New cobra in the driveway!

Brian97vobra

Established Member
If it wasnt for the ridiculous gauges and the rust, i would have been on it.. Price is right for someone looking for a project.

1993 Mustang Cobra, Teal/Black interior- Needs little, great price

and this one is also appealing-- mileage wise, anyway

1993 MUSTANG COBRA 62 THOUSANDS MILES

Yeah i was actually going to get that one for $7k. So i ran a carfax and found out that it had a previous salvage title...:rollseyes
And the one in orlando is nice but not nice enough for $11k...

kbillan

Established Member
Ahh- see, i never ran its number because of the mods and rust.. Yah, salvage title-- no thanks.

and the other one- again, too many mods to justify the price-- plus i was trying to find something more local...

There is one in Long Island i was going to look at, it is 11k and has 84k on it. i have a lot of pics of it and it looks pretty good. I almost wish i would have went to LI instead of chicago... mainly because of the gears and little things... Grass is always greener, i guess.

seller can be annoying to email as he replies once a day (this is why i went with chicago) and the pics he sent me should have been the ones on craigslist..

1993 ford mustang cobra

kbillan

Established Member
Couldnt tell ya...

It was the MAP sensor-- no more light. Nice-- and!! my buddy had a car lot, the shop next door took care of it for me. He had a few map sensors in his tool box.. said try this-- plugged it in and gone.. charged me 40.00 for it..

Now it seems i have a new issue-- the battery seems to be giving up. Awesome. This is like vegas vacation when Chevy Chase was in the Hoover dam.. one leak, fixed it-- another sprung, fixed it.. then another... Hope it ends at the bat..

Calling ford to see what a new battery costs right now..

Keith

kbillan

Established Member
Well were not thinking battery-- THe car is still starting... it just seems tough to turn over. My friend was thinking the timing was too far advanced-- but both of his lights are broken... we did it by ear, but it still seems the starter is struggling to turn it over.

Any suggestions?

Keith

red95gts

Established Member
Well were not thinking battery-- THe car is still starting... it just seems tough to turn over. My friend was thinking the timing was too far advanced-- but both of his lights are broken... we did it by ear, but it still seems the starter is struggling to turn it over.

Any suggestions?

Keith

Buy a timing light - and don't let your friend touch it! :)

Slow starting could certainly be timing related or even fuel related. Try cycling the key on and off a few times and force the fuel pump to cycle several times. If it starts easier, it sounds like the fuel system may not be holding pressure after you shut the engine off.

kbillan

Established Member
hehe.. no worries.. he is old school.. used to work for G-Force racing.. its in good hands.

fuel system.. hmm.. good call. Where could it be losing pressure? back in the tank, i hope.. No leaks anywhere else, although i suppose it could be a leaky injector- no?

Also-- before it seemed to just let the starter turn it over a bit too much.. but now, it seems like the starter is having trouble turning the car over...

Keith

red95gts

Established Member
If it were an external fuel leak, you'd have probably smelled it by now. A leaky injector normally shows as a pretty serious driveability problem since that cylinder is normally flooded. What's most common is either the fuel pressure regulator or the pump itself won't hold the pressure and the fuel just drains back to the tank. Once the car is running, the pump provides enough volume to mask the leak and the car runs fine. A fuel pressure gauge would rule this out.

What's your voltage at the battery with the car running? What does the voltage do when you are cranking the engine? Have you had the battery load tested?

kbillan

Established Member
Good good stuff guys-- A+

Unfortunately, i am heading to class right now... So all of this fun has to wait until tomorrow :(

I read the battery just with the car off @ 13v.. I have not had it load tested... Am i to assume i can get this done at autozone or the like?

i love the fuel line idea-- im on that one in the morning.. as well as looking to get the battery load tested. The car runs great otherwise... so leaky injector is probably out.

FPR and Pump are both simple fixes if i remember correctly.. I know i did a pump on my last GT... and FPR.. well, ill have to look that one over...

No external leaks- no.

