New exhaust on the 2013 EcoBoost:

Shaun@AED

Crawled under the truck one day and noticed the tiny 2.5" Resonator setup and figured it was likely the largest restriction in the system (toss up between that and the cats), so I spent some time researching a new exhaust setup. Ideally I wanted a 3.5" single, but I could not find anything to fit the bill. 3" or 4" were my options so I picked out the SOLO 4" for the 'J' pipe as it is said to eliminate in-cab drone.

After reviewing online sound clips I was not impressed with the sound, in fact none of the EcoBoost exhaust setups sound good to me, so I came up with a plan on installing as much muffler as possible in an effort to keep it as quiet as possible, and of course they had to be straight-thru design.

I've always been a DynoMax fan, so I ordered up a couple UltraFlow SS mufflers from their online catalog after carefully measuring the SOlO setup to ensure good fitment. I called DynoMax to ensure I was getting the quietest setup possible while maintaining zero restriction.

The Proposed setup:
IMG_0045_zps5f9f3c86.jpg

IMG_0044_zpsc10fe294.jpg

Since my truck has no chrome / polished pieces I ditched the Solo 5" (blingin') tail pipe in favor of a custom unit as I could not find any tip I really liked. It was an experiment and it turned out OK. I picked up an 18" piece of Oval tubing from SpinTech and cut/welded it in place.

I also decided the entire exhaust needed to blend in with the under carriage from behind the truck so the over the axle and rear section went out for Ceramic coating.

Here's how it sat before install compared to the stock system: (hangers were welded onto the smaller muffler once installed)
IMG_0061_zps3c9e6b33.jpg

IMG_0062_zps8c49e3b1.jpg

And the custom tail pipe:
IMG_0066_zps8158fe23.jpg

IMG_0065_zps80e293ef.jpg

I was initially very disappointed in the sound, but it quieted down enough that I can barely hear the exhaust in the cab with the windows up and radio OFF. Absolutely no drone thanks to the 'J' pipe and although peak HP / TQ numbers did not improve (Likely due to improper testing), the turbos do spool up faster off the line so throttle response has increased, which is nice.

FWIW I ran the truck on the dyno with no exhaust an peak numbers increased by 7, installed the exhaust and numbers dropped from there by 3. Again, I believe it's improper testing as these ECU's control not only boost and throttle at WOT, but power output as well. What is programmed is what you get, period. Since no tune changes were done it makes sense the ECU limited throttle and / or boost to control power output to what was programmed. I did not log the setup to confirm throttle angles and boost were identical pre/post exhaust, so the benefit of an exhaust for HP/TQ gains is inconclusive IMO. Although logic dictates lowering the back pressure post turbo is never a bad thing.

So, in the end what I got:
1. Very quiet 'ricer' sounding turbo V6 exhaust with no drone.
2. Increased throttle response due to less back pressure post turbo (increased boost response)

Last edited:

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I like the black oval exhaust tip.

confused by the J pipe. never seen/read about these. Are these offered by other aftermarket manufacturers? I guess the in cabin drone must be bad enough to have these made up.

Shaun@AED

I like the black oval exhaust tip.

confused by the J pipe. never seen/read about these. Are these offered by other aftermarket manufacturers? I guess the in cabin drone must be bad enough to have these made up.

Same here, never heard of it before, but it does work. I think only Solo does the J pipe for the F150.

exhaust thread with no sound clips? yeesh

Not gonna sugar coat it, it sounds like ass, just like all the other Ecoboost sound clips I've heard online. This one is significantly quieter, but it literally sounds like someone passing gas in my back seat.

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
I like the exhaust tip lol. The sound these things make is one of the two things holding me back from buying one. The other is long term maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread