new cobra owner with exaust question

skysoldier

Established Member
hey guys, So i just purchased a 2004 cobra, and he said it has a non-catted x pipe with a flowmaster catback. Neither of which i like. I am not looking for a thunderus roaring exaust. I dont really mind the flowmaster cat back, but i am pretty sure i'll need a catted midpipe to pass inspection, right? Idk anyway if any of you guys can help i would appreciate it. If you have idea on where to get fair priced mid and catback that would be helpful too.

skysoldier

Established Member
I would have to buy a catted x pipe complete right? any suggestions on which mid pipe sounds best with flowmaster 40 series?

fast ford brian

Established Member
Buy a set of cats and weld them in , saves $$$$.I have flowmasters with bassani 4" tips and walker cats from summitt .Sounds awesome.

94vert50

Established Member
I had an x-pipe without cats and flows on my car when i bought it. Sounded great but way too loud for me. I put on all Magnaflow w/ cats and it quieted it down a lot. Sounds like that's what you are looking for. Either Magnaflow or the quiet Borla (not stinger).

completeexhaust.com hooked me up! and mention svtp. I worked with Joe

skysoldier

Established Member
Yea i kinda would rather just dropping in a new mid pipe with cats, so i dont have any CEL issues. I have also heard the less cuts you have in your exaust the better, but i am obviously not a guru. Although i had new cats welded in on my GT with no issues. Any ideas for a catted x with 40 series that sound good?

Last edited:

my98stang46

Established Member
having a set of high flow cats welded in isnt going to cost you any noticable HP. You dont want a completely hacked up exhaust but having 2 cats put in wont hurt a thing

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
You can pass inspection with an O/R midpipe if you have the O2 eliminators...but, since your concern is noise level, then go with a catted midpipe...it will quiet things down a lot. Go to Youtube and search 2003 Cobra exhaust or 2003 cobra flowmaster 40 exhaust, etc. and will find dozens of Cobra owners who posted exhaust clips with the seemingly endless combination of CB's and midpipes (O/R and catted).

Finally, I would recommend (and many people here may disagree with me on this) to go have your tuner throw the car on the dyno after you install your catted midpipe just in case there were any changes to the A/F...If you don't do it, I doubt anything bad would happen, but since you just bought the car maybe it's a good idea to do it to make sure the previous owner had a good tune in it. You should pick up some torque when you go to a catted pipe, too. I had substantial rear wheel HP/TQ gains (approx. 40HP/35TQ) when I installed an O/R X and catback, but the car did run a little lean in the mid-range which my tuner cleared up...it ran much stronger throughout the powerband after he tuned it, compared to how ran right after I installed the exhaust. I hope this helped...Good luck! :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread