New Dyno Numbers after new Mods

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
So this past winter I added a VMP high flow elbow, VMP 67mm throttle body and a 2.4 pulley from a 2.5. Before these mods I dynoed at 629/620 on the dyno jet from VMP at Shelby fest.

Today I went to a dyno in town to get some new numbers finally. (Keep in mind that first stock baseline was 499/471 at this very same place). New numbers are 628/646.......... IAT2 was at 140* and only climbed down to 134 between pulls. Outside was 86* with 28% humidity.

Now I know different dynoes show different numbers and you cannot compare the two. BUT! With the mods I have I should be well above 650.

Very confused why my IAT2 was so high. Pretty sure that made my numbers drop by pulling timing. No racing on the way there and around a 30 minute cool down before going on. 1st pull was way worse then the 628/646.
Any ideas?

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
If you haven't done anything to the SC cooling system recently, then its probably the IC pump.
If you did do something (i.e. adding a bigger reservoir) then there might air pockets trapped in the system.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Had issues earlier this summer with no flow in coolant reservoir. Burped it and it sarted flowing again.

May have got heat soaked on the way there. It's a cool 86* degree day today with over cast

Highway driving its down to 109* iat2

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
If you were on VMP tune you were pulling timing the whole time. I think it starts pulling around 130*?? Unless you're on E85.

You won't lose much at 130*, probably 1-2* of timing.
When you go over 140* it starts to pull timing aggressively.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Most likely its the pump, it starts to go on and off before it completely fails.
Depends on the car and configuration.

A dyno pull with no pump/fluid will get you 170+ iat2 in a heartbeat.

Even if the "pull" is later, it scales very quickly above a stated threshold.

I can tell the op you're down at least 20 rwhp rwhp at that temp.
You won't lose much at 130*, probably 1-2* of timing.
When you go over 140* it starts to pull timing aggressively.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
I don't think it's the Ic pump. I do have a 170* Thermostat. But how often do you need to replace them? I put it in with about 1k miles in 2012. I now have almost 19k miles now. Any more suggestions why my motor is so damn hot?

Could I have a bad thermostat?

Last edited:

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I think the t-stat would be stuck open if it fails, not sure about that though. If it stuck close you'll overheat the engine, which you'll defiantly notice.

Mainn

Established Member
I don't think it's the Ic pump. I do have a 170* Thermostat. But how often do you need to replace them? I put it in with about 1k miles in 2012. I now have almost 19k miles now. Any more suggestions why my motor is so damn hot?

Could I have a bad thermostat?

Thermostat wouldn't greatly affect IAT2's; more water temperature.

140* is high, but not over-the-top high. You're definitely down on power because of it though. Are your fans on the heat exchanger operating correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread