And I know anything can be made fast. I'll just leave it as this: it's not for me.

blk02edge

Established Member
On the last track day, well HPDE day, there was a nissan sentra making a fool out of the majority of the intermediate class. And the sentra did not look to be prepped! I never caught the story behind the car, but I suspect it was some sort of bet between friends.

Look, I'm not saying FWD is not capable. And I know anything can be made fast. I'll just leave it as this: it's not for me.
I agree, I enjoy seeing the lowly junk piles beat up on 300k cars though

72SBC

Established Member
There ya go

Attachments

• IMG_4695.JPG
    IMG_4695.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4430.JPG
    IMG_4430.JPG
    990.9 KB · Views: 114

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks very clean. Those things are tanks. Wouldnt mind owning one. Real high rate of theft for them here, unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread