New engine build. What should I be spending?

Deric

Established Member
So I've got a 2003 Cobra with just under 23k miles on it. The car was making 750+ hp.

Last spring it developed a tick or a light knock. It was hard to locate the sound, even with several car guys and mechanic friends doing their best. I brought it to a local shop who has a reputation for extensive experience with Mustangs. They had no definitive answer either. It honestly didn't sound bad at all. I've heard worse last for a long long time.

I contemplated putting the car on my dad's two-post lift and working on it during the weekends that I visit. But I realized that would probably end up taking years. Eventually, I decided to send the car off to Livernois. I wanted the job done once and done right. I expected it to be a little spendy, but it would be worth it for piece of mind.

Long story short: Livernois pulled the motor and found some extensive damage. The block was already .020" over, we knew that, so it's useless. Crank is still good, cams are still good. Those are the big money items. Piston ring lands were peeled up, heads were pretty chewed up. Supposedly the bearing were showing wear and rods may have gotten hot. I am still a little shady on the details of these parts right now. Parts list of the damaged motor and pictures are below.

I just got my quote to get the car fixed and back in my possession, its going to cost over $26k. That price is a complete stroker build and installation including the crank and cams, rockers and all the little stuff, so it's a little overshot. But Ill still be around $20k after skimming off whats left off my motor. At that price I'd just buy another Cobra. The car ran and drove fine and power didnt seem to effected. I almost wish I had kept it and enjoyed it while it ran, for that price. What's the worse that would happen, I'd need a new motor??

Question
: What would you guys do in this situation? I'd like to stay in the 700-900hp range (i know, its going to cost money so I cant be too picky). I've considered taking the car back and pulling parts in over the next few years. Or parting the car out to get a little cash and getting another one. I can t justify spending more than the cost of another cobra just to get this one running again.

Engine Parts list:
Engine:
.20 over stock iron block
Diamond pistons
stock manley rods with upgraded arp rod bolts
arp main studs
arp head studs
cometic head gaskets
Crower stage 3 cams
comp beehive springs retatainer and locks
exhaust port port matched to headers

supercharger:
polished KB 2.8 H
accufab single blade throttle body
billet flow upper pulley(3.4, 3.1")
metco 9" lower
metco belt tensioner
HBH cai
sct 2600 mass air meter
low vacuum actuator

fuel system:
sumped gas tank
CPR billet fuel rails
seimens deka 60lb injectors
twin bosch 255 lph external pumps
CPR fuel filter
aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
-10 supply line
-8 return

IMG_1521_zpsn4ajsolw.jpg

IMG_1520_zps5ht3zxef.jpg

IMG_1522_zpsjogfolxe.jpg

IMG_1519_zpsi3kltdk1.jpg

IMG_1517_zpsw5z6yc2d.jpg

IMG_1513_zpsrctzslvn.jpg

IMG_1515_zpskv2dthjl.jpg

IMG_1518_zps9hofisl3.jpg

IMG_1516_zps70t6ddzh.jpg

IMG_1514_zpsrppahqml.jpg

Last edited:

RJ13GT

Established Member
26k is a little too much i think. I mean I bought my 2013 Gt brand new for 29k.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is anything else getting done for that price? Have they given you an itemized list? I thought the iron blocks could take .030" overbore? If you need a new block and pistons have you thought about a big bore set up?

Last edited:

Deric

Established Member
Yeah, I got an official quote. I didn't know if they would appreciate me posting it up for everyone to see.

It shows a 4v big bore stroker (9.4:1) to be $6800 and stage 3 heads at $4200, so that's a big chunk of it right there.

It also includes small stuff like a few gallons of c85 for a tune and shipping costs for my 2.8 to go back to KB for a refresh.

RJ13GT

Established Member
If it were me i would either take the car back and look for a crate engine of some sort or go to a less gourmet shop.

cj428mach

Established Member
+750rwhp on 60lb injectors? You mention c85....... are you upgrading injectors?

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
get a teksid block stock bore for $400? Don't even really need that worked .020 over to make 750 again but if you want to it could take it. Good rods/pistons and get a set of used heads and have them worked. There were some Roush CNC'd heads in the market here for sale a short time ago for less than $4200 I remember that much. That's solid, reliable, and saves you 70 lbs off the front end! Oh, and 3x cheaper!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Buy 46x shortblock and have it installed, call it good.. Find a set of used heads on here.. You don't need stg 3 heads and cams etc.. That's so much money..

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
holy s**t…..seems like a raping or at the very least "navigation" towards the most outrageous setup possible. Should have been at least 3 options for you to size up different budgets

isn't there a member here that works there? help a fellow svtperformance brutha out, gees lol

fr03cobra

Established Member
Just got through with this:

new heads:2400
Port polish,cams and springs: 3000

Boss block stroker parts 5000

Miscellaneous parts and labor about 4000

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Aluminator longblock $6800. Your done...

This ^^^ or some other crate engine MMR has some.

I hear lots of horror stories about shops building motors. I say leave the motor building to people that do it all day everyday. Buy a creat engine and get some piece of mind. The stocker will make and handle 750hp.

ctgreddy

Established Member
holy s**t…..seems like a raping or at the very least "navigation" towards the most outrageous setup possible. Should have been at least 3 options for you to size up different budgets

isn't there a member here that works there? help a fellow svtperformance brutha out, gees lol

Yup, sure do. Walk by OP's car every day. Always wondered if he was on here lol.

Sadly I dont think I can get any better pricing, but you can for sure get the pricing down more if you go with a less extravagant build. That's the trouble with some of our sales guys is they shoot the initial estimates for the best of the best, no expense spared and a lot of people get sticker shock. It's A LOT of money and way more than I'd ever stick into my car. But with that said we're not mmr and dont do anything half assed. It'd be a top shelf set up. Or I'm sure they could make you up an estimate for a stock cube setup with a stock teksid or cast block, minor head work, no blower work, etc. I'm not in the sales department and have no idea what costs what, but before you decide to have the car made back into a roller and get it back discuss with steve(I'm assuming that's who you're dealing with) about other options.

ctgreddy

Established Member
This ^^^ or some other crate engine MMR has some.

I hear lots of horror stories about shops building motors. I say leave the motor building to people that do it all day everyday. Buy a creat engine and get some piece of mind. The stocker will make and handle 750hp.

We do build engines all day every day. There's always an engine being built/torn apart/inspected/machined etc through the day. Everythings done in house. MMR would be much cheaper, for a much cheaper build. The only other company I'd put in the same category as us is L&M and they're not cheap either, with good reason.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The only other company I'd put in the same category as us is L&M and they're not cheap either, with good reason.
I disagree Mike is quite fair in his pricing while this quote is a JOKE, $20K reusing his crank and rods or $26K for new? $6K for a Kellogg and some H-beams? Billet I-beams aren't needed for 750.... either way $6K is a Big markup...

ctgreddy

Established Member
He just said above the big bore shortblock was 6800, I bet L&M wouldn't be much, if any, cheaper than that using all new parts.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
I wouldn't purchase a stroker. The life is short on those engines, many threads if you search. L&M quoted me a fully forged top to bottom engine with core for 15K. I believe cams and degree were another 3~4k. 26K is absurd

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I wouldn't purchase a stroker. The life is short on those engines, many threads if you search. L&M quoted me a fully forged top to bottom engine with core for 15K. I believe cams and degree were another 3~4k. 26K is absurd

I know of motors Mike has done reusing the rods,crank with new pistons and fasteners in the $5K range...

Users who are viewing this thread