New clutch- works great EXCEPT when it is cold out.

davegess

Established Member
I replaced my clutch, master cylinder, slave and all the clutch bits. The clutch had been hanging up and not always releasing when the pedal went down (it was really bad when the car was cold - to the point of having to start the car in gear), the MC was leaking and the whole thing had over 100,000 mile on it.

New clutch works great, good feel, very light and responsive everything about feels new, as it should. Then we had a morning with a temperature in the low 40s and I had no clutch. Had to start the car in gear and until the car warmed up I had to pump the pedal numerous times to get it to release even a little. Works great when it warms up and now that our mornings are back in the 50s no more trouble.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Hmm..low 40's isn't enough to freeze any fluid that might be in your system.
Maybe some lube on something that doesn't release when it's too thick because of the temp?

(I was gonna be a smart ass and say the problem is living in Wisconsin, but didn't) :D

davegess

Established Member
I have been busy so very slow to update this. Turns out the Master cylinder was bad. The guys who did the full cluthc job did not replace this as the part was new from the dealer. Since everything else as new and bleed a couple of times we tried the MC. The one we took out was not a Ford part and was the problem. Works great now.

Users who are viewing this thread