Thanks guys--

Keith

kbillan

Established Member
Okay-- battery load test yeilds good battery.

I got home and put it back in the car.. and it seems to kick over just fine. I think i may have been the cause of this one. The thing has these "thumb on" terminals. I may not have had one tight.. as now it kicks over with no issue.

Bought a timing light-- 14.99 special at harbor freight-- brought it home and was quite pleased with the waste of time that was. BACK to harbor freight-- figured what can it hurt, bought the 30.00 one-- and wow, it works. My friend did it by ear yesterday and had it between 8 and 9 degrees.. I bumped it to 11. MINE GOES TO 11.

Car seems to run fine-- I am going to be paying close attention to how it fires- i think there may be a fuel pump issue.. I pulled the FPR hose off and got nothing.

Slowly but surely.. were getting there.

gtpony

Established Member
cobra..

the guy that you bought your cobra from, he didn't have two of them did he?, if so i think i looked at them..
Greetings!

I have wanted a 93' cobra for many years. I decided now was the time as it would be an inexpensive 2nd car for us, since we just turned in a lease vehicle.

The search wasnt too bad-- though I did I have a couple of deals fall through. One because the seller decided he didnt want to sell, the other mainly because he was just an ignorant person (ha)

Yesterday- i flew out to chicago, from Buffalo and picked up my Teal 1993 Cobra.

Over all- i am happy with the car. It runs well, so far- although it does have a couple little issues.

1=I feel you need to stay in the "key" a little longer than usual to start the car. I am hoping to diagnose this today-- My guesses are low compression somewhere (ouch, i hope not- 100k mile car).. or timing way to hot??? Seems to have a little ping to the car, but that could be my fault as im used to just throwing 87' into cars... and did that all the way home without thinking...

2=I was lead to believe the car was stock except for a set of drop springs, Ofroad X pipe and cold air intake system.

Why do i think its modded more? Well, because its fast. LMAO. A stock cobra shouldnt blow the tires up on a sunny, 80 degree day- starting from say 10 mph and just mashing the gas.

Now- it has been 10 years since i have been into mustangs and i didnt remember all of the little nuances.. but as i was driving home 9.5 hours in an unknown car It hit me like a ton of bricks as i looked at the tack at 60mph.... The car has a 4.11 rear end.

This makes me sort of mad as I wanted a stock cobra...

Another concern-- It seems lumpy.. cam wise. I have never been in a 1993 cobra until yesterday- but i did have a couple GTs back in the day as well as a 5.0LX vert... I have had a car with a B cam, and been in several others with other cams... and im pretty sure ford/SVT wouldnt put this much lump in a production car in 1993...Its not a lot-- just enough to be able to tell its likely...

and finally, It is throwing a check engine light. This is not too concerning as my 91GT had a check engine lite the entire time i owned it... FORD couldnt figure it out... But this one-- Seller says it is a MAP sensor code-- and it goes away if you take the X pipe off-- comes back on when its on. Is this possible?

I know this is laughable, but the seller seemed to be a trust able guy... but i was very comfortable with him, which isnt usually the case. But i dont think any of these things were known by him.. he didnt seem like a gear head to me... just someone who wanted a cobra at one point.

anyway-- I am up early to go register the car and I double checked saturday hours one last time only to find out that they are closed for the holliday weekend. ARG.... now i have to wait till tuesday to run this thing. GLAD i rushed out and home..

Ill post pics of it soon!! I am going BACK to sleep for an hour or so... then tearin into it..

gtpony

Established Member
I have a new cobra in the drive way myself...mine has the 3.90 gears in it, is fun in to drive in town, but would like something for long drives, thinking of putting the 3.08 back in it or 3.27.

gtpony

Established Member
yep...looked at both of them, was considering the 45,000 mile car but I went to IN. and looked at a black interiour car and bought that one, been looking for awhile, glad I got one

gtpony

Established Member
he made out like it was an all original car, some of the things in the car just did not look like a 45,000 mile car, glad i passed it up

Users who are viewing this thread