New Gears

9svt8

Bleeds Ford Blue
Established Member
Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that I am getting new gears put in on Saturday. The guy who is doing them, is a good friend of mine and he's set up rears for me in the past. Never any noise, Never an issue whatsoever from his installs. I'm not sure what people are paying these days for installs, but I know it's not cheap! What is cool about this go round for me, is he agreed to let me do all the work, with him looking over my shoulder and telling me how to do it all. That is one piece of knowledge that I have been wanting to get a hold of. So...the reason for this post is...

If after doing this, and I feel very comfortable with it, I'll offer my services to MACA members for a helluva lot less than going somewhere to have them done. A couple years ago, I called a place whom I won't mention, told them I had all the parts, and fluids...I just needed them installed. I was quoted 480.00 minimum.

I'll report back, and let everyone know how well things went. :rockon:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
It is a great offer but I would suggest doing several with someone watching over you before offering your services. I don't wanna see you get hung out to dry trying to help someone else. Goo luck and take pictures.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
I called 3 places in Westminster today about getting gears setup. They were all 3 hours in labor and ~$250. That was me carrying a bare housing in the door, with a pinion and ring gear and spool already setup. Then carrying an assembled housing/ring gear/spool/pinion back out the door. No axles, no brakes, etc.

Needless to say I am going to do it myself instead of paying that kind of coin.

See thread:
Billable hours for ring and pinion install? - Yellow Bullet Forums

9svt8

Bleeds Ford Blue
Established Member
Did the rear end this morning. What an experience that was...I must admit, although things went well and went smooth, I would have to do a couple more to be comfortable doing it on my own....

However, those of you in MACA...and want their gears done, and done right...I've got a deal for you.

Ring and Pinion - $100.00 installed
Ring and Pinion with new bearings installed - $200.00

You bring all your parts and fluids.

PM me, and I'll give you the details.
This is the third set up he has done for me, and everytime it's been butter smooth, and dead silent. No grinding, no whining, no nothing.

Sent from Tap-A-Junk

9svt8

Bleeds Ford Blue
Established Member
The car had 4.10's when I bought it, but the guy put those in himself and never checked the backlash. When I got the car, I took it to my guy and we checked it. It had 25 thousandths, and Ford specs anywhere between 9 - 15 I think...so those were ruined.

I had a set of 3.55's out of a 04 Mach 1 with only a thousand miles on them, so I went with those for a while. I missed the 4.10's, so that's what went in yesterday. We got the backlash set to 8 thousandths yesterday so once they break in they should loosen up to around 9 - 10 thousandths which will be perfect. All new bearings, and since my fluids only had 8000 miles on it, we drained it, strained it and put it back in. Once I put about 500 miles on, I'll change it out for fresh.

Sent from Tap-A-Junk

TRBO VNM

Did the rear end this morning. What an experience that was...I must admit, although things went well and went smooth, I would have to do a couple more to be comfortable doing it on my own....

However, those of you in MACA...and want their gears done, and done right...I've got a deal for you.

Ring and Pinion - $100.00 installed
Ring and Pinion with new bearings installed - $200.00

You bring all your parts and fluids.

PM me, and I'll give you the details.
This is the third set up he has done for me, and everytime it's been butter smooth, and dead silent. No grinding, no whining, no nothing.

Sent from Tap-A-Junk

Is that for new gears, used gears? Does it matter?

What if they whine after? Will you redo for free?

That $200 with bearings, does that include axle seals, bearings and the races in the pumpkin?

9svt8

Bleeds Ford Blue
Established Member
Yes, new gears/used gears doesn't matter...$100.00 installed.

New gears/used gears and all bearings...$200.00 installed.

You would have to ask about the redo if there is any noise, but like I said earlier...third rear for me done by him, and no issues.

Started it up on the lift, put it in third gear and let it go for a couple of minutes, stood there at the rear and it was dead silent.

Sent from Tap-A-Junk

TRBO VNM

Yes, new gears/used gears doesn't matter...$100.00 installed.

New gears/used gears and all bearings...$200.00 installed.

You would have to ask about the redo if there is any noise, but like I said earlier...third rear for me done by him, and no issues.

Started it up on the lift, put it in third gear and let it go for a couple of minutes, stood there at the rear and it was dead silent.

Sent from Tap-A-Junk

I thought this was you doing them?

9svt8

Bleeds Ford Blue
Established Member
I was offering to do it if I felt comfortable after doing it the first time. I will admit, after going through that experience...I can say that there is truly an art form to it to do it right. So I talked to my guy, and he agreed to do it for fellow MACA members for those prices.

Sent from inside "The Man Cave"

Users who are viewing this thread