New clutch fixed vibe

sapper

Established Member
From day one I had the vibe. You know what I am talking about. Can't feel it, but the mirror shakes at 75 or 85 mph.
Dealer had load force balanced tires, ended up replacing one. Changed out drive shaft and indexed. None of this fixed the problem. Ford SVT Rep drove car and said it was fine and would not allow rear axle replacement. So I figured I would just have to live with it.

A few weeks ago my clutch started the squeal that the TOB makes when it goes bad. The dealer had replaced the TOB already last October. This time they opened the tranny and found the pressure plate was factory defective. They ordered a new clutch kit and replaced all the parts.

I noticed two things when I got the car back. First the clutch pedal was much easier to push down, before it was VERY heavy. Second, the vibe was gone! I took it up to just over 100mph and the mirror was crystal clear. What a nice surprise.

So the bad pressure plate was what had caused the vibe problem all along and I assume the very heavy clutch pedal.

So I am quite happy now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread