New Clutch opinions

Camino90

Established Member
so i am replacing the clutch in my cobra and i was wondering what would be a good setup for my car. it is a 99 with full exhaust, intake, and tune. i was planning on supercharging in the near furure so keep that in mind. but for now it is my street/strip car. i also daily drive it. i heard centerforce and mc cleoud are good and i am thinkin about doin an aluminum flywheel.

what do u guys think?

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
In my old other 99 Cobra I ran the stock 03-04 clutch kit with an aluminum flywheel. Those clutches can hold some power as I had an Eaton swap with just under 450 hp and I went down the track a bunch of times and she's still doing fine to this day as I know the new owner.

I personally like to use OEM parts when I can, they just seem to last longer and be of better quality (MOST TIMES) .

MT0911

Established Member
so i am replacing the clutch in my cobra and i was wondering what would be a good setup for my car. it is a 99 with full exhaust, intake, and tune. i was planning on supercharging in the near furure so keep that in mind. but for now it is my street/strip car. i also daily drive it. i heard centerforce and mc cleoud are good and i am thinkin about doin an aluminum flywheel.

what do u guys think?

Centerforce is a great clutch. The Centrifugal weights are a nice addition and do well since you plan on going supercharged in the future. I have a few buddies running them and they absolutely love it.

How much power are you hoping to make? Another good option that many overlook is the OEM 03/04 Cobra Clutches. Those clutches are soft and feel amazing yet can handle 500-550 WHP with no issue. They are also inexpensive which is a big plus. Valeo is the brand that makes OEM clutches if you are interested in picking up a 03/04 Cobra Clutch.

Also with every clutch install, I recommend using ONLY a Ford Racing HD Throw Out Bearing and Pilot Bearing. Depending on how many miles you have - it can also be a good idea to replace your Clutch Fork and Pivot Stud while you're in there since those parts are inexpensive and you can knock them out pretty simple.

If you don't already, it is wise to pick up a new Aluminum quadrant, Firewall Adjuster, and new Ford Clutch Cable. This paired with a new clutch will feel amazing. Good luck man :burnout:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Only problem is that Ford is no longer producing the 03/04 clutches. It's what I have in my car. It's held up pretty good. Even when I had the blower on.

MT0911

Established Member
Aluminum vs Steel : it's really up to you. I run a Steel Flywheel in my Cobra. I just can justify the extra cost for aluminum. I've had Aluminum in a couple cars but I prefer Steel. With Aluminum, the rpms rev up quicker which is the plus but it also drops revs just as quick, which makes it a bitch if you drive in traffic. So if you are daily driving the car then I would just go with Steel.

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
A while back 006 had a few stock '03/'04 clutch/PP sets. Send him a PM if interested.

4a7191a

Established Member
ive got an 03 cobra flywheel and 03 clutch in my mach1. great setup. IMO
in my old 99 cobra i had an 03 flywheel and a hays clutch. it held up for 50k miles til my ex that got the cobra traded it in. im sure its still holding up well.

ive had two centerforces not hold up in my abusive days. one in a 97 mitsu eclipse turbo and one in my old mach1.

Camino90

Established Member
to answer your question i was prolly gonna be putting out around 500hp in the future. but this is good info. i am gonna look into the 03 04 clutch and prolly an aluminum flywheel since i hate how my rpms hang as it is. gonna be getting a new tob, pilot bearing, and rear main seal and possibly a fork and pivot ball depending on how they look.

Users who are viewing this thread