New diff problems (clunking and squealling)

pipeliner

Established Member
Just had a True trac installed and am trying to resolve some problems.

The car makes a clunking noise (not the one where you shift) at times at about 35 mph and up. If im in the gas it makes the noise. If I back out it pretty much stops. Just a little (just setting my foot on gas makes noise return) Trying to fix this problem and get some answers

1:When we lifted the car we could grab the driveshaft and spin it. I could turn the shaft and go about another 10 degrees after I felt the endplay before the wheels whould turn. Is this normal?

2:WHen turning the drive shaft I could actually see the half shafts move up and down a tad bit. Is this normal?

3:Could pinion angle or drive shaft location cause this problem? Like I said its not a vibe but a slight clunking and squealing after 35 mph

cobra23

Established Member
Recommend check your differential fluid level. A lot of the differentials leak slowly when the rtv sealant gives out. I noticed a leak on mine when I changed the fuel filter. When I filled it, it was a pint low. I had no idea how long it had been leaking

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
the noise above 35 mph that goes away when you back out is it a howl ? if so sounds like the ring and pinion are not set up properly and will not last like that.

The halfshafts you say move, do the shafts shift around in their sockets ? if so there could be excessive wear and a failure could be close, or are they solid in the socket and the shafts are bent and twisted from brute force ? Both scenarios could cause a vibration above 35 and go away when you let off, a bad u joint could too.
It would seem like the axles are so hard that they wouldnt bend and twist up they would just break, Does anyone know the rockwell hardness of a stock halfshaft ?

Users who are viewing this thread