New engine, question about driving / tuning

Ourobos

Established Member
Long story short, bought and 03 with a busted piston. I have had a reputable local build my engine with .020" Diamond pistons, I bumped compression a little to 9.6:1. I had full exhaust (long tubes, offroad x-pipe) put on. Other than that and a 2.8 pulley it's pretty much stock. I drove the car before it was disassembled, other than the ticking from the broken ring land, it seemed to run fine. I'm told there is some spark knock (could be exhaust, muffler was super tight to the car with new exhaust). He recommended I trailer it to the tuner on Thursday.. I'd prefer to baby it there to seat the rings etc. Question is, what could cause the spark knock, if that's even what it is. He says he can hear at under a load about 3000 rpm. I fully trust his engine building and assembling capabilities so something wrong there is out of the equation FYI. Any ideas appreciated on what I can check. Fuel pressure is ~30 idling and around 40 under a load also.

Ourobos

Established Member
Well I picked it up today.. Gently drove it.. Got up to 6-8 psi once.. Didn't really hear anything, maybe an exhaust rattle? It goes to the tuner Thursday, we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread