New clutch stuff = vibration?

T800

Established Member
Ok,

After searching high and low for a definitive answer, I decided to post my own results hoping someone will have an answer or idea.

TOB squeeled like a pig. Bought a Spec2+, Fidanza alum. FW, Liberty 26 spline, shim kit, FR TOB/Pilot bushing and Lethal TOB sleeve. Had them installed last week. Now the car has a significant vibration at idle, like it's camming hard, when before it idled as smooth as my brothers Tacoma. As the RPM's climb it get's progressively worse till 6,000+ I will throw it in neutral and you can feel and hear a gnarly vibration.

It's definitely not the drive shaft, as it does it in the driveway. It seems to do it regardless of the clutch being engaged or not. Is it possible that the pressure plate not being torqued correctly is causing this?

Clutch has had 500 miles of hardcore stop and go traffic. Grabs nice and I can feather it no problem. After reading all the complaints about Spec clutches, I wish I had gone a different route. I also wish I hadn't been lazy and installed the parts myself. :bash:

I will note that the arming switch for the nitrous was ON when I picked up the car. The bottle was off...but a WOT pull could have dumped fuel into the plenum. I doubt this has any bearing on the issue at hand...but beware. I meant to pull the wire for the switch and forgot. :fm:

Thanks for any input...car is going back to the shop in the a.m.

Last edited:

Bearden86

Established Member
sounds like it wasnt aligned properly. Did you take the inspection cover off and look when the car was running?

T800

Established Member
sounds like it wasnt aligned properly. Did you take the inspection cover off and look when the car was running?

No, but I don't relish the idea of getting under my car while its running(only have jack stands...no lift).

That's a good idea...will pass it along to the tech.

Bearden86

Established Member
No, but I don't relish the idea of getting under my car while its running(only have jack stands...no lift).

That's a good idea...will pass it along to the tech.

Ya it always makes me nervous but as long as your safe about it you will be ok Good Luck let us know

markw351

Established Member
Hmm, I did a mach I swap into my Saleen and while it was being installed the flywheel was resurfaced and a spec stage 1 clutch installed. I had a TKO 600 already. Now i have a similar problem you discribe. Clutch in, clutch out, neutral, in gear there's a vibration. Motor sounds smooth, no codes. With the whole motor being swapped I just hope it's only a flywheel or clutch issue. I have a Spec stage 3+ in the cobra and it's smooth as can be.

Last edited:

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
Similar issue her also....thinking I should have resurfaced the flywheel. Didn't because the flywheel had only been in car maybe 5 mos of normal driving.
Went from a 10 spline RAM HD to a Centerforce DFX 26 spline/shimmed and new pilot/TOB with retainer sleeve.
Subbing for extra input......

T800

Established Member
Ok...so here's what I got from the tech/service manager:

Misfire. Lol.

Tried telling me that the vibration was likely from the engine missing. I pulled the plugs(since the arming switch was on when I picked it up...coulda fouled plugs by dumping fuel in on a WOT "test drive")...plugs looked perfect...I mean text book, Google images perfect.

Luckily my brother in law is the general manager...I am going to talk to him today and see if they will take it to a nearby shop that I have had do my work since 1991. These guys will find the issue...will update as soon as I get new info.

sprstr1000

WHIPPLECHARGED
Established Member
Sounds like your ckutch assembly isnt balanced
When i bought my cobra it had an engine vibe and it came with a CF dual friction
I installed and RST with mcleod steel flywheel and my vibes disapeared

Users who are viewing this thread