New GenII Whipple Numbers

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
There still hasn’t been much info put out there about the Gen II Whipple blowers, so I figured I’d contribute further and share my numbers and thoughts with everyone.

I originally bought the blower back in February, but held off on installing it and getting it tuned to finish up on some other mods first. I was finally able to have time to get the car tuned a little over a month ago.

My power adding mods are:

Gen II Whipple 2.3L @ 17lbs. (3.25” pulley)
JLT High Boost CAI (Unmodified)
BilletFlow TB
Mac Long Tubes
Mac O/R H
Flowmaster Cat Back

I threw on the 17lb. 3.25’’ pulley and went with that. I didn’t have time on the way to stop and get any higher octane in the tank, so on 91 pump the car put out 568RWHP/523RWTQ, with just 16 degrees of timing. Pull after pull, the car continued to make more power all the way down to the last pull in which it made the most power (568RWHP).

I am very happy with the numbers! Across the rest of the country, some may feel that 568RWHP isn’t much on 17lbs. But considering how limited we are only having 91 octane at the pump, I think the numbers are up to par.

DynoGraphPic.jpg

I was honestly surprised with the numbers. I expected them to be lower. There was fear the car was making more boost than 17lbs on the low octane I had in, so I got in and watched the boost gauge during a pull. It pegged at exactly 17lbs through my long tubes – which was also surprising.

There were no “dyno tricks” (ice on blower or fan during runs) or anything used to ‘inflate’ the numbers. These were straight SAE corrected numbers, with admittedly good weather for a July (CA) summer afternoon at 80 degrees.

I also got a separate 20 degree timing 94 octane tune. I will be running this 94 octane tune 100% of the time since my car is not a DD. As mentioned, I didn’t have time to locate a place to find any race gas to mix in the day of the tune, so I couldn’t get any accurate numbers with the 94 octane tune.

I did end up going to a different dyno to get some numbers on the 20 degree tune, but the dyno operator let off early on the runs in fear of the car going lean. You can see that in the second picture below. The blue line is the pump gas tune, and the red is the 94 octane tune. It looks like he let out at about 6200ish on the pump gas tune, and 5900ish on the 94 octane tune. There was no torque reading at all during that dyno day, as shown in the picture as well. I’m confident the car has a little more power than what is graphed in the second picture, but it doesn’t matter much to me – the car is fast as ****!

DynoSheetPic.jpg

For those of you who don’t have a Twin Screw, or have never been in a Cobra with one, the best way I can describe the feeling is as the RPM’s increase, so does your heart rate. It’s just sheer brutal power. With the Eaton, the car had the infamous “neck-snapping” low end torque that made the car fun and got your adrenaline rushing. IMO, the Whipple doesn’t feel anything like the Eaton. The feeling is more of a “body pinned-to-seat, gut wrenching” type of feeling than it is just “neck-snapping”. It still hits hard down low, but it just pulls unbelievably hard in the upper RPM range - all the way to redline. That’s definitely where it really shines at. As you can see from the dyno sheet, the car easily revs to 7K, and I can take advantage of the extra RPM due to the obvious much better efficiency over the Eaton.

HUGE thanks to my tuner Shaun@AED for tuning the shit out of this thing, and for all the help with the minor issues I’ve run across trying to make time to get the car on the dyno. The car runs better than stock, and much better than any other combinations I’ve had with the car thus far (can’t ask for anything better than that!). AED has always treated my car like it was one of their own, and has always had my back when I’ve had issues with the car that needed to be addressed. It’s good to have an honest shop that has great work in the area. Hats off to those guys.

:beer:

Last edited:

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Good, strong numbers... Great example of the Whipple experience as well.. Accurately described..

SSSSIKH

I ♥ BOOST
Established Member
Great write up B!

i cant wait to get my whipple...this post makes me want to just charge my CC for one!! you bastard!

enjoy it!!

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
Thanks guys.

I've had the blower since early this year, just wanted finish up a few other mods before I put it on. ..... And of course, this is one of those mods that I wished I had done a lot sooner. Lol

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
I also forgot to mention that on those pulls from the second graph that showed lean, the wideband sensor was taken out of the tailpipe with a couple of exhaust leaks back there. I was at the shop the following week getting A/F ratio verified. It read absolutely perfect on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